AlfaOBD Support For 06~12 Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I need help, I bought 55w HID but they flicker like hell, doesn't turn on to full capacity and sometimes doesn't even turn on... can someone point me to the right direction with AlphaOBD?
In 2013+ Rams the setting is "HID Present" and you set it to "Yes" it may be the same for you too.

Siynister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been reading through this thread but it doesn’t seem that anyone has figured out how to fix the hyper flash issue on 2012. Installed LED switchbacks for turn signals. I would for them to be on as DRL as well but I have hyper flash issue after about the 4 blink on activating turn signals. This is case for left and right. Would love to hear if anyone has fixed this issue with AlfaOBd.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Depending on the year of your truck (most 3rd gens) you may need to install the LED power resisters on each light power line to get them to work properly. They are very low ohm 50 watt resisters. Most all LED light sellers can supply them and also instructions on installing them.

Mike

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Turn the key as far as it goes without starting the truck. This is called the Mar position.

Open AlfaOBD and complete the connection process.

Then...

SELECT CAR MODEL:
RAM 2500 (DJ/Dr)

SELECT FUNCTION:
BODY COMPUTER

SELECT CONTROL UNIT:
Central Gateway Module MY2006-12 Non-PowerNet

Select procedure to start:
"Car configuration change" (last option at the bottom of the menu)

Select option:
Reconfigurable Parameters: DRL Configuration (Set this to Canada)

Then...
Reconfigurable Parameters: DRL Lamp Location (Set this to Turn Signal DRL)

Exit the app.
Remove the key.
Start the truck.
Put the truck into R or D.
Enjoy the DRLs.
I just got the OBD Mx+, AlphaOBD on an Android device. Tried to connect, and it fought me tooth and nail. When I finally got into it, I don't have this in the Alpha menu:
SELECT CONTROL UNIT:
My choices start with 2013. What the heck?

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The initial download was corrupted. Deinstalle/reinstalled, the menu is complete. Still can't connect via bluetooth

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I just got the OBD Mx+, AlphaOBD on an Android device. Tried to connect, and it fought me tooth and nail. When I finally got into it, I don't have this in the Alpha menu:
SELECT CONTROL UNIT:
My choices start with 2013. What the heck?
Its been a minute since I've been on Alfa so I may be a bit rusty, but you'll have to switch from the "RAM 1500 (DS/DT)" to the "RAM 2500/3500" or something along those lines. Then you should see the option for the 2006-2012.

TrappHouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New guy here, searched and couldn't find the info. I've got a 2006 1500 SLT. No factory fog lights, but the connecter was there. Installed some morimoto LED fogs, a Mopar wiring harness, headlight switch with fogs. I have an obdlink mx+ and alfaobd. Tried config change "enable foglights" also tried "enable/disable front foglights" in the page before "change configuration" page. No-go... haven't done any "analog" troubleshooting yet (checking voltage etc) ... it's 10° out...

Am I going to need resistors? I also have the "b1660" code. The one for open circuit on the foglights.

TIA

FrostySubxero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone else had any luck or know of someone who has with replacing the WIN module and programming it through AlfaOBD? I had a set of new FOBs from Amazon I got to work, but I can't program my new Gen2 WIN module to work. I sent AlfaOBD support contact an email and while in the process of waiting to hear back from them I thought I would give here a shot (email I sent to them copied and pasted below):

Truck is a 2012 Ram 1500 Express 4x4

My WIN module has been acting up (shutting truck off while driving) so I bought a new Gen2 WIN module from Mopar. I bought a OBDLink MX+ OBD2 scanner from Amazon and paired it with AlfaOBD version for Windows10 on my ASUS TUF A15 Laptop. I was able to program 2 new keys to my old WIN module as I wanted to test the waters with AlfaOBD (though one key's lock and unlock buttons don't work, but other one works 100% and both start and drive the truck). I attempted to reprogram the first key that buttons don't work to no avail. When I attempt to program the new WIN module AlfaOBD gives me the error "requested operation is not supported by the module". I have tried transferring the secret key from the original WIN module to the PCM (though the PCM is fine) and then attempted to transfer the secret key to the new WIN module with no success. Old WIN works with the keys AlfaOBD programmed, but I can not seem to get AlfaOBD to program the new WIN module.

I'm wondering if it's because I bought it straight from MOPAR and it has a higher security in the WIN than DORMAN? Also doing a little bit more research although MY new WIN from Mopar is labeled as a Gen2 it may actually be a Gen3 and my OEM a Gen2. As my OEM has no writing on it like Gen2s do, but can't take a physical key like the Gen1s can.

