2019 Hemi Premium Fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm late to the party here but go with what the owner's manual recommends. The 6.4 Hemi in the 2500 is NOT the same 6.4 HEMI in those Challengers and Chargers. Those cars are tuned to run, they have hotter cams, different valve timing and other engine tweeks to get that 490 hp. No need to go with a higher octane on your truck, won't make any difference.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I run regular in my 5.7..I get over 20 mpg on the highway and have got over 21 a cpl. times..seems to run fine. in the summer I have run a few tanks of mid grade when towing, thinking the boost in octane may help. I have also run some of the no-ethanol gas you can get down here..doesnt seem to make any difference.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I use 93 in my PW.. only because i can get it cheaper than 89 at COSCO lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I use 93 in my PW.. only because i can get it cheaper than 89 at COSCO lol

Probably because it's full of alcohol. Better check into that - the fuel system may not be built of materials to resist the higher solvency of high alcohol blends. I don't recall what the Owner's Manual says.

Check your fuel mileage too - the much higher fuel consumption for alcohol is due to much lower energy content of alcohol per unit volume (gallon). So you aren't getting a bargain because you have to fill up more often.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Probably because it's full of alcohol. Better check into that - the fuel system may not be built of materials to resist the higher solvency of high alcohol blends. I don't recall what the Owner's Manual says.

Check your fuel mileage too - the much higher fuel consumption for alcohol is due to much lower energy content of alcohol per unit volume (gallon). So you aren't getting a bargain because you have to fill up more often.

You would be hard pressed to find gasoline that does contain up to like 15% Ethanol these days. There are only a few very specific places which still sell gasoline containing 0% ethanol.

And trust me. i know all about the E.. i ran E85 on my race car for years. :D

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You would be hard pressed to find gasoline that does contain up to like 15% Ethanol these days. There are only a few very specific places which still sell gasoline containing 0% ethanol.

And trust me. i know all about the E.. i ran E85 on my race car for years. :D

Not sure my point was clear - the reason the high octane gasoline cost less is because it is spiked high in ethanol - ethanol is an octane enhancer. It "costs" less because it is consumed faster and it used to be subsidized by taxpayers as corporate welfare to giant commodity crop growers and distillers (Archer Daniels Midland & Cargill). The whole thing is a sham, is the point.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Not sure my point was clear - the reason the high octane gasoline cost less is because it is spiked high in ethanol - ethanol is an octane enhancer. It "costs" less because it is consumed faster and it used to be subsidized by taxpayers as corporate welfare to giant commodity crop growers and distillers (Archer Daniels Midland & Cargill). The whole thing is a sham, is the point.

Right. So i dont know if that is true.. But even if it is, it wouldnt matter. Because 85,87,89,91,93 octane fuels in the Majority of this country ALL contain up to 15% ethanol.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Right. So i dont know if that is true.. But even if it is, it wouldnt matter. Because 85,87,89,91,93 octane fuels in the Majority of this country ALL contain up to 15% ethanol.

That is not true. The ethanol content directly correlates to the octane rating. Please research prior to posting. I worked in this biz for 20+ years, retired engineer.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
That is not true. The ethanol content directly correlates to the octane rating. Please research prior to posting. I worked in this biz for 20+ years, retired engineer.

im not trying to discredit your experience. but on literally every pump ive ever been to it says can contain up to 15% ethanol. No matter the grade.

So 87 rated octane gasoline at the pump will more than likely be like an 84 octane. but with the use of Ethanol, brings you up to 87.

This is the case with all grades of pump gas.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If a vehicle is detuning itself because of knock and you run higher octane and get better mileage because it’s running more efficient then you’re probably running low quality gas to begin with and should find better gas.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
im not trying to discredit your experience. but on literally every pump ive ever been to it says can contain up to 15% ethanol. No matter the grade.

So 87 rated octane gasoline at the pump will more than likely be like an 84 octane. but with the use of Ethanol, brings you up to 87.

This is the case with all grades of pump gas.
You've missed an important part: may contain up to 15%.
That doesn't mean all grades have 15%
What @HEMIMANN stated is more likely the case. E85 has an octane rating of 108 and is popular for boosted engines.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
You've missed an important part: may contain up to 15%.
That doesn't mean all grades have 15%
What @HEMIMANN stated is more likely the case. E85 has an octane rating of 108 and is popular for boosted engines.
I still disagree I'm sorry. Maybe 25 years ago. But today all grades of gasoline will contain a percentage of ethanol. UNLESS, it is specifically advertised as being ethanol free.

Such as in some places in Utah. You can get 87,89 and 91 octane gas. Which will all contain a percentage of E.. but then they have a forth option for 88 octane ethanol free gas.

So the original and really only point to my argument is that I'm not wasting money by using 93 octane. Which can contain E. Which as he stated take more to achieve the same burn as gasoline.

Because even a lesser grade of gas will still contain E. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I still disagree I'm sorry. Maybe 25 years ago. But today all grades of gasoline will contain a percentage of ethanol. UNLESS, it is specifically advertised as being ethanol free.
Put your reading glasses on or have Google read it for you. @HEMIMANN was pointing out that the higher the octane rating of the fuel, the greater percentage of ethenol in fuels that have the "May contain up to 15% Ethanol" label. Not all grades of gasoline have the same percentage of ethenol.

Your the only one bringing up Ethanol free fuel which is another conversation.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Put your reading glasses on or have Google read it for you. @HEMIMANN was pointing out that the higher the octane rating of the fuel, the greater percentage of ethenol in fuels that have the "May contain up to 15% Ethanol" label. Not all grades of gasoline have the same percentage of ethenol.

Your the only one bringing up Ethanol free fuel which is another conversation.
So for conversation 87 octane has 10% E. 93 octane has 15% E. I'm not disputing the differences in E percentage in different grades

I just cant agree that an extra 5% of E will mean I spend more money on 93 octane with the loss of MPG.. even though it's cheaper than 87 octane.

So COSCO 93 cost me like 2.15 a gallon. Where at other gas stations. The 89 octane (recommended to use in my truck) costs just the same, if not a few cents more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the gas stations in my area have “May contain up to 10% ethanol” stickers. Only one station sells gas with a “Contains 15% ethanol” sticker and it’s actually sold as E15 88 octane”. I’ve bought it a few times in the past and the mileage seemed no less ****** than it is with 87 or 89.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 6.4L will run perfectly fine on 87 octane. I run it in mine all the time. The "factory tune" someone mentioned caught my eye and is pretty much false... The "factory tune" is based on the gas that they use to do their EPA emissions testing with. The engine uses knock sensors to listen for detination, if it is detected it will adjust the timing to compensate for it. The computer handles it and tunes it as you drive it. I do use 89 octane in the summer when it gets warm and I am hauling my backhoe around. I have seen absolutely no issue with 87, no difference in MPG and no performance differences. Run 87 Octane and maybe 89 in hot weather pulling a load and you will be fine. Anything other than that and you are literally burning money..... No pun intended...

Patriot_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I fill my 2021 1500 Limited up with the non-Ethanol 90 octane grade from a station that sells "Top Tier Gasoline" (whatever that really means). Because we are working from home, there's weeks where I may not drive more than 30 miles, and I don't want the ethanol sitting in the truck for long periods of time.

Have the auto manufacturers adapted engine designs so that ethanol no longer causes problems if it sits in engines for long periods of times?