AlphaRex headlight non support

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
L

LEt me try to straighten that out. My factory headlights, country of origin and destination : USA, are the lights with the problem. Because the failed to move the beam impact point back 5-8' ish? So that if I'm going to blind the driver in oncoming traffic with poorly adjusted lights, this will happen 5-8' later? Because there is a notch that only cuts off the top of the beam at a certain distance before the entire beam is cut off by the 100% side to side metal "flap" that is also in the OEM projectors that do not do this. Probably because cutting the distance will not change the angle. I can blind the world if I want because some genius doesn't know that the form of lifht emitted from a projector scatters and is not a lazer and will not be directed, only cut off completely. And this decision to cut my capacity to see the left side, signage, etc was made my every aftermarket retailer? That boast OEM specs?

Please reference the 2013 and 15 ram sports below and know im positive im correct when I say "that is absolutely not true"
PS I apologize for the sarcasm prior to that. But where you introduce logic to explain a bad assembly, I feel obligated to poke holes in that line of thinking
ZERO beam retardation on all 3 trucks projectors.....hmm.

View attachment 215856

View attachment 215857

View attachment 215859

View attachment 215860

View attachment 215861
Ok...here are the differences in DOT and ECE beam patterns for headlight projectors- auQdvwd.jpg

Any DOT compliant projector you buy will have a cutoff shield between the bulb and the inside off the projector lens with that stepdown pattern that is projected onto the ground in front of you- UeHjPF8.jpg

In that picture, the projectors are aimed just a little too low, so you would insert a screwdriver (or socket, depending on which housings you have) into the headlight adjustment holes on top of the fenders, and start turning one way or the other to raise the projector up and extend the beam pattern further down the road. Either way, for the way you have those projectors adjusted in the housings for that pic, that red line I have drawn is 100% normal for projectors, and will be exactly the same if you buy a different set of projectors and adjust them to the same height you have pictured.

The projectors in the pic below are adjusted a little too high, so, obviously, the beam pattern is not projected onto the road in front of you to be able to see the steps- 68IBD7s.jpg

Also, the stepdown on projectors on the left side for LHD DOT compliance is absolutely designed to reduce glare for oncoming traffic.

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok...here are the differences in DOT and ECE beam patterns for headlight projectors- auQdvwd.jpg

Any DOT compliant projector you buy will have a cutoff shield between the bulb and the inside off the projector lens with that stepdown pattern that is projected onto the ground in front of you- UeHjPF8.jpg

In that picture, the projectors are aimed just a little too low, so you would insert a screwdriver (or socket, depending on which housings you have) into the headlight adjustment holes on top of the fenders, and start turning one way or the other to raise the projector up and extend the beam pattern further down the road. Either way, for the way you have those projectors adjusted in the housings for that pic, that red line I have drawn is 100% normal for projectors, and will be exactly the same if you buy a different set of projectors and adjust them to the same height you have pictured.

The projectors in the pic below are adjusted a little too high, so, obviously, the beam pattern is not projected onto the road in front of you to be able to see the steps- 68IBD7s.jpg

Also, the stepdown on projectors on the left side for LHD DOT compliance is absolutely designed to reduce glare for oncoming traffic.

Thank you thank you thank you!! This is exactly what I have needed for the last 3 weeks since I installed my pro series Alpharex headlights. (Oem halogen).

Last edited:

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I been using the alpharex lights dual projector ones since they first came out. I added for low beams katana leds led love these lights. Over year and half and zero condensation. One issue, I get left turn signal out at random times, but they still blink normal and one led for side marker came loose and I added a bit of silicone to keep it in place and been great since. Would buy again without a second thought. Cutoff is perfect and with leds they are bright bright bright. I found smoked white leds for the rebel style grill and installed them yesterday and using Oedro leds for fog lights. Light leduled for everything, low beams, fogs and the white grill leds cost around $100 for all of them. The katana and Oedro leds been in truck for around 18 months, zero issues on my 2013 outdoorsman, I didn't have to use any resistors and zero problems.