Truck:
2012 Ram 1500 Express 4x4

Scanner:
OBDLink MX+ OBD2

AlfaOBD:
AlfaOBD for Windows (as far as I know the latest version)

Laptop:
ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz FHD IPS-Type, AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 16GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD, Gigabit Wi-Fi 5, Windows 10 Home

Appreciate any help in advance.

Last edited:

Zanctank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I recently activated the factory theft alarm on my 2006 2500 Mega Diesel with AlfaOBD. Kudos to Big Daddy's House on YouTube showing how on his 2014. The menu items on 2006 are different but I found "Vehicle Config 2: Interior Vehicle Theft Alarm Configuration" on the "Car Configuration Change" menu and selected "VTA". Who knew the alarm was there all along and just needed activating. I wonder how much dealer would have charged

My only other change not mentioned before is "Illuminated Approach Time". My headlights originally wouldn't come on when unlocking but after installing a new TIPM they would come on for 90 sec. Seemed excessive and, for diesels, the last thing you want is more load on startup especially in winter. I set to 10 sec.

BillyNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I bit the bullet and spent $200 on a OBDLink MX+ and the AlfaOBD app (android). I hooked up to my 2010 1500. I changed the BCM/Configuration Change/Vehicle Config 4: Rear LED Stop, Tail and Turn Lamps Present for RT after I swapped out my rear incandescent lamps for supposedly "LED Anti flash Canbus Ready for Automotive Brake Tail Light, Error Free".

After I shutoff, wait some time, and crank 'er up, the lights hyper flash and the "Right Rear Tail light Out" error displays and fires off a matching CEL error.

It appears from reading this thread, my choices are to install inline resistors, or perhaps someone has figured out the procedure through AlphaOBD to make the change stick in the BCM.

Please Reply with your thoughts...

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently replaced the OEM dual halogen headlights in my 2011 SLT with OEM quads. I had previously purchased AlfaOBD and was using an ELM327 compatible VEEPEAK BT module for for troubleshooting and diagnosis that I use on my BMW but I was getting a write error when attempting to code the BCM for the quads. Turns out the VEEPEAK has a communication issue and will only read data and is not able to write to the BCM. After buying the OBDLink MX+ is was able to get the quads coded to the truck. Still cheaper than a drive (and the hassle) of taking it to the dealer.
Lesson learned, follow the advice and lessons from others here on the forum. Don't cheap out! Thanks to everyone here for all their knowledge and experience!

ronnyek

Reaction score
I've got a 2008 Ram 3500. Its bare bones, has manual windows and door locks, and never had keyfobs.
I've got one original key, and a locksmith cloned that key. The cloned key is falling apart, so I'd ultimately just like to replace both keys.

I've got alfaobd and obdlink mx+, and can communicate fine with the PCM. After choosing RFHUB module and picking the one module that meets year (I think it was non-power something 07-09) it gives me a few service functions.

Does anyone know if any of these service functions will allow me to add additional transponder keys to my truck?
- Program Ignition Keys SKIM only
- Program RKE Only Keys
- Transfer Secret Key from PCM
- Transfer Secret Key to PCM

I haven't tried contacting my local dealer, but I've been told they only program stuff thats less than 10 yr or something. I'd also really prefer not to have to have another janky clone key.

Canadianbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 outdoorsman 5.7
Is there a way to enable the windows down feature using my key fob for a 2012 ram outdoorsman? Just tried doing it but don't have the option to do so

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Is there a way to enable the windows down feature using my key fob for a 2012 ram outdoorsman? Just tried doing it but don't have the option to do so
Screenshot_20230407_154703_AlfaOBD.jpg
Central gateway module. 06-12
Screenshot_20230407_160109_AlfaOBD.jpg
Car configuration change, then select vehicle configuration 2, windows express feature function. Front Only works. Nothing that I could find to get all 4 to work.

Canadianbreed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 outdoorsman 5.7

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally got around to disabling the DRL dropout today.

The HIDs I got only hooked up to 1 of the bulb socket so when I put on my Right turn signal both HIDs would shut off...lol..

oldiemotors

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone figure out how to query the sunroof or command it to open/close using alfaOBD? I am not getting power FROM the sunroof module TO the overhead switch (orange/green wire or B+ in the service manual). If I jumper +12v to the other three connections in the overhead switch the sunroof will operate so the sunroof module seems ok...except for it not putting out the B+ signal to the overhead switch.

icemanch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you already have two or more keys you do not need to use a programmer.

If you only have one key you have to get a pin to program the second. You can get the pin from the dealer.

I also found that Appcar can extract the pin. It sucks because you have to buy a license which is linked to the VIN and you have to use a laptop to run it but, it is slightly easier to use for some things compared to AlfaOBD.