INFO - 2013-2018 8.4A /AN FW Notes (RA3/VP3-NA & RA4/VP4-NA & UAx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lsteele

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes you will want to go to a 17.x version first.

17.11.07 or 17.43.01.

Do you have a radio that came from the factory with navigation (RA4) or one that you paid for a code to activate navigation (RA3)?

BTW the 6th file is the log generated during update, so you wont have it on your USB after extracting the update zip.

For now concentrate on getting to a 17.x version, if we know what radio you have we can point you at the correct file.

I have a 2014 RA3 and for some reason this year of this radio I cant seem to find any files for it

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 RA3 and for some reason this year of this radio I cant seem to find any files for it

When 18.45.01 came out, UConnect wiped all previous update files off the server (SMH). So now I cant find them either. MPGrimm got what he could so far, but we're missing 2014 and 2015 RA3 files.

Im hoping UConnect will put them back up, but until then I havent been successful finding any 17.x updates for 14/15 RA3 units.

Kenepo17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone having issues with 8.4 uconnect of a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic volume acting up and down?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks to @clifford15 for helping me with the 2015 RA3 VP3-NA v17.43.01 file. Got it linked in Post 9 for those that need it...
POST 9: 2013-2017 8.4A (RA3/VP3-NA)

** I still need someone to share a 2014 VP3-NA v17.x file if you have it. ** (and any verified 2013-17 RA3 USA PN's).

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone having issues with 8.4 uconnect of a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic volume acting up and down?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Yip my buddy's 19 Bighorn classics does the same thing. Took it to the dealer. They had the truck for four days and said they couldn't recreate the issue. It does it everytime! He's a really passive guy and wanted his truck back so he said screw it. I told him it's a firmware issue and eventually they will have a new version to correct the issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Another reason to stick with version 19.9 on my 18 UAQ.

It seems only the 18 (19 classic) UAS or UAQ radios on v21.9 or 22.5 with the audio EQ issues (ie bass heavy) should consider the v22.6 application version update ... and only if it sounds bad.

I've also seen a few reports that the voice prompts from Google Assistant, Siri, & factory Nav are unusually loud for some people on v22.6

M² Mods.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

It seems only the 18 (19 classic) UAS or UAQ radios on v21.9 or 22.5 with the audio EQ issues (ie bass heavy) should consider the v22.6 application version update ... and only if it sounds bad.

I've also seen a few reports that the voice prompts from Google Assistant, Siri, & factory Nav are unusually loud for some people on v22.6

M² Mods.
I think I can confirm the volume issue for voice prompts. You can turn it down but it resets to "15" after every power cycle it seems and I can turn it down to "5" to be at the right level (to my ears)...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I can confirm the volume issue for voice prompts. You can turn it down but it resets to "15" after every power cycle it seems and I can turn it down to "5" to be at the right level (to my ears)...

That's exactly what's wrong with my buddy's truck. Dealer said they hadn't heard of the issue and I told the service manager he was full of it that I knew it was an issue with most of them. At first they said they were going to replace the radio which would have just done the same thing. They told him they would order the radio and let him know when it came in. They called a week later and said that FCA wanted them to run some more diagnostics on the truck. I told him it was total B.S. but he took it back anyway. They kept it for four days and told him they couldn't recreate the issue and to monitor it. I stayed out of it because he's the type of guy who doesn't like to have confrontation. He did exactly what they were hoping he would and just said F' it just give me my truck back. I personally would have made them correct the issue because it's annoying but he just avoids using the vice prompt. FCA definitely sucks big time in many cases. They should be ashamed about the crap they try to feed consumers.

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine

M² Mods.
I posted this in anaother thread but I am getting no results.

I have been trying to find a solution but search is not getting results. The issue:
1. 8.4 screen radio with Nav activated from Ebay code. I had a rearview camera and a front camera that used the Cargo cam inputs (MP Grimm mod harness) I did the latest update 18.... and now the reverse camera is gone when in reverse. If I enter controls and hit the cargo cam I now get the reverse camera. The option for the reverse camera is also gone from the control screen. I did find the post for the camera issue when using 2 separate displays (Radio and rearview mirror) but nothing for my situation. Would the 2 display work as a fix or is my problem different?

The HU is a RA3 with activated Nav. I was having the inaccurate Nav issues and did the 18... update but now have camera issues as stated above. Any help would be appreciated. RA3 part number is 68238621AL if that helps any

sawz

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7

M² Mods.

I have a bit of a work around that I was able to get decent results with. I have an aftermarket amplifier as well as AudioControl LC7i. I turned down the output level on the LC7i to adjust the voice prompts /warning audio level to something acceptable. Yes, this limits my maximum output level but is loud enough for me and makes the warning audio not blast out my ears.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Deleted

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I posted this in anaother thread but I am getting no results.

