How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
You don't need the memory mirrors for the seat memory function to work The actual memory functions will not work by just installing the two wires from the 5 and #6 pin yellow seat connector to the CAN but you will be able to access the memory seat module at that point because it is then connected to the CAN system. In order for the memory to function you will still need to add two more wires from the #2 pin VT/YL and #13 pin VT/BR from the yellow drivers seat connector to the drivers side door harness that will then connect to the drivers door module. I don't remember what the pin#s are that you pin too in the door connector but all you need to do is connect to the pins that have the VT/YL wire and the VT/BR wire on the corresponding connector. This is a pic of my drivers side door connector when I was pinning the two wires from the #2 and #13 drivers side yellow seat connector and my memory recall functions normally. My memory seat, mirrors,radio and climate control functions perfectly and automatically adjust when it senses my or my wife's fob or I can push the button on the seat.6f1b79fe802c33288fa4e3b2a0b6f23d.jpg8c519c7fff46c19e25c9d32876bc0e0a.jpg4e26c91a8d92fa9e35d3c003cdd64f4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sorry, did not mean to cause any confusion about the other 2 wires that are needed and go to the door connector. JoeB and SawZ were asking about just the 2 wires that go to the canbus, and where to connect them to the canbus, and advised them of the correct location of the canbus for just those 2, so I did not make mention of the 2 door connector wires. To add to your post, #13 (of yellow connector under seat) goes to #3 of door connector and #2 (of yellow connector under seat) to #10 of door connector.

Again, sorry for any confusion that i may have caused.............

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Sorry, did not mean to cause any confusion about the other 2 wires that are needed and go to the door connector. JoeB and SawZ were asking about just the 2 wires that go to the canbus, and where to connect them to the canbus, and advised them of the correct location of the canbus for just those 2, so I did not make mention of the 2 door connector wires. To add to your post, #13 (of yellow connector under seat) goes to #3 of door connector and #2 (of yellow connector under seat) to #10 of door connector.

You didnt cause any for me. I was trying to get the alfa to talk to the MSM. I'll have to order some stuff to run the wiring correctly. My method yesterday was a mere jumper, which happened to work.

5pt7BigHornSC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Finally found a set of good condition 2015 Laramie heated/cooled seats for a reasonable price ($950). Waiting on shipping now. Hope to have them installed soon!
The Laramie seats are a definite upgrade. They are really comfortabe.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

No confusion at all. I just wanted to clarify that just hooking pins 5 and 6 to the CAN will not enable any functions. All you will gain is being able to access the MSM with the alfa tool but you won't be able to run most diagnostics because the MSM isn't connected to the Door Module via the #2 and #13 wires from the drivers seat yellow connector. Honestly having the memory working is now my favorite part of having the Laramie seats. Since it's just a matter of connecting 4 wires in most Quad and Crew Cab trucks I think it's well worth the effort. Single Cab trucks will most likely require adding the wires from the door harness to the door module because they have a different door harness.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed the switch panel, clockspring and stearing wheel today. Once the seats get here it will be a simple matter of bolting them in and plugging them up. Waiting on pins to wire the memory function at a later time. Seats should be here Tuesday!

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what do you do when only 1 seat shows up and you are still waiting on the other? Install it, that's what. Electrical functions all work on the passenger seat.
Can't wait for the drivers seat to show up to install. Looking forward to the heated seats!

Heated Cooled Seat Passenger 20191201.jpg

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
So what do you do when only 1 seat shows up and you are still waiting on the other? Install it, that's what. Electrical functions all work on the passenger seat.
Can't wait for the drivers seat to show up to install. Looking forward to the heated seats!

View attachment 187755

That's rough!

My switch panel should be here tomorrow, and I ordered a new switch for the 8-way power function. See how it all goes.

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both seats are in, received the driver's seat a day early! Everything seems to be working with the exception of the memory functions which was expected as I am missing some wiring for the memory function to work. I did notice a small grey connector on the drivers seat that I didn't have anything to plug into it. Checked under the carpet but no loose plugs anywhere. What is this small connector for? small connector.jpg

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both seats are in, received the driver's seat a day early! Everything seems to be working with the exception of the memory functions which was expected as I am missing some wiring for the memory function to work. I did notice a small grey connector on the drivers seat that I didn't have anything to plug into it. Checked under the carpet but no loose plugs anywhere. What is this small connector for? View attachment 187922
Rear heated seats.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
That's rough!

My switch panel should be here tomorrow, and I ordered a new switch for the 8-way power function. See how it all goes.

