Is this the correct Redline 5w30 to quiet the hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hey guys, good morning,

Is this the correct redline to quiet the hemi?

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-15305-5W30-Motor/dp/B004BONVB6

If so, I'm going to try some in my 6.4. Its louder with the valvoline euro blend 0w40 I put in it last oil change.

I asked @Burla but didn't get a response so I'd like to make sure.

Also, what royal purple filter is recommended for the 6.4?

Thanks for your help. Have a good Thursday gents!

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey guys, good morning,

Is this the correct redline to quiet the hemi?

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-15305-5W30-Motor/dp/B004BONVB6

If so, I'm going to try some in my 6.4. Its louder with the valvoline euro blend 0w40 I put in it last oil change.

I asked @Burla but didn't get a response so I'd like to make sure.

Also, what royal purple filter is recommended for the 6.4?

Thanks for your help. Have a good Thursday gents!

That is the right type, but if you are in a 6.4, you need to run 0-40 or 5-40.

Filters are the 10-48 or the 20-820 if you want the larger filter.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You didn't put your location. I prefer 5w40 for the 6.4 based on what we have gotten back from guys with the 6.4 that have tried it. And yes that is "high performance" redline, which is the ester based quieting formula.

Now, if you are in cold place "and you get cold piston slap" your options to consider would be 5w30, 0w40, 0w30. This is just something we wont know until and unless you get it. We haven't had a lot of trial on this, I think Kyle is going to be the first one to try 5w30 redline in a 6.4 to deal with cold piston slap, but he hasn't done it yet.

So your engine is ticking at warm idle?

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks guys. I figured the red bottle ester based stuff was right but I wanted to be sure.

I am in PA. So not sure if I should go 5 or 0w40?

Thanks for confirmation on the royal purple filters.

The stock filter seems extremely small for a nearly 400ci engine so I think I'll run the bigger RP filter

Good stuff guys

Yes since switching to the valvoline there is more noise at idle...more than I had with PUP. So I'm looking to address that

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
You didn't put your location. I prefer 5w40 for the 6.4 based on what we have gotten back from guys with the 6.4 that have tried it. And yes that is "high performance" redline, which is the ester based quieting formula.

Now, if you are in cold place "and you get cold piston slap" your options to consider would be 5w30, 0w40, 0w30. This is just something we wont know until and unless you get it. We haven't had a lot of trial on this, I think Kyle is going to be the first one to try 5w30 redline in a 6.4 to deal with cold piston slap, but he hasn't done it yet.

So your engine is ticking at warm idle?

Hello Burla,

Thanks. As noted I'm in PA. Thinking based on your input use the 5w40. It really isn't that much thicker than the 0w40 cold so I don't see it being an issue, or ill just go with the 0w40 as that is the spec weight oil for my truck

Are you aware of any reason I shouldn't run the larger RP filter on my 6.4?

To answer your question, yes, since going to the valvoline, I've noticed the engine is noiser at idle than it was with the PUP, so I want to address that.

Thanks.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are all correct. For some reason the 4 qt jugs are always red with a blue label and the 1 qt bottles are white with the blue label. The racing oils(red label) don't have the right additives for street use and the professional series(black bottle) aren't really any better than anything you can get from Walmart for half the money.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ok guys....I went with the 5w40 redline for my 6.4 and royal purple 20-820 filter. I like that the 20-820 filter is a bit bigger than the tiny stock one.

Ordered 2 gallons and the filter from summit so I will have some left for next years change in the spring.

Wish me luck...I was just surprised, honestly how much noiser the engine is at idle with the valvoline 0w40 euro than the PUP.

I don't know if the valvoline advanced (which is what I ordered) would have been any better or not.

I've heard so much good about the redline I've been wanting to try it and this is a good excuse. I'm hoping for positive results

Thanks guys

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you order it already? I was hoping you read the second paragraph, I put that there because I was unaware of your location. Not a huge issue, but there is some potential for piston slap. Every hemi is different.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Yes ordered. I have none now with the 0w40 so we'll see. If I get some now, when I do my annual service in April I'll go to the 0w40.

I do a fair amount of towing, so I figured the 5w40 would be a good choice.

I've always felt the 0w spec oil was for fuel efficiency reasons. I'll find out

I'll report back once I get it changed out. Surprisingly it's supposed to be here tomorrow already! Super fast shipping

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5w30 is better then 0w40 for piston slap, I would have actually said 0w30 redline as an option. Keep that in back of your mind, if you get cold piton slap. 0w30 redline will likely be thicker then 0w40 srt oil at the end of your interval. Yes I know you have a 6.4.

If you are absent cold piston slap, for sure ram forum guys running the 6.4 have proven 5w40 is better then both 10w40 or 0w40 at killing ticks. Oil manu's have best effort oils, where certain oils have the best they can do, and with redline it seams that 5w30 and 5w40 are those oils. Stat sheet also suggests this with noacks and hths numbers. Those two together are measures of the quality of the base oil.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello Burla,

Thanks. As noted I'm in PA. Thinking based on your input use the 5w40. It really isn't that much thicker than the 0w40 cold so I don't see it being an issue, or ill just go with the 0w40 as that is the spec weight oil for my truck

Are you aware of any reason I shouldn't run the larger RP filter on my 6.4?

To answer your question, yes, since going to the valvoline, I've noticed the engine is noiser at idle than it was with the PUP, so I want to address that.

Thanks.

With the constant 90 F temps we have been having, I would be using the 5/40.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
5w30 is better then 0w40 for piston slap, I would have actually said 0w30 redline as an option. Keep that in back of your mind, if you get cold piton slap. 0w30 redline will likely be thicker then 0w40 srt oil at the end of your interval. Yes I know you have a 6.4.

