INFO - 2013-2018 8.4A /AN FW Notes (RA3/VP3-NA & RA4/VP4-NA & UAx)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fyve

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram
Engine
Hemi 5.7
which post has info on updating firmware if you are upgrading from a RA1 setup to RA4 setup with no SD slot available??

thanks for you time.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
which post has info on updating firmware if you are upgrading from a RA1 setup to RA4 setup with no SD slot available??

thanks for you time.
I'm still at work, but match up your new Ra4 vp4-NA radio's PN/year to the appropriate post as referenced/linked in the OP. Direction D/L link will be in the relevant post also

M² Mods - From my non Flammable S7!

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Okay. So UConnect came through, kind of. I'm still out the cost of the replacement radio.

UConnect Access now works.

They had to remove the previous owner's uconnect account from the radio to let me register it. So just waiting for the apps to update in the system and Pandora and such should work.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay. So UConnect came through, kind of. I'm still out the cost of the replacement radio.

UConnect Access now works.

They had to remove the previous owner's uconnect account from the radio to let me register it. So just waiting for the apps to update in the system and Pandora and such should work.
Mmmm , pretty sure you will Not ever get the uconnect apps ....only factory installed radios get the Uconnect Access. ....

What was your original factory installed radio sir ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Mmmm , pretty sure you will Not ever get the uconnect apps ....only factory installed radios get the Uconnect Access. ....

What was your original factory installed radio sir ?
His factory 2014 RA4 radio crapped out after letting it run the 17.x update over top of the CustomTronix RAx Jailbreak w/o uninstalling it first. NavRepair can probably get it fixed but he picked up a 2015 RA4 for a reasonable price and FCA should be able to get the uConnect apps working for his truck again.

* Note to others: Remove the RAx Jailbreaker SW before any Radio updates!
RAx releases (and the uninstallers) are radio year/pn and specific to each SW version.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh ! My bad good luck Sir !

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As of now everything works. The Pandora, aha, iheart apps are gone unless they just didn't populate yet.

He was almost right. I was trying to return my radio to stock us in the 16.13.13 version.

Also I have been playing with the 17.11.07 fw that I downloaded. I think it will work just fine. Not vehicle specific. In the files are splash screens for almost all FCA vehicles. Ram, Fiat, Ferrari, SRT, Jeep, etc. I even saw the Sierra wireless stuff in there so the I believe the Canada version,if it is a version is the same.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
As of now everything works. The Pandora, aha, iheart apps are gone unless they just didn't populate yet.

He was almost right. I was trying to return my radio to stock us in the 16.13.13 version.

Also I have been playing with the 17.11.07 fw that I downloaded. I think it will work just fine. Not vehicle specific. In the files are splash screens for almost all FCA vehicles. Ram, Fiat, Ferrari, SRT, Jeep, etc. I even saw the Sierra wireless stuff in there so the I believe the Canada version,if it is a version is the same.
Yeah, we've been down that road before kinda. MPGrimm and I (and others) have gone through and looked at the expanded firmware files themselves. A problem arises because there is a security inspection of the firmware just prior to flashing which checks the hardware against the firmware package installer.

There has been some speculation that this security check could be defeated by switching the USB flash drive to a modified/desired firmware USB flash drive just after the verification completes. So far, I don't believe any of us have been ballsy enough to try but those of us with problematic 8.4s are perfect candidates to try this out. I'm almost to that point if my NAV issues don't get resolved.

I could be wrong and someone here has tried and I missed it. MPGrimm would probably know, he's been the nexus and compiler of a lot of good information.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've seen a post or two about someone supposedly trying the Canadian version but I don't recall where I saw it.

Based on prior releases and verified md5/checksum differences between different PNs/years, I wouldn't recommend trying it myself.

NJCummins67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've seen a post or two about someone supposedly trying the Canadian version but I don't recall where I saw it.

Based on prior releases and verified md5/checksum differences between different PNs/years, I wouldn't recommend trying it myself.

I know we talked about this in the other thread, but I'm putting this here for others.

Try this at your own risk. I'm just saying it worked for me. Been 2 days and all good.

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 with OEM backup and cargo cams and a RA4 radio. Backup cam is in mirror and cargo in radio. I bricked my radio trying to install FCA software over a RAX Jailbreak without removing jailbreak first, and had to get another one, a 2015 RA4 from a salvage yard.

Installed newer 2015 radio and FCA FW 16.16.13, and with some help from the wonderful people at UConnect Access, I'm back in service. They had to remove the previous owners account info and add that radio to my truck so I could register that radio. No trip to the dealer.

Me being me and couldn't wait for the OTA, I installed the new 17.11.07 FW for a 2015 RA4 downloaded from UConnect using a Canada truck VIN from cacargurus.com with the same options. Installed via USB. For those that say it can't be done because of the wireless card. Phooey! The software is in there. It states for CA and MX only because they don't have Sprint network. And in US FCA probably has a deal with Sprint so they want you wait for OTA.

**NOTE** If you decide to install the 17.11.07 it takes a good hour and wait for it to complete. It reboots itself about 4 times during install and looks like it's in a loop. Just let it do its thing. Do it with the truck running so it doesn't time out and start all over. Follow the instructions exactly as the radio needs to reset itself after install. Be patient, go to the bathroom before you start. And don't touch ANYTHING!! just sit there and watch the 50 something screens that come up. If you need the window down to talk to someone, put it down before you start.

Once installed and waiting a day for everything to come down from UConnect the only issue was cargo cam showed on radio when in reverse. With help from SitKneelBend, Mpgrimm2 and Deereguy, this was corrected by moving the cargo cam wires from pins 31-33 in the factory harness to pins 24-26 and splicing into the backup cam wires in the passenger side panel and putting those into their respective pins at 31-33. You can get needed harness here M2 MODS

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that great news !

jfaubin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure what you are asking
I would buy a radio for changing my VP3 on myu ram sport. I would buy VP4 RA4 and not VP3 RA4. I call many recycler, but all radio is in truck. The recycler give me a vin number. It is possible to have a radio model with VIN number?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I would buy a radio for changing my VP3 on myu ram sport. I would buy VP4 RA4 and not VP3 RA4. I call many recycler, but all radio is in truck. The recycler give me a vin number. It is possible to have a radio model with VIN number?
Model number yes, part number maybe...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

jfaubin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Model number yes, part number maybe...

How find model number? i just find if is ra4 or not. Did you known if Limited RA4 have more options than the Sport with VP4?

regards

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
How find model number? i just find if is ra4 or not. Did you known if Limited RA4 have more options than the Sport with VP4?

regards
Ra4 is a model number itself. The full designation would be 8.4 AN RA4 / VP4. All RA4s of the same year have the same features. One thing to be careful of is buying one that's suitable for your region.

There are region codes tacked on to the end of the model number as well. For example, a radio meant for the United States will have the model number 8.4 AN RA4 / VP4 NA (NA = North America).

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer can give you part number with vin. You should be able to google the part number and find out if its a 3 or 4.

denfireguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am new here and on brain overload with all the information here. I also want to upgrade. My 2014 Ram 1500 currently has a 8.4 VP4 RA3 (68224531AC) with nav but not turned on. Also have the shark fin antenna. I want the HD radio feature so I bought a VP4 RA4. Questions:
1. The unit I got is Canadian. Other than the non Sprint cell phone service, am I in for other issues?
2. The people who I bought it from say that the Nav is turned on. Will it still be turned on when the dealer adds the radio to the VIN?

Thanks in advance for the help. This forum has tons of information and it almost feels like taking a drink from a fire hose and yes I have done that before.

Craig