IMG_20200718_212737_1.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
L

LEt me try to straighten that out. My factory headlights, country of origin and destination : USA, are the lights with the problem. Because the failed to move the beam impact point back 5-8' ish? So that if I'm going to blind the driver in oncoming traffic with poorly adjusted lights, this will happen 5-8' later? Because there is a notch that only cuts off the top of the beam at a certain distance before the entire beam is cut off by the 100% side to side metal "flap" that is also in the OEM projectors that do not do this. Probably because cutting the distance will not change the angle. I can blind the world if I want because some genius doesn't know that the form of lifht emitted from a projector scatters and is not a lazer and will not be directed, only cut off completely. And this decision to cut my capacity to see the left side, signage, etc was made my every aftermarket retailer? That boast OEM specs?

Please reference the 2013 and 15 ram sports below and know im positive im correct when I say "that is absolutely not true"
PS I apologize for the sarcasm prior to that. But where you introduce logic to explain a bad assembly, I feel obligated to poke holes in that line of thinking
ZERO beam retardation on all 3 trucks projectors.....hmm.

View attachment 215856

View attachment 215857

View attachment 215859

View attachment 215860

View attachment 215861

@Jimmy07 is correct. Here are my retrofitted alpharex projectors. I'm using morimoto mini h1 7.0 projectors

1d3e1f10612d3403fa38545292d03e63.jpg

Not all projectors produce the same cut-off. Some are steeper then other's. It took some getting used to after my retrofit. The stock alpharex projectors had a more gentle cut-off compared to the morimotos I used. The ds2 projectors have a more "oem" cut-off. Your headlights have a taller cut-off then most. So it's more obvious then stock. As Jimmy07 said, oem projectors lense blurs the cut-off so it's more of a gradual fade the a sharp line.

99 percent of aftermarket (ram) headlights are designed for dual/quad headlight set ups not for oem projector truck's. So an additional external adapter is required. It's cheaper than producing 2 versions of multiple headlights. If you wanted oem projectors on a quad equipped truck you'd need an adapter that would be external with resistors. Only way around it is to do what Jimmy07 did and buy the complete projector headlight wiring harness to replace the existing.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Jimmy07 is correct. Here are my retrofitted alpharex projectors. I'm using morimoto mini h1 7.0 projectors

1d3e1f10612d3403fa38545292d03e63.jpg

Not all projectors produce the same cut-off. Some are steeper then other's. It took some getting used to after my retrofit. The stock alpharex projectors had a more gentle cut-off compared to the morimotos I used. The ds2 projectors have a more "oem" cut-off. Your headlights have a taller cut-off then most. So it's more obvious then stock. As Jimmy07 said, oem projectors lense blurs the cut-off so it's more of a gradual fade the a sharp line.

99 percent of aftermarket (ram) headlights are designed for dual/quad headlight set ups not for oem projector truck's. So an additional external adapter is required. It's cheaper than producing 2 versions of multiple headlights. If you wanted oem projectors on a quad equipped truck you'd need an adapter that would be external with resistors. Only way around it is to do what Jimmy07 did and buy the complete projector headlight wiring harness to replace the existing.

This is the point I am trying to make. All 3 of my trucks where factory projectors. One I bought aftermarkets for only to get the black housings. (That is the truck in the snow)
No 30 ft cut off. It was noticeable on the garage door and thats it. So I believe I said it earlier, and not to step on anyone's toes; alpharex is junk in my mind. So I still had them and swapped my aftermarkets I bought in 2015 to my 17. Pics included. Then t
Sold my reflextive ram factory oem lights from the 17 for, well a lot. So I couldn't remember the company. Think I got at a1auto. But look at the PERDE lights and the multi car drop out, 3 car lengths. And on the right side nothing. No stagger. The drop out is even past the center of the road. Personally I would never settle on this or attempt to get used to it. Waste of money for crazy Chinese performance. If you know or have dealt with the OEM projectors you should see the multitude of problems in the pictures of the back. The "eye" is not straight (metal flap for reference) and on a side note morimoto belongs in a location similar to mine....a box that should be in the garbage but every now and again, I steal a connector or some wire. XB 35W AND XB55W gen 2 Ballasts, ignitors, error cancellors ,resistors galore, harnesses, relays= useless junk. One of Amazon's cheapest HID sets is the ONLY lamps and ballasts I have never had a problem with in 3 years. *except the wire I pinched that took months to throw a lamp out because the lamp was actually out. I dont know where, or why, or when, settling on sub par parts became cool because of a halo or some other goofy feature. But by all means if your happy and it works for you, more power to you. My ADHD drives be bat **** crazy