I have been trying to find a solution but search is not getting results. The issue:
1. 8.4 screen radio with Nav activated from Ebay code. I had a rearview camera and a front camera that used the Cargo cam inputs (MP Grimm mod harness) I did the latest update 18.... and now the reverse camera is gone when in reverse. If I enter controls and hit the cargo cam I now get the reverse camera. The option for the reverse camera is also gone from the control screen. I did find the post for the camera issue when using 2 separate displays (Radio and rearview mirror) but nothing for my situation. Would the 2 display work as a fix or is my problem different?

The HU is a RA3 with activated Nav. I was having the inaccurate Nav issues and did the 18... update but now have camera issues as stated above. Any help would be appreciated. RA3 part number is 68238621AL if that helps any

Is that a 2015 Ra3 Vp3-NA radio?

Where you on 17.11.01 SW (or 17.43.01) before the update to 18.45.01.

Remember, on 13-15 RAx radios only SW version 17.11.01 supported both cameras at the same time and we didn't know if going directly to 18.45.01 would retain the ability to have both cameras work on the radio at the same time. It unfortunately sounds like you lost the ability with the update.

If you disable the cargo cam, it should give you the backup camera in reverse (but without the cargo cam).

Your options if the above is correct....

- Replace the radio with a 2016 or newer one that supports both cameras (all SW versions currently, until FCA does something to it).

- get a camera interface module that supports extra camera inputs: PAC, Customtronix, Nav-Tv, Crux, etc

M² Mods.

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Is that a 2015 Ra3 Vp3-NA radio?

Where you on 17.11.01 SW (or 17.43.01) before the update to 18.45.01.

Remember, on 13-15 RAx radios only SW version 17.11.01 supported both cameras at the same time and we didn't know if going directly to 18.45.01 would retain the ability to have both cameras work on the radio at the same time. It unfortunately sounds like you lost the ability with the update.

If you disable the cargo cam, it should give you the backup camera in reverse (but without the cargo cam).

Your options if the above is correct....

- Replace the radio with a 2016 or newer one that supports both cameras (all SW versions currently, until FCA does something to it).

- get a camera interface module that supports extra camera inputs: PAC, Customtronix, Nav-Tv, Crux, etc

M² Mods.
Unsure of the year of the radio as it was an upgrade purchased from this forum
It was on 17.43.01
I will disable the cargo cam as my main concern is the reverse cam
Most likely try the interface module as the R3 has only been in about a year
Thank you for your help,
Up until the update your adapting harnesses were rocking and working perfect as I have purchased a number of them from you. Thank you for all the effort and time in making these mods possible.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unsure of the year of the radio as it was an upgrade purchased from this forum
It was on 17.43.01
I will disable the cargo cam as my main concern is the reverse cam
Most likely try the interface module as the R3 has only been in about a year
Thank you for your help,
Up until the update your adapting harnesses were rocking and working perfect as I have purchased a number of them from you. Thank you for all the effort and time in making these mods possible.
It's funny that the radio did that when upgrading from the 17:43:01 firmware since it was the 17:11:07 firmware that gave the 13 to 15 radios the ability to show the backup camera on the radio screen and not the rear view mirror. If the radio was operating correctly with the 17:43:01 Firmware it would suggest that the radio may be a 16 or newer but you never know. Removing the Cargo Cam code as suggested would still be the first thing I would try.

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
It's funny that the radio did that when upgrading from the 17:43:01 firmware since it was the 17:11:07 firmware that gave the 13 to 15 radios the ability to show the backup camera on the radio screen and not the rear view mirror. If the radio was operating correctly with the 17:43:01 Firmware it would suggest that the radio may be a 16 or newer but you never know. Removing the Cargo Cam code as suggested would still be the first thing I would try.

Disabled the Cargo cam with Alpha OBD and The reverse camera is back as it should be. I will be looking into an interface module to enable the front/cargo cam input as that came really handy when in the woods.

Thanks for all the ideas and the help.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Disabled the Cargo cam with Alpha OBD and The reverse camera is back as it should be. I will be looking into an interface module to enable the front/cargo cam input as that came really handy when in the woods.

Thanks for all the ideas and the help.
Is it possible to add a front camera just by using Alfa? I always thought it required third party hardware?

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
Is it possible to add a front camera just by using Alfa? I always thought it required third party hardware?

Sadly that what I did with the previous firmware. After market camera and an adapter herness from MPGrimm had allowed the cargo camera to be used as an additional input. New firmware killed that. Now looking at a multi inppput unit from PAC

Kenepo17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm using navtool system with side view cams that will come on the screen with turn signal activation from either side. Soon front cam and then cargo cam 7d131744d41b2f4ca6ed2072b1f18a81.jpg

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm using navtool system with side view cams that will come on the screen with turn signal activation from either side. Soon front cam and then cargo cam 7d131744d41b2f4ca6ed2072b1f18a81.jpg

Do you have a link? I already have the cameras installed but my LockPick crapped out a long time ago...

mikegrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine

How will you get the Front camera to trigger?