Front lifted higher than the rear WTH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I think the idea came in the 90's. Some prerunner trucks were setup that way to avoid dragging their fronts to the ground when hitting big bumps/ jumps in the desert. The idea was that the rear will land first after the jump. High school kids loved the look and wanted their rigs to look cool so they started half assing their trucks with big front spacers or taller front hubs, some others just cranked their torsion keys to the moon and either didn't have the money to address the rear or simply wanted that rear squating to the max to just have the "tough" looks. Not a lot have changed today other than perhaps the level of the lift.

Well I can tell ya from experience, at least in SoCal, It really started back in the early 90’s. We called them pre-runners or the 909/951 style for the zip code in inland empire. Kids mainly just lifting the front of a Toyota or an F-150. When I was in high school I had a 94 Toyota pickup with the torsion bars cranked in the front and called it a pre-runner. LOL I look back and laugh at how stupid and non functional that was.

Agreed. I went to HS in SoCal in the late 90s/early 2000s. I had a RCSB 2WD/open diff Ranger, and of course had the torsion bars cranked up. It rode like hell. I drove that 150HP 3.0L around like it was a trophy truck though.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep that's got to be the dumbest look it have ever seen ...lol They can keep that out west not for us easterners
Sadly it's already there or you get the 30in rims with low low profile tires and the whole tire sticks out past the fender

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never saw one around here, didn’t even know it was a thing.

I did see an F150 the other day that looked like that, but the bed was loaded full of topsoil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never seen one like that down here in Florida, a good stand tall state.

I see them all over the place here on the swfl side....went to a truck show over in daytona last year..ridiculous of how many were there.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yea, been to Daytona Beach many times for Spring Break...the streets are flooded with these
upload_2020-5-26_14-2-54.png

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Am I wrong in saying that anyone with a levelling or lift kit that has no rake will end up being like these guys once a load is put on the back?

I'm 25 and hate this front end to the sky bs as much as the next dude, but every levelled truck will end up looking like this with a load...if I could get a 1inch lift in the front, that's like all I would do as to not jeopardize the look while towing...

Air bags.

I leveled my truck because I dont like the look of the large amount of rake they put on trucks from the factory. i understand it, but I dont like that look.

So now I have the best of both worlds...level when not towing, and level when towing.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Never saw one around here, didn’t even know it was a thing.

I did see an F150 the other day that looked like that, but the bed was loaded full of topsoil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
We don't allow that **** in TX. If the ass of our truck is dragging the ground 1 of 3 things has happened.
1 broke springs
2 its loaded
3 the tires are flat

Blue Mule

Litos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Florida is the car and truck ricer capital of the United States...

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air bags.

I leveled my truck because I dont like the look of the large amount of rake they put on trucks from the factory. i understand it, but I dont like that look.

So now I have the best of both worlds...level when not towing, and level when towing.

I don’t mind the look of leveled trucks, and I don’t mind at all when someone defeats the purpose for that look, I just laugh at what their truck looks like when they load them down afterwards with the least little bit of weight. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t mind the look of leveled trucks, and I don’t mind at all when someone defeats the purpose for that look, I just laugh at what their truck looks like when they load them down afterwards with the least little bit of weight. Lol.

Hence the reasoning behind air bags...problem solved. Win win.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Luckily the rear squat look never caught on around here. Do have a bunch of kids that put super low profile tires on 2500/3500 ruining the usefulness of the truck.
I had one of them ask me why I didn't buy a real truck, referring that mine was a 1500...I laughed as his remote didn't work to unlock his Chevy...I made it a point to remote start the truck in view of him...lol
I'd be willing to bet I could actually haul more in the bed as I don't have to worry about rim damage, yes his tires were super thin.

SkylarMelo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Air bags.

Definitely agree that the rake is a bit excessive, they probably did it to compensate for the use of coil springs instead of leafs. My dad's 2013 chevy flexes the same amount with a 26' loaded camper trailer as my 2011 ram with a 18' boat lol. Both 1500s, but one is leaf, one is coil.

This is why a 1-1.5" lift in the front would satisfy me with a set of air ride bags in the back.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely agree that the rake is a bit excessive, they probably did it to compensate for the use of coil springs instead of leafs. My dad's 2013 chevy flexes the same amount with a 26' loaded camper trailer as my 2011 ram with a 18' boat lol. Both 1500s, but one is leaf, one is coil.

This is why a 1-1.5" lift in the front would satisfy me with a set of air ride bags in the back.

Great minds think alike. I went with 1.5” up front and air bags out back.

Truck still has 3/4” of rake or so...when they get perfectly level by measurement, they look like they are sagging ass in my opinion.

CBEF6FFE-66F6-4C08-B2DA-6B3B63DBA194.jpeg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Pickups had that factory rake to them long before Ram started using coil springs.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We don't allow that **** in TX

I've been seeing a lot of F-250's with 8-10" lifts, 14" wide wheels on 35's that have fender clearance for 40's.....and the front is higher

KiltedCelt01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And here I am over here in PA with a Ready Lift 4” level kit and can’t stand the rake that’s still there. I got a good discount on the ready lift kit back when they had a holiday discount... I think it was around Independence Day. Yesterday, I priced out a 6” lift kit and remembered why I went with the 4” level kit instead; it was roughly $1,000 cheaper. (You get what you pay for though). Some day, I’ll join the 6” lift kit club. Why anyone would want their truck to have an opposite rake makes zero sense to me, but, to each their own. I heard this was a thing but haven’t seen any of them myself. Yet.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I've been seeing a lot of F-250's with 8-10" lifts, 14" wide wheels on 35's that have fender clearance for 40's.....and the front is higher
Not up north. I could see that down Houston way
And considering that they're fords

Blue Mule

Reactions: JB1
OP
OP
C

Cpap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I finally got back on here to catch up on this for the 1st time since I posted and I will have to say it's been entertaining. Good to know it's not just me becoming an old fart. I am not a truck lifting or modification guy, I got that out of my system in my 20's but I see value in it to a certain degree. The SoCal lean has unfortunately migrated to become the SoCac lean too (South Carolina Lean) or Carolina squat as I saw in another reply. I figured it had to be a cheap, ego driven, imitation of something I just didn't know what. Thanks for the entertainment folks!