If you are absent cold piston slap, for sure ram forum guys running the 6.4 have proven 5w40 is better then both 10w40 or 0w40 at killing ticks. Oil manu's have best effort oils, where certain oils have the best they can do, and with redline it seams that 5w30 and 5w40 are those oils. Stat sheet also suggests this with noacks and hths numbers. Those two together are measures of the quality of the base oil.

Thanks sir, excellent information. I typically prefer valvoline oils in my vehicles and I think it's good oil, so I was suprised how much noisier my engine was at hot idle with the valvoline. I typically use their full synthetic max life high mileage oils and a fram ultra filter.

Now I do wonder if Walmart would have sent me the correct 0w40 advanced full synthetic that I ordered specifically (that is their new oil that carries the mopar spec) if it would be behaving any differently? I dont know. My heart tells me no and I don't want to waste any more money messing around. Hence my order of the redline. I'm anxious to hear what it sounds like at full hot idle with the redline. It has never been very noisy. But as I said it's much louder on this valvoline euro than it ever was with PUP

The 6.4 (or hemis in general) must be a picky beast (lol) but I plan on keeping this truck another 7-12 yrs or so, till its around 15 yrs old and then getting another new one. So I want to do everything I can to take care of it the best that I can.

If she likes the redline, then that's what I'll give her. :) thanks again. Much appreciated all who have replied so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Update:

Last night I got to draining and changing out the valvoline 0w40 euro blend for the redline 5w40 and royal purple 20-820 filter.

Unless there is major placebo effect going on, right away upon start up, the engine seemed A LOT quieter. Kind of the same way after the first start with the valvoline it seemed noticeably more noisy (valve train noise).

So we shall see as the miles add on till the annual service in April of 2021, when I'll change it again regardless of mileage.

So far, so good! Big improvement, big reduction in valve train noise so far. Thanks for the help gents, much appreciated.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Update:

Last night I got to draining and changing out the valvoline 0w40 euro blend for the redline 5w40 and royal purple 20-820 filter.

Unless there is major placebo effect going on, right away upon start up, the engine seemed A LOT quieter. Kind of the same way after the first start with the valvoline it seemed noticeably more noisy (valve train noise).

So we shall see as the miles add on till the annual service in April of 2021, when I'll change it again regardless of mileage.

So far, so good! Big improvement, big reduction in valve train noise so far. Thanks for the help gents, much appreciated.

Placebo, your killing me, lol.

But, keep us updated to make sure the engine is as smooth from day 1 to when you change it. Now, in hemi tick engines redline gets even smoother the longer you use it, as the science suggests. Now, w/o tick just talking about general valve train noise, you will be cutting a new path for general information. So update the redline thread when you have some long term results.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Lol! Yeah I'm sure it's not placebo effect, just threw that out there because I usually do think my vehicles engines are quieter after i service them. However, as said, in this case with the valvoline 0w40, euro, at hot idle there was no question, right after the change it was noisier than the 0w40 PUP.

After the redline/royal purple change I ran it to circulate the new oil for several minutes, then shut down to check it. On the next start when I was going to advance auto to get rid of the waste oil it did lifter tap for a few seconds then went away.

I'm hoping the ADBV just wasn't seated properly or whatever. It should have been, as Thursday night was a very warm and muggy night, but we'll see. If it keeps doing that, I'll go back to the OE size Fram Ultra I had on it before, which I do believe is a very good filter (or maybe Wix XP)

Will do Sir, no problem. But agsin, so far a major improvement and the engine is significantly more quiet on the redline.

Thank you for all your help and research on this issue. The 6.4 hemi is a great/beast of an engine and I want to keep it happy and healthy for a long time.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lol! Yeah I'm sure it's not placebo effect, just threw that out there because I usually do think my vehicles engines are quieter after i service them. However, as said, in this case with the valvoline 0w40, euro, at hot idle there was no question, right after the change it was noisier than the 0w40 PUP.

After the redline/royal purple change I ran it to circulate the new oil for several minutes, then shut down to check it. On the next start when I was going to advance auto to get rid of the waste oil it did lifter tap for a few seconds then went away.

I'm hoping the ADBV just wasn't seated properly or whatever. It should have been, as Thursday night was a very warm and muggy night, but we'll see. If it keeps doing that, I'll go back to the OE size Fram Ultra I had on it before, which I do believe is a very good filter (or maybe Wix XP)

Will do Sir, no problem. But agsin, so far a major improvement and the engine is significantly more quiet on the redline.

Thank you for all your help and research on this issue. The 6.4 hemi is a great/beast of an engine and I want to keep it happy and healthy for a long time.

Restarting the engine after a short drive cycle (with more than a couple minutes in between) almost always causes lifter tap. FCA has this documented in a service manual and it's 'normal' if it goes away in 5 seconds.

You had the right idea with both valvoline and euro spec but it's not what the hemi is looking for. I'm sure the redline is making the engine quiet.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks. It sure seems to be so far, but time will tell.

I'm just grateful for this awesome forum with such great and helpful members like @Burla and moderators like @MADDOG who take the time to investigate these issues which helps us all. There are of course many other good contributors like my campimg buddies in the towing forum @Loudram and @392DevilDog.

Good dudes I've never met in person but am sure we'd have a good campfire chat out in the mountains somewhere. The respect and consideration we show each other here is second to none for a chat forum also.

I just appreciate the heck out of y'all and am glad to be a member here and drive a Ram.

Have a good Saturday gents!