How far would you feel comfortable traveling with this setup? (pictures)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Working with the numbers below here are my calculations. Tongue weight @ 12% 912#, 2 pre-teens ~200#, mom & dad being generous 300#, WDH ~150# equals 1562#. Add ~200# for gear in truck bed and you are at 1762#. If you add a second battery, bikes or any other gear you are going to be seriously overweight. Will the truck to it? Absolutely. Will the truck tow it comfortably and safely? Well, I wouldn't do it and I hope you reassess going forward.
Canyon

Max Payload

1372 lb (622.69 kg)

Max Towing

8272 lb (3752.48 kg)

Last edited:

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 3.21 gearing for towing in a 1/2 ton with a 1/2 ton capable trailer. Is it optimal? No, as the negatives are lower MPG while towing and more difficulty with hills and speed. But consider that once you get up to the trailer weight of a 1/2 ton, you are most likely also near or past the cargo capacity too. Being able to tow 2,000 lbs more won't do you much good unless you can also handle the 300 to 500 lbs more tongue weight too, which is highly unlikely in most all 1/2 tons.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I understand having the truck and not wanting to sell but why did you go that heavy on the TT? Anyway with that being done I would put on any possible upgrade you can to make this setup as safe as possible for you and your family. The E rated tires are a must.700/800$ is definitely worth it and you could easily sell your other tires on craigslist to off set the cost. Just lower your pressure when your not towing for a more comfortable ride.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
My wife and I have been looking high and low for a right fit for our truck. I know we're toward the top end on the scale, and everything is purchased, so no going back now... having said that, what type of trip would you feel comfortable doing with this setup? Two adults, and two pre-teens.

2016 Ram 1500, 3.21 gears, crew cab, 5.7 Hemi.

2018 Coleman Lantern 274bh.
28.58 feet in length
Dry weight 4676 + Payload Capacity 2924 = GCWR 7600
Hitch Weight 568

I have added a Husky 32218 Center Line TS weight distribution bar.

Knowing all this, and being my first time hauling something this size... is this setup capable of cross country traveling into the mountains? Or is this really more of a setup for 200-300 mile local camp sites?

The best part, everything is paid for! Upgrading to a bigger truck isn't an option for me, because we have the MOPAR lifetime warranty... so I'm invested in this truck and don't plan to replace it.

What say you? And thanks for the opinions!
View attachment 223266
View attachment 223267

Not very far yet. lol

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
E rated tires make a huge difference when towing.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
Airlift 1000s are good too. Helps with the swaying a lot more than you would think.

Nautikos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I have a 28’ Airstream Land Yacht and pull it all over and back with a 1500 and 3.21 gears with no problem. I do not have the Hemi though and the only thing I would be concerned with are the tires. I replaced mine with Michelin LTs.

all of that being said, the previous owner of my trailer pulled it to every national park west of the Mississippi with a Toyota Tacoma. When I bought the trailer I had an F350 Dually. When it came time to replace it I had no concerns going with the 1500 based on what the previous used.

William Heil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
don't overthink it. Like they said, try it out and see how it feels and tows. I have a 2012 Ram with 3.55 gears, 5.7 hemi, 6 speed trans. and have towed a 26/29 foot trailer 5000 miles over the last 8 months. It is heavier than yours, gross weight being 8000 lbs. towed it through the rocky mountains, the Arizona desert, at high altitudes, up some grades steep enough to get it into low gear, lots of interstate, crosswinds, semis passing and it tows very well, never had a moments concern. does 70 on the interstate just fine. I also have a sway controller, a friction type as well as the equalizer hitch. My tires are SUV, (whatever that means) pretty sure they are not E rated. Try it out!!!

MillerTime802

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My wife and I have been looking high and low for a right fit for our truck. I know we're toward the top end on the scale, and everything is purchased, so no going back now... having said that, what type of trip would you feel comfortable doing with this setup? Two adults, and two pre-teens.

28.58 feet in length
Hitch Weight 568

Knowing all this, and being my first time hauling something this size... is this setup capable of cross country traveling into the mountains? Or is this really more of a setup for 200-300 mile local camp sites?

The best part, everything is paid for! Upgrading to a bigger truck isn't an option for me, because we have the MOPAR lifetime warranty... so I'm invested in this truck and don't plan to replace it.

View attachment 223266
View attachment 223267

I had a bumper pull for 10 years about the same size as what you have. Pulled it behind my Ecoboost Expedition and my F-150 Platinum, both having air bag/shock suspension. .

I think you're just fine with what you have but highly recommend you install either air bags or air shocks sized to exceed the weight on the hitch. This will level out your load, making the truck ride and perform perfectly. Mountains? I've done that too. Just watch carefully which gear you're in and don't push the accelerator pedal too much to reduce stress on the tranny.

Good Luck

William Heil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Airlifts might be good. I can't quite get my truck level, rear springs on these trucks are weak. But the sag doesn't seem to affect towing.