20200611_150630.jpg

20200615_195734.jpg

20200710_124103.jpg

20200710_124118.jpg

15952802432746234185859311658644.jpg

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you thank you thank you!! This is exactly what I have needed for the last 3 weeks since I so talked my pro series Alpharetta headlights. (Oem halogen).
You are correct about the aim. So this is my crap housings at normal ride height aimed with the 25 foot method. Cut off is at the head light center point at 25 feet on flat surface, pretty flat.
Making that other lane driver zag equal to the length of my MB C280 and my 15 Sport CC 4X4 LB. SO 40'. I dont need light that was DOT approved 1 time and then sent to China for **** poor reproduction that is no longer close to the original specs. And i can't be convinced that this is OKEY DOKEY.

However the reason projector housing where made was to control the crazy bright light that HIDsxare emitting. And to try to keep the irresponsible geniuses from causing head on collisions. So a understand an except that a few idiots have one again ruined a good thing for the masses. I actually had the police approve my lights, and was told that the low beams are meant and legal to be illuminating the road for 300' and highs for 500'

I am very curious as to what the ECE stands for in the chart. Jimmy07?

20200720_143324.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-143759_Chrome.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You are correct about the aim. So this is my crap housings at normal ride height aimed with the 25 foot method. Cut off is at the head light center point at 25 feet on flat surface, pretty flat.
Making that other lane driver zag equal to the length of my MB C280 and my 15 Sport CC 4X4 LB. SO 40'. I dont need light that was DOT approved 1 time and then sent to China for **** poor reproduction that is no longer close to the original specs. And i can't be convinced that this is OKEY DOKEY.

However the reason projector housing where made was to control the crazy bright light that HIDsxare emitting. And to try to keep the irresponsible geniuses from causing head on collisions. So a understand an except that a few idiots have one again ruined a good thing for the masses. I actually had the police approve my lights, and was told that the low beams are meant and legal to be illuminating the road for 300' and highs for 500'

I am very curious as to what the ECE stands for in the chart. Jimmy07?

View attachment 216158

View attachment 216159

8f8f0d06c8e2139acac777717b3d9b5b.png

Here is factory projector output

b288dafaafa40bbe6833da3969c66a91.jpg

Here is a quality projector upgrade

61dc61fd97262c3f4a707700455ebc81.png

ac8b6cb57f8cd208f90917035cabafbc.jpg

As I stated before oems are "softened" for the masses so it's not a drastic change from halogen reflor housings

Last edited:

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
When I bought my Ram used with 29,000 miles the oem lights were full of water. Then I bought another set of oem type and would fog up all the time. Price wise the alpharex are a good deal, I have had zero water, fog etc get into the housing. Cutoff line is near perfect and had held up to the high power leds under the cap with no melting. I bought the first production, so don't know if quality changed, a couple little things I would change like seating the side marker better and put a better headlight adjuster like oem.

IMG_20190425_205741.jpg

IMG_20190425_185421.jpg

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K this is rich. The company I ordered from agreed to refund in full for the crazy cut off light. And since the sold an identical style by a different manufacturer I agreed to trade for a whole $5 more. BUT, they sent me the exact same lights again so why not give em a try right. Aimed and satisfactory. For the price of a single used OE that is. They didnt upload in order but at a distance from a house you can see the projectors are actually still a little low, but no crazy 30 ft cut off , and some plain old platinum xenox highbeams , no cut out.