Update. Installed switch panel and no lights coming on. I verified everything is set and enabled in the ecm.. could it be the heater seat module? And does that wiring feed in to the passenger seat?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update. Installed switch panel and no lights coming on. I verified everything is set and enabled in the ecm.. could it be the heater seat module? And does that wiring feed in to the passenger seat?
Yes the wiring should run from your drivers side grey seat connector to your passenger's side yellow connector. When you can please take a picture of your driver's side yellow and grey seat connectors. You should have the wiring but we can 100% verify you do and go from there. All of the seat functions for the passenger side seat except power adjust are controlled from the drivers seat. If you are 100% all of the codes are enabled... ECUconfig#3 front heated seat present, ECUconfig#3 front vented seat present, ECU#4 heated seat present, Memory- Front vented seat present, Memory-seat material type (select perforated leather), Cust-set menu-auto on comfort (select option 2-3) the Cust-set menu doesn't need to be enabled in order for the seats to work but brings the option on the screen to have them turn on automatically on remote start or regulsr start at 40° for heated seats and 80° for vented seats if you chose. I'm not sure if your aftermarket deck will show that or not. If you have verified all those codes are enabled I would have to narrow it down to some type of issue with one of the seat modules or seat harness or an issue with having an aftermarket head unit. Since your drivers seat won't adjust at all I would lean towards the seat possibly being your issue. The radio has absolutley nothing to do with the seat adjusting. Do the heat or vent switches flash at all when you push them? Do your traction control and tow haul buttons still function normally on the new switch panel? As stated earlier you cannot use a switch panel from a 13 unless your truck is a 13. It has to be one for a 14 or newer. You also may want to unplug the driver and passenger side seat connectors and inspect all the pins to make sure none of them are damaged or missing. This mod has been done to many trucks and I have never seen anyone have the same issues you are having. I would also speculate that even though the wrecking yard always says these parts are tested in most cases they aren't. Most of the time the vehicles are to badly damaged to test parts plus the batteries are dead,damaged or missing all together. In order for the the heat and vent functions to be tested the vehicle needs to be running.

Last edited:

fearroyo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Additional information I just found...My heated and cooled seats have been working as expected including the hardware and soft buttons. I recently swapped radios for a 2018 radio with Android Auto. After the swap, the only soft button available was the heated wheel button. All the hardware buttons still worked, but no soft buttons for the seats. Numerous resets did not help. After taking a suggestion from Mpgrimm2, I compared my file with one from a 2018. I noticed a couple of seat settings for Heated and Cooled under the Cabin Network were not set. After enabling the settings, the soft buttons appeared on the new radio.

TC III

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Additional information I just found...My heated and cooled seats have been working as expected including the hardware and soft buttons. I recently swapped radios for a 2018 radio with Android Auto. After the swap, the only soft button available was the heated wheel button. All the hardware buttons still worked, but no soft buttons for the seats. Numerous resets did not help. After taking a suggestion from Mpgrimm2, I compared my file with one from a 2018. I noticed a couple of seat settings for Heated and Cooled under the Cabin Network were not set. After enabling the settings, the soft buttons appeared on the new radio.
I had/have the same issue with the swap to UAQ radio. I'm going to try this as well and see if my soft keys come back up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TC III

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well this worked for me too! I enabled the "cabin net - HSM heated seat module" last night and the soft keys for heated seats showed up on my UAQ radio this morning. Thanks for the insight!c6a27e186609f9930027f616a1642484.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My Dad has a 2018 Ram 2500 6.7 Tradesman that he just purchased a set of Laramie heated and cooled power seats for. He only has the 5" RA2 radio and auxiliary switches and he does not want to spend the money for the 8.4 radio so he will not be able to use the heated or cooled part of the seats nor is he really even concerned about heat or AC. His main reason was for the power seats. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to get the power working for both the driver and passenger seats? Also is there any way we can make the memory function work?

17' CCSB 4X4 68RFE 2500 6.7 Tradesman DRP EGR delete, CTT tuning w/TCM tuning, UAQ w/7 speed HVAC, 7" premium EVIC, OEM front Parksense, OEM style front camera, aux switches, OEM remote start

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Dad has a 2018 Ram 2500 6.7 Tradesman that he just purchased a set of Laramie heated and cooled power seats for. He only has the 5" RA2 radio and auxiliary switches and he does not want to spend the money for the 8.4 radio so he will not be able to use the heated or cooled part of the seats nor is he really even concerned about heat or AC. His main reason was for the power seats. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to get the power working for both the driver and passenger seats? Also is there any way we can make the memory function work?

