Got this installed the other day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I just installed this today... An LED light bar is here on the bench and will follow shortly.. It's a Ranch Hand Legacy. Extremely well built, has excellent powder coated finish and fairly easy to install.

View attachment 232515

Thanks, I really needed one of these critter guards. I saw this style (photo) on display down in Junktown, Colorado today. It's similar to the Ranch Hand. Ordered one and it's being shipped from Kansas and installed later this week. It has a nice full flat step on the lower bar.

51pCy5+wAjL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Industr...or-2010-2019-Dodge-Ram-2500-NEW-/133478678992

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks, I really needed one of these critter guards. I saw this style (photo) on display down in Junktown, Colorado today. It's similar to the Ranch Hand. Ordered one and it's being shipped from Kansas and installed later this week. It has a nice full flat step on the lower bar.

View attachment 233685

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Go-Industr...or-2010-2019-Dodge-Ram-2500-NEW-/133478678992

Awesome...! Great design. I drive in the dark through the forest areas where the ruminants (deer) wander onto the roadways often. I really don't want to hit them, but I also don't need to rebuild my front end either...ha
That built-in step will be quite useful too. I carry a three-step ladder with me as even though I'm 74 inches tall I need it to access the engine bay. I have one of the "bumper steps" installed to climb into the cargo bay.
Post some photos when you get it bolted up.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Awesome...! Great design. I drive in the dark through the forest areas where the ruminants (deer) wander onto the roadways often. I really don't want to hit them, but I also don't need to rebuild my front end either...ha
That built-in step will be quite useful too. I carry a three-step ladder with me as even though I'm 74 inches tall I need it to access the engine bay. I have one of the "bumper steps" installed to climb into the cargo bay.
Post some photos when you get it bolted up.

I was 73 inches tall until the day I purchased my PowerWagon. Shrunk even more when I put 35's on it. I carry a 20" high work platform around to be a respectable 93 inches tall.

The Go Industries grill uses 14 gauge tubing (thickness of a dime) and weighs 106 pounds for my 2016. It's lighter in weight than a similar Ranchhand grill which uses a thicker 12 gauge tubing (thickness of a nickel) and weighs either 128 pounds net or 156 pounds gross. Deer don't care which one that they get hit by.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the critter guard is not good quality and build right it will do more damage to your front end then a deer.

Agreed. Instead of an animal taking out possibly just one side or the other, if a week “brush guard” caves in it will likely screw up the entire front end instead.

While I completely understand why people in certain areas would want something like this, I feel like the majority of them on the market most likely cant even handle a decent impact from an animal. However, thats speculation as I have never really got down to the nitty gritty of their strength/mounting etc.

Mace Peveler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe it's time for you to do your research? You know, like you do on tires???

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Maybe it's time for you to do your research? You know, like you do on tires???

It's 1.9" diameter steel tubing on the Go Industries Brush Guard with a 14 gauge thickness which is larger in diameter than some other brands. A heavier 12 gauge steel tubing with a smaller diameter isn't necessarily stronger.

I replaced my OEM utility rear bumper on my 1978 Chevrolet LUV in 1980 to a 3" tube bumper with 14 gauge steel. The truck has been parked outside always. After 41 years here's what it looks like today. It's been hit twice while at a red stop light. It did some front end damage to a Jeep Cherokee that hit it quite hard knocking my truck forward out into the intersection, but the tube bumper and my truck had no damage. I still use the truck for a ranch vehicle on my acreage. 20210112_144314.jpg

I am satisfied with my brush guard purchase.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's 1.9" diameter steel tubing on the Go Industries Brush Guard with a 14 gauge thickness which is larger in diameter than some other brands. A heavier 12 gauge steel tubing with a smaller diameter isn't necessarily stronger.

I replaced my OEM utility rear bumper on my 1978 Chevrolet LUV in 1980 to a 3" tube bumper with 14 gauge steel. The truck has been parked outside always. After 41 years here's what it looks like today. It's been hit twice while at a red stop light. It did some front end damage to a Jeep Cherokee that hit it quite hard knocking my truck forward out into the intersection, but the tube bumper and my truck had no damage. I still use the truck for a ranch vehicle on my acreage. View attachment 233757

I am satisfied with my brush guard purchase.

Hangin’ in there for sure!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Meh. I have never had one desire to have such a thing on the front of my truck.

I will just keep at the tires for now lol

I never had one desire either when I lived over the Rockies in Denver, but I moved to Beef Country. I'm surrounded by 1,000 acre plus ranches with lots of on the road cattle drives that I have to drive through. The plastic front end grill area of the Ram 2500 is quite vulnerable to damage when they're walking straight at it. They aren't the brightest of animals, especially when they're confused and/or running.
unnamed.png

Last edited:

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
I never had one desire either when I lived over the Rockies in Denver, but I moved to Beef Country. I'm surrounded by 1,000 acre plus ranches with lots of on the road cattle drives that I have to drive through. The plastic front end grill area of the Ram 2500 is quite vulnerable to damage when they're walking straight at it. They aren't the brightest of animals, especially when they're confused and/or running.
View attachment 233788

You might not be excited to see them, but my kids would freak if they saw that on the road haha.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, within the huge fenced off acreage.
In Eastern Colorado, there aren't as many fences as Western Colorado. With Colorado being a Free Range state, the cattle often will just meander around on the roads. Of course, I mean the county roads and (usually) not the highways. We have ranches around us and we are just east of Colorado Springs. It isn't unusual for cattle to get out of their fences and wander around on the side of the road. The brush guard helps to "motivate" them to get out of the way. :)

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
In Eastern Colorado, there aren't as many fences as Western Colorado. With Colorado being a Free Range state, the cattle often will just meander around on the roads. Of course, I mean the county roads and (usually) not the highways. We have ranches around us and we are just east of Colorado Springs. It isn't unusual for cattle to get out of their fences and wander around on the side of the road. The brush guard helps to "motivate" them to get out of the way. :)

Yes, we lived in southeast Aurora for 25 years and winter camped at Pawnee Buttes, the Picketwire, Hugo SWA, and Mills Canyon (NM). We too have cattle and some mules which get to party out of their fenced off acreage along the De Beque Cutoff road near here. I never would've thought about pushing a little at the cows since they almost always move when getting really, really close to them with the Power Wagon.