20200721_220846.jpg

20200721_220441.jpg

20200721_215008.jpg

20200721_215017.jpg

20200721_221016.jpg

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
....how to cheat the flap and the dot, especially euro regulations. Standard....and shimed. Im gonna try this and park my truck and jump in my MB,do a drive by and see if this is really serving any greater good

15955227885225373041892367594898.jpg

15955228495182686843780493276673.jpg

15955228775871511258511035638480.jpg

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
K this is rich. The company I ordered from agreed to refund in full for the crazy cut off light. And since the sold an identical style by a different manufacturer I agreed to trade for a whole $5 more. BUT, they sent me the exact same lights again so why not give em a try right. Aimed and satisfactory. For the price of a single used OE that is. They didnt upload in order but at a distance from a house you can see the projectors are actually still a little low, but no crazy 30 ft cut off , and some plain old platinum xenox highbeams , no cut out.

View attachment 216428

View attachment 216429

View attachment 216430

View attachment 216431

View attachment 216432

Wow, my Alpharex headlights (oe quad) are nothing like that. As far as brightness and actual projection. That’s awesome.

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is what I get out of my Alpharex Pro headlights. I had factory quads.

DB1BEA92-65D7-4EF3-9D87-6870D06DCC17.jpeg

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's a pretty good output. I haven't yet driven at night since installation a month ago nor have I aimed the lights or if I need to.

this is right out of the box so hopefully yours are on target too.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
alpharex has made it back on my radar. Out of curiosity has anyone hade multiplevstlyesvof their products for the same truck
EG oem replacement vs. Nova series?
Did you ever think to do an oem side by side quality of materials test. Something like trying to flex the plastic?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
alpharex has made it back on my radar. Out of curiosity has anyone hade multiplevstlyesvof their products for the same truck
Did you ever think to do an oem side by side quality of materials test. Something like trying to flex the plastic?
My 2017 started out with the halogens, then TYC projector factory replicas, then factory projectors, then the alpharex pro G1’s, and now I have the alpharex luxx series 2019 2500 style. All four sets of projector housings I’ve had opened up and completely tore down. The material for all the buckets and lens seemed the same to me, and not something I would give a second thought to.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

I've opened both oem projectors and alpharex g1) Alpharex definitely open easier. As far as quality of the housing and lense, in my opinion seemed fairy close. The clarity of the alpharex g1 projector I feel are better than oem. Oem uses a blue/purple tint on the lenses. I forget the reason behind it. But I like the bi functionality of oem (partially why I retrofitted mine). Although oem uses a supplemental high beam also.

In my opinion, as far as "cheap" aftermarket headlights are concerned, alpharex are on the top end. They have their own flaws but without having a 09-12 version and a 13-18 version (wiring capability for turn/park errors) they are a great option.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've opened both oem projectors and alpharex g1) Alpharex definitely open easier. As far as quality of the housing and lense, in my opinion seemed fairy close. The clarity of the alpharex g1 projector I feel are better than oem. Oem uses a blue/purple tint on the lenses. I forget the reason behind it. But I like the bi functionality of oem (partially why I retrofitted mine). Although oem uses a supplemental high beam also.

In my opinion, as far as "cheap" aftermarket headlights are concerned, alpharex are on the top end. They have their own flaws but without having a 09-12 version and a 13-18 version (wiring capability for turn/park errors) they are a great option.

See you guys mention opening the housings like its child's play. Throw it in the oven and peal it open patiently. I tried an oem and that was NOT happening. PERDE. Easy...and oem projectors are fogged a little so your cut off is not so abrupt and dramatic to you, the driver. Literally just learned that

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
See you guys mention opening the housings like its child's play. Throw it in the oven and peal it open patiently. I tried an oem and that was NOT happening. PERDE. Easy...and oem projectors are fogged a little so your cut off is not so abrupt and dramatic to you, the driver. Literally just learned that

Trust me, I know it's not easy. the oem projectors where my first time opening a set up. Took about 40 minutes on the first and and 20 on the second headlight.