17' CCSB 4X4 68RFE 2500 6.7 Tradesman DRP EGR delete, CTT tuning w/TCM tuning, UAQ w/7 speed HVAC, 7" premium EVIC, OEM front Parksense, OEM style front camera, aux switches, OEM remote start
To get the power adjust functions to work you will need to connect constant 12v power to the solid red wire in the yellow connector in each seat and run a ground to the solid black wire in the yellow connector on each seat. For the memory function to work the correct wiring would need to be added and the correct codes enabled in the BCM. Many of us have successfully enabled the memory function but we have also installed all the correct wiring and codes for all the seat features to work plus installed the 8.4 radio. There is a chance that the memory only might work in his truck with the 5.0 radio and none of the other features but to the best of my knowledge no one has tried to enable it that way. If he wants to try he will need to add two wires from pin#5 and pin#6 in the drivers yellow seat connector to the CAN system and two more wires from pin#2 and pin#13 of the drivers seat yellow connector to pin#2 and pin#10 of the drivers door harness. He would also need to verify that his truck also has the correct door harness that has the wiring from the other side of the driver's door harness to the door module. Some 2500 and 3500 trucks do not have this wiring but it can also be added. After the wiring is installed he will have to enable the correct codes in the BCM with the alfa tool to see if it all works. F.Y.I the dealer cannot enable these codes because they are not authorized in his trim level. It must be done with the alfa instead.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To get the power adjust functions to work you will need to connect constant 12v power to the solid red wire in the yellow connector in each seat and run a ground to the solid black wire in the yellow connector on each seat. For the memory function to work the correct wiring would need to be added and the correct codes enabled in the BCM. Many of us have successfully enabled the memory function but we have also installed all the correct wiring and codes for all the seat features to work plus installed the 8.4 radio. There is a chance that the memory only might work in his truck with the 5.0 radio and none of the other features but to the best of my knowledge no one has tried to enable it that way. If he wants to try he will need to add two wires from pin#5 and pin#6 in the drivers yellow seat connector to the CAN system and two more wires from pin#2 and pin#13 of the drivers seat yellow connector to pin#2 and pin#10 of the drivers door harness. He would also need to verify that his truck also has the correct door harness that has the wiring from the other side of the driver's door harness to the door module. Some 2500 and 3500 trucks do not have this wiring but it can also be added. After the wiring is installed he will have to enable the correct codes in the BCM with the alfa tool to see if it all works. F.Y.I the dealer cannot enable these codes because they are not authorized in his trim level. It must be done with the alfa instead.

Thank you! Do you happen to know where we need to install the power and ground wires into the plugs on the driver and passenger seat plugs? Do you have any recommendations on where you would tap into for power and would you use a fuse in the tap? Also what gauge wire would you suggest using? I just remembered to ask you as well where I can purchase the pins needed for the power and ground wires and if you have a part number?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you! Do you happen to know where we need to install the power and ground wires into the plugs on the driver and passenger seat plugs? Do you have any recommendations on where you would tap into for power and would you use a fuse in the tap? Also what gauge wire would you suggest using? I just remembered to ask you as well where I can purchase the pins needed for the power and ground wires and if you have a part number?

I would reccomend running a 16 guage wire directly from the battery with an inline 30 amp fuse. You can use the one wire to power both seats. For the drivers seat you will connect to pin#1 for positive which is the solid red wire and pin#14 which is the black wire in the yellow seat connector and for the passenger side seat pin#14 solid red wire for positive and pin#21 solid black for ground in the yellow seat connector. You usually have to buy the pins in minimum quantities but KaodTech.com that is (Mike) Deerguys website sells the pins in sets of five for the do it yourself guys. I can't remember the part# but he will know because he is part of M2mods who is a vendor on the forum and he is the guy who actually builds the full heated/vented seat conversion harness. You are going to want to use TLX type wire so the wire insulation isn't to thick for the wire to fit into the connector.

Last edited:

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would reccomend running a 16 guage wire directly from the battery with an inline 30 amp fuse. You can use the one wire to power both seats. For the drivers seat you will connect to pin#1 for positive which is the solid red wire and pin#14 which is the black wire in the yellow seat connector and for the passenger side seat pin#14 solid red wire for positive and pin#21 solid black for ground in the yellow seat connector. You usually have to buy the pins in minimum quantities but KaodTech.com that is (Mike) Deerguys website sells the pins in sets of five for the do it yourself guys. I can't remember the part# but he will know because he is part of M2mods who is a vendor on the forum and he is the guy who actually builds the full heated/vented seat conversion harness. You are going to want to use TLX type wire so the wire insulation isn't to thick for the wire to fit into the connector.

Would it be frowned upon to just tap a constant power wire into the wire going from the seat to the seat side connector and just bypassing the truck side connector and still running an in line fuse that way we don't have to buy pins?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would it be frowned upon to just tap a constant power wire into the wire going from the seat to the seat side connector and just bypassing the truck side connector and still running an in line fuse that way we don't have to buy pins?

That's totally up to you. I personally try to keep things as factory as possible but they are your seats. I'm pretty sure the pins wouldn't cost more than $10 or $15 dollars from KaodTech. You would also need to purchase a pin crimping tool for around $20 if you don't already have one. If you do decide to connect to the wires through the back of the seat connector I reccomend trying to do it in a way that could be put back and not permanently altered. This will help in the future if you decided to upgrade your harness to make the seats fully function plus help keep the value of the seats if you ever decided to sell them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye