Is the TPMS accurate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab DRW. I topped off the air yesterday, and the pressure reading on my gauge matched the reading of the TPMS system. Except for one tire. My gauge said 65 psi, the system said 62 psi. Is there a way to adjust it? Do I have a bad sensor at that tire? I trust the gauge.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is what works for me: 1st thing in the morning, preferably a cool one, I adjust the pressure with my gauge. I don't even look at the tpms until a few miles down the road. They always match. If they didn't I would check\confirm gauge 1st then truck\sensors.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Given the other 3 matched your gauge, that ~5% difference does seem high if it stays that way.

OP
OP
MegaRam18

MegaRam18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
This is what works for me: 1st thing in the morning, preferably a cool one, I adjust the pressure with my gauge. I don't even look at the tpms until a few miles down the road. They always match. If they didn't I would check\confirm gauge 1st then truck\sensors.
You think the one tire will equal out with the others after it warms up? That doesn't seem right.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TPMS as I have seen is pretty close. Of course air temp, last time U aired and equaled out, where truck parked (ie., which side gets sun first), all have affect. Also, I find that I can gauge all the tires at 39.5, which will read, but after operation where tires heat up/so does air pressure and higher temps. Just all IMHO,.....

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As long as they're within a couple of pounds of each other.....No problem.
TPMS is pretty accurate but it's not perfect.
It's a nice quick way to know if you have a leak/low tire and that's all it's really intended to be.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The tpms on both our 2016JKUR and our 2018 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi have always been very accurate.. I check them (tires) about every 30 days with air gauge and dash display... so far so gud .....

FPrice

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The TPMS on my 2017 Ram 1500 seems to always have a spread of 2-3 pounds early in the day. It evens up a bit as I drive but I seldom have all four the same.

A couple of weeks back my tires were reading around 34 psi (door panel sticker calls for 39) due to the cold weather so I took them to a local station that has an air pump that will fill your tires to the pressure you set. I filled them all to 39 and the TPMS read 39 on 3 and 38 on the fourth. Since then they still have a 2-3 pound difference cold but even out when driving.

I tend to use TPMS as an early warning for a tire pressure problem more than an accurate to the pound gauge.

Octane

Reaction score
I have one tire that always reads 1lb lower than the rest on the tpms.But my tire gauge shows all tires at same pressure