William Heil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is another good recommendation. go easy on the throttle, and always use tow/haul mode. I first started out using cruise control and that seemed really hard on the engine trying to keep up the speed on hills, so I speed up going down the hills and let it slow down a bit going up the hills. personally don't like that engine reving for long periods at 4000 plus rpm. I get 7 to 10 mpg. And it really sucks gas if you try and go over 70, which you probably shouldn't do anyway, but it will do it on nice flat empty stretches of interstate out here in the west.

Retired Navy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a RV'er but its a 45' 5th wheel different story. Please dont get bad, but does any of these guys have your setup to make these statements, I know their trying to help. I would tell you to go to one of many RV web sites maybe using the Coleman name and model and ask your questions again. I would think that someone would be able to help you with your trailer and setup. Remeber even with your small coleman you have a big wind broke behind you and until you get that first 18 wheeler coming or going it will stand the hair on the back of your neck. I hope you enjoy new RV.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

28.58 feet in length
Hitch Weight 568

View attachment 223266
View attachment 223267

Nice Rig.

What immediately caught my eye is tongue weight. Lets assume you someday get really comfortable and enjoy the RV lifestyle. Your Gross trailer weight is 7600 lbs. You will eventually reach that number. How do I know :p I have a wife and wives tend to max out Travel Trailers very quickly.

The general rule is the tongue has to carry 10-15% of the total weight. This is very important to proper handling while towing. If you do not have it you will know it immediately. That is 760 lbs minimum and 1140 lbs maximum.

I can almost bet you that with 760 lbs of tongue weight you will be well past the payload of your truck unless it is empty and you and wife weight 85 lbs each.

So crunch the numbers. Also join a trailer forum appropriate to your trailer. You will need it sooner or later. Promise:D

Best of luck!!!!!

UHB1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Liter
Sounds like you have a good rig and are within the range for your truck. I have a 2015 Ecodiesel and have pulled similar in the mountains of British Columbia

One item I always watch for is the transmission hunting for the next gear. If you do notice that, you will need to slow down a bit and just get comfortable.

I would also suggest you look ahead at the transmission maintenance requirements. Chrysler suggests it is a lifetime fill. However, ZF (the originator of your transmission) has documented 50 to 75 thousand miles (80 to 120k kilometres) for a fluid and filter change. Using the Mopar fluid, pan/filter is pricey but you will want to meet your warranty requirements. Lots of controversy on lifetime fill, which I believe at its core is a marketing issue and a discussion on what Lifetime really means. I have 200,000 km on mine and lifetime for me is somewheres around 500,000 km. I get the sense that Chrysler believes lifetime is something like 120,000 miles (around 200k km)

I wish you many more trips and happy times.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok, will throw in my two cents, why not everyone else has (Lol)
Ok, I have towed a **** ton of trailers (goosenecks, bumper pulls, RV's, equipment etc etc.) What no one is talking about I will address.
First thing, (starting from the rear going forward) check the trailer bearings, I have found that new trailers come with minimum amount of bearing grease so check that.
Dual axle trailer, when loading it, load it without the bar in place--This is IMPORTANT! what you are looking for is weight distributed properly in the trailer, you will need to look at the pivot between the front and rear leaf springs, it should be tilted backwards about 30 degrees when having a 60/40 weight distribution, that being 60% weight forward towards the tongue. Many people over look this and have either too much or too little and wind up loosing control.

When packing luggage etc. I always put it (stow it) on the floors, I never stow stuff in the upper cabinets when pulling, the lower centerof gravity the better.

Check your trailer tires, that they have the proper pressure--unloaded! I look at the sidewall max pressure at load if its like 60psi, I would inflate 10% below it unloaded, it should allow for expansion etc. Too low a pressure and you will over heat and blow them.

Your trailer hitch-- Is a load leveling hitch, not a sway control hitch, it keeps the truck level with the trailer, thats its design. Read the documentation on the install. I had one for my 34 foot travel trailer, the bars were installed pointing downward 30 degrees then lifted into the brackets with the helper bar...but that was mine. if you adjust them level before putting the bars into the brackets they will not work properly, they are like a torsion bar when installed.

Truck, check for proper inflation in your tires, NEVER--NEVER use the inflation pressures on the door! those numbers are for stock tires--if you still have them. I run commercial tires on my trucks load range "G" at 100 psi, I would get mine rotated, the truck would roll out looking flat, that tech would use the door pressures---then had to educate them!
Proper inflation is key to a good haul.

Check your fluids, enough said there.

Hauling, Trailer speed is 55mph, not 95mph! I cannot tell you how many times I get passed by some moron going 85-90 mph!! So what, so you can drive 85mph,,but the trailer isn't made for it! Trailer tires are not designed for those speeds,,when you blow a tire at that speed,,well be prepared to lose everything and even someone you care for!
I never pull over 55mph. In some states, if your doing 65mph with a trailer you will get pulled over.
When pulling on hills just watch your temps, if the hill is so steep that you end up slowing down alot don't worry, you are not in a race and people can go around you--you should always be in the right lane!
If your speed falls to 45mph use your hazards--its the law!

