Core 4x4 and Hellwig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you sir.
You just have to watch which brand you go with. I really suggest Daystar. You will want to switch out your tranny cooler lines for long ones or at least keep a close eye on them as they will be pretty tight and may start to weep. Yes, I have a rebuilt transmission due to that exact issue. Also from what I hear, many shop won’t touch body lifts. I had my buddy install mine at his shop.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Thank you sir.
You just have to watch which brand you go with. I really suggest Daystar. You will want to switch out your tranny cooler lines for long ones or at least keep a close eye on them as they will be pretty tight and may start to weep. Yes, I have a rebuilt transmission due to that exact issue. Also from what I hear, many shop won’t touch body lifts. I had my buddy install mine at his shop.

Why Daystar, the material that the spacers are made of are better?

Why tranny cooler lines because of it pushing everything up? and which lines did you go with?

And yes, no one around here wants to install it and the 2 I found they want $1200 to do it, so I think I am going to just do it myself, saw videos of it being done just recently on a 4th gen ram and it was actually pretty straight forward, I have the tools so it should be a fun experience.

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I kept my core links on the middle hole of the wig as it’s set to stock. Closer to the axel is tighter and the furthest is more flex. I just tried each hole and found what I liked the best (no pun intended lol).

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why Daystar, the material that the spacers are made of are better?

Why tranny cooler lines because of it pushing everything up? and which lines did you go with?

And yes, no one around here wants to install it and the 2 I found they want $1200 to do it, so I think I am going to just do it myself, saw videos of it being done just recently on a 4th gen ram and it was actually pretty straight forward, I have the tools so it should be a fun experience.
I suggest Daystar as they have a good BL and i have read issues with others. I’m my own experience running the Daystar for 4 years on off-road/highway and no squeaks (which is everyone’s concern with BL). Plus yeah they built awesome.
As for trans lines, yeah they stretch due to the body up another 3”. It’s just there is no give in the lines. Add in bumps and what not, they going to stretch. Plus these lines are made so cheap from the factory to begin with. I just got my buddy to cut the crimps And hose out, add in longer hoses and flare them out and your all set. Sad thing was when I did the trans rebuild, the shop installed the damn short
Lines again. So I have been watching but no leaks so far, plus my truck is a 2011.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I suggest Daystar as they have a good BL and i have read issues with others. I’m my own experience running the Daystar for 4 years on off-road/highway and no squeaks (which is everyone’s concern with BL). Plus yeah they built awesome.
As for trans lines, yeah they stretch due to the body up another 3”. It’s just there is no give in the lines. Add in bumps and what not, they going to stretch. Plus these lines are made so cheap from the factory to begin with. I just got my buddy to cut the crimps And hose out, add in longer hoses and flare them out and your all set. Sad thing was when I did the trans rebuild, the shop installed the damn short
Lines again. So I have been watching but no leaks so far, plus my truck is a 2011.

Sweet ! good to know about the hoses .... no one ever mentioned them being stretched even though you would think that should be in the back of our mind lol ..

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I never knew about them until it was too late. But I’m glad to assist brother.
Don’t you have a 6” plus Bils (or something similar at 2.5-2.8”) as well as the BL?

So technically you’re more like 11” total lift?

Because:
6” lift minus preload spacer = 5.4”
Plus Bils or similar = 8”
Plus BL = 11”

Unless you’re running stock height front struts but it looks more leveled than that....

Truck looks good by the way!

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another very important thing to remember, make sure you install the BL CORRECTLY if doing yourself, or make sure the shop knows what they are doing if you have one install for you. Many have had issues related to installing them incorrectly.

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have stock size shocks in the front. Fabtech comes with a spacer that goes on top of the struts/shocks. I don’t run anything else as I don’t want to mess with my angles (UCA/CVS). I forget what I measured in the front bottom
Of fender to ground.
The rear was 4 feet and I have a little rake, not much.
It was like 3/4 of an inch in the front I believe. It’s in another post on here, just can’t remember what one.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Helwig improved my 4x4 noticeably. Not a shattering difference, but still noticeable.

Mike Flea

US ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Besides the tranny lines, keep an eye on the brake line coming from the master cylinder. I don't have a lift on my Dodge, but I put a 2" on my '99 ZR2, and had to remove the brake line clamp from the top of the frame, near the master cylinder.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Besides the tranny lines, keep an eye on the brake line coming from the master cylinder. I don't have a lift on my Dodge, but I put a 2" on my '99 ZR2, and had to remove the brake line clamp from the top of the frame, near the master cylinder.

When they added the 7" lift they added extended break lines, but I "WILL" keep an eye on it regardless, thanks for the reminder

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had no issues with my 3” Daystar and the brake lines. They didn’t even interfere with the steering column which you figure would require an extension. Damn! Trans lines that wasn’t noticed until disaster hit.....Burnt fluid!

OP
OP
Nate Alger

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recieved all my parts I ordered for the rear end. I did recieve instructions for the Helwig sway bar but not for the Core 4x4 rear control arms or track bar.

As for the sway bar, is there a correct orientation for it? I notice the center bend could potentially face "upwards" or "downwards" depending on which way it is installed.

The Core 4x4 Control arm bolts and track bar bolts, what do i torque them to? And what kind of grease do I get to grease everything up?

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Core control arms are as follows:
lowers are to 145ft/lbs and uppers to 135ft/lbs.
Panhard bar is around 115 ft/lbs.
some run them differently, but not by much. It’s up to you and how they feel. Just remember the not stock and use caution when torquing them down. Lots of issues with over torquing and the bushings going to hell fast.

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hellwig could go either way. I put mine up and have had it that way for at least a month. No issues. I’m switching it around and throwing to the tightest (first hole to frame) to see if there a big difference in the feel of the back end. If you have an after market diff cover, you want it facing down. Extra clearance for the aftermarket diff covers which I don’t have yet.

OP
OP
Nate Alger

Nate Alger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a quick question. I have been told that after I swap out the rear lowers and uppers, the sway bar and the trac bar that I will need an alignment. From what I have read, tears do not require one. Do i need an alignment or not?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a quick question. I have been told that after I swap out the rear lowers and uppers, the sway bar and the trac bar that I will need an alignment. From what I have read, tears do not require one. Do i need an alignment or not?
You'll only need a front alignment if you're messing with your front suspension. You don't have a craddle in the back that will be move because you're changing control arms or anything else.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Anyone thought about trying out the Hellwig 2500 rear bar on the 1500?? :D:D

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So If I am going to go Core 4x4 full set of Control arms and the trackbar what is the difference in the T3 vs. T4 and how would you select one or the other based on lift and style of driving?