Ok,,,thats it for now, get setup right and you will enjoy your vacation free from issues!

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This site has a very good explanation of GVWR and Payload. https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/
It also has a excel sheet you can use to see if you're within "legal" limits for your particular truck.
You just plug in all the number for your truck and TT.
GVWR and Payload Calc

I also like the recommendation above of checking out RV sites.
I've been looking for the same type of info and checking RV sites you get a lot more real world examples.

Also don't forget any additional weight you've added to your truck also takes away from your payload. ex. side steps, stuff under the back seat and in your in floor storage, wife purse etc...

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This I do not know. I think it is pretty average as far as I recall. But I don’t look at temps usually.
The 8 speed HP8 tranny has a thermally controlled valve that keeps tranny fluid out of the cooler until it reaches a specific temperature. This is a fuel savings thing to get the trany to operating temps for most use scenerios.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As for trailer and weights you will be pushing your limits. As for tires LTs are nice when towing as they have a stiffer sidewall and will not wallow as a "P" rate will tend to under heavy load, but you sacrifice the day to day ride comfort. Also as others suggested use the tires "Cold" PSI limits and fill them full. The door is for ride comfort, the tire spec is for max performance and wear, i.e. max load limits.

As for actual towing, these trannys are smart as hell and will help you out by down gearing when you step on the brakes etc. However as you are at your limits make sure to check your trailer brake settings at each hookup, i.e. when you leave the house and when you leave the campground. Make sure they are set firm enough to manage trailer without overheating them on long rolling off ramp stops. Note this may take some time to figure your setup out as each trailer (even between the same models) seems to be a little different as to how the TTs brake respond and what they like for settings.

Finally, remember one important thing, particularly as you are at your limits...... Every LB in your truck cab, bed etc is a LB of payload lost or a LB of payload over your limits. BUt every Lb in your trailer is only a fraction of a LB of Payload lost or over your limits....
Example
100lbs of bikes in the bed of the truck is a 100lbs added to your trucks weight.....100 lbs of bikes in the trailer is only 11 - 13 lbs of weight on your truck.

So the takeaway is if you are like me and keep fluids, tow strap, some tools, etc. in your truck, move them to the trailer. If you need another 70+lbs off the truck, drop the spare and put it in the trailer. If you are going thru the mountains so everyone has there heavy coat and boots in the truck, then get sweaters and slippers for the truck and put coats and boots in the trailer until you stop and then put them on. In short get every lb out of the truck you can and put it in the trailer to keep you under or at your trucks limits.

Finally, Towing a TT is taxing, more than most realize, and when you are at your limits you need to be alert and ready to respond to any issue. Therefore take your time, relax and enjoy the ride and take a break every 2 hours or so. I have driven a lot of long runs with my cars, and can run a fuel tank dry in a lot of cars between stops, i.e. 4+ hours non-stop but everytime I tow a trailer I make it a point to stop every 2 +/- to stretch, get out from under the wheel and revive myself a little..... Its the best thing you can do for you, your family and other drivers on the road.....Plus your on vacation take time to get out and enjoy the scenery, you will get where you're going when you get there no need to rush it.

Last edited:

merl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I went to that site and figured at about 8050 pounds, which is about what I thought. I then signed into my MOPAR page and got the specifics on my 2016 truck and this is what it shows.

Max Payload

1372 lb (622.69 kg)

Max Towing

8272 lb (3752.48 kg)

I also called the tire distributor I've been to for years, and he says I'm within tolerance. And having the transfer bar will help. Not arguing what others have said about getting 'E' rated tires, those would be preferred. But I only have about 5000 miles on these, and sure don't like spending money where I don't have to. He also said if I put E rated tires on that truck I would hate the ride of them. I guess the next best thing to do would be to have a spare set just to be able to swap out when getting ready for a trip. Not sure if we'll get 5 to 8 uses a year out of the trailer... no idea at this point!
P tires flip from sid to side.

OP
OP
B

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of new information here today, and I promise to get back and read. I've got a lot of work to catch up on, so I don't have time to respond to everyone.

Some comments helpful, some rather pointed. Kind of a mixed review on here. Some say 'E' rated tires are a must, while others have good arguments that 'E' rated tires are not a good idea. I get it that if I was hauling a landscape trailer with a lawn mower, everyone would say "Sure, you're fine on weight"... and if I was hauling a 36 foot bumper pull, everyone would say I'm an idiot (and rightfully so). I know I'm near the limit of the setup... no argument there. Starting out I mostly just wanted to know if this is a "local" weekend setup, or if it's capable for more and further distance.

My main point of question was "how far would you feel comfortable traveling with this setup?" My first real experience over the weekend, I took it easy (because I'm cautious by nature) and every point of suggestion (CAT scales, tire inflation, speed, method of braking etc.) that I could do for this maiden voyage I did, and overall I felt comfortable for our 200 + mile round trip. Tires look good, truck didn't squat, good temps, and tires didn't get hot. I'd do it again.

Last edited: