Is this the correct Redline 5w30 to quiet the hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lol! Yeah I'm sure it's not placebo effect, just threw that out there because I usually do think my vehicles engines are quieter after i service them. However, as said, in this case with the valvoline 0w40, euro, at hot idle there was no question, right after the change it was noisier than the 0w40 PUP.

After the redline/royal purple change I ran it to circulate the new oil for several minutes, then shut down to check it. On the next start when I was going to advance auto to get rid of the waste oil it did lifter tap for a few seconds then went away.

I'm hoping the ADBV just wasn't seated properly or whatever. It should have been, as Thursday night was a very warm and muggy night, but we'll see. If it keeps doing that, I'll go back to the OE size Fram Ultra I had on it before, which I do believe is a very good filter (or maybe Wix XP)

Will do Sir, no problem. But agsin, so far a major improvement and the engine is significantly more quiet on the redline.

Thank you for all your help and research on this issue. The 6.4 hemi is a great/beast of an engine and I want to keep it happy and healthy for a long time.

In about 1/2 of the rams it takes 500 miles or more for the lifter tap to go away. That follows the science of molybdenum, in fact when redline makes the tick go away right away it makes me wonder if it was the moly or something else. If you get over 1,000 miles and it is still tapping, I'd call that a failure, but not until then imo.

Judy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just put Mobil 1 full synthetic with 1 quart of Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer in yesterday at 25K.
Had a mild tick prior. Instantly gone and engine is noticeably smoother and quieter.

we will see what time does.......

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
In about 1/2 of the rams it takes 500 miles or more for the lifter tap to go away. That follows the science of molybdenum, in fact when redline makes the tick go away right away it makes me wonder if it was the moly or something else. If you get over 1,000 miles and it is still tapping, I'd call that a failure, but not until then imo.

I don't think I ever had the hemi tick. On PUP my engine was relatively quiet. Going to that valvoline euro 0w40 I noticed it was noticeably louder, at hot idle which was concerning. (Immediately right after the change).

So i figured, why not go straight to a known good oil/filter combo and be done with it. So far, big improvement, much less valve train noise, similar to PUP. I'm happy and with the redline 5w40 I seem to have better full hot oil pressure. I'll post an update after I get some more miles on it if there are further improvements.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't think I ever had the hemi tick. On PUP my engine was relatively quiet. Going to that valvoline euro 0w40 I noticed it was noticeably louder, at hot idle which was concerning. (Immediately right after the change).

So i figured, why not go straight to a known good oil/filter combo and be done with it. So far, big improvement, much less valve train noise, similar to PUP. I'm happy and with the redline 5w40 I seem to have better full hot oil pressure. I'll post an update after I get some more miles on it if there are further improvements.

How do you think it is doing now? I purchased some redline 5w40 and about to do an oil change. Not sure what area you live in weather wise but I was concerned about the cold winter here in Ohio running the 5w40. I know the 0w40 is more for the cold start up. Thought about even mixing the 0w40 and 5w40 during the winter but wasn’t sure if it would be a good idea. I do know these trucks will grow a code if the wrong oil weight is used because mine had a code stored from the previous owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How do you think it is doing now? I purchased some redline 5w40 and about to do an oil change. Not sure what area you live in weather wise but I was concerned about the cold winter here in Ohio running the 5w40. I know the 0w40 is more for the cold start up. Thought about even mixing the 0w40 and 5w40 during the winter but wasn’t sure if it would be a good idea. I do know these trucks will grow a code if the wrong oil weight is used because mine had a code stored from the previous owner.

0w40 is a good idea, nut not redline 0w40, or 5w40. If it is 30f or lower go straight to 0w30 redine and don't look back. So redline 5w30 or 0w30 would be a little thinner then most 0w40/5w40's in the begging of interval, but after a thousand miles or so they are actually thicker as very likely those other oils should shear much faster.

But I'd like to know a little more to why you are considering running redline? I assume high mileage truck? Is something going on with the truck?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
0w40 is a good idea, nut not redline 0w40, or 5w40. If it is 30f or lower go straight to 0w30 redine and don't look back. So redline 5w30 or 0w30 would be a little thinner then most 0w40/5w40's in the begging of interval, but after a thousand miles or so they are actually thicker as very likely those other oils should shear much faster.

But I'd like to know a little more to why you are considering running redline? I assume high mileage truck? Is something going on with the truck?

Yeah it is high mileage truck. It is a 2015 with 145000 on it now. The truck runs great and no issues there. What I am experiencing is the cold start piston slap. It’s not lasting but maybe a couple of seconds and it I isn’t all the time but enough that I want to try something to combat it. I am currently running Amsoil 0w40 in it and like it but thought I would try redline as I have heard of good results for the piston slap. If it doesn’t work I will go back to the what I’m using now.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah it is high mileage truck. It is a 2015 with 145000 on it now. The truck runs great and no issues there. What I am experiencing is the cold start piston slap. It’s not lasting but maybe a couple of seconds and it I isn’t all the time but enough that I want to try something to combat it. I am currently running Amsoil 0w40 in it and like it but thought I would try redline as I have heard of good results for the piston slap. If it doesn’t work I will go back to the what I’m using now.

trying redline is a good thing, but you picked the wrong weight bud for piston slap.

save the 40 weight redline, it wont work on this issue, believe me. Go either 0w30 redline or 0w30 amsoil. Amsoil and redline do not have the formula to deal with piston slap, every 40 weight offering is near 15cSt, but their 0w30's are 4 points lower, meaning it will flow better at start up, by a lot. Mind you most 0w40's are right on the 12.50 operating visc line, even pup is 13's, but amsoil and redline do not make a cold friendly 40 weight oil, but they do make a cold friendly 0w30 oil, both of them do.

I'm just posting what the forum results are with piston slap, so save your self some disappointment. The numbers are astronomical when cold, in many cases depending on temp they can be in the thousands starting visc, stuff is a Popsicle.

Mind you amsoil and redline's viscosity on their 0w40's would be the thickest line on the graph below, but their 0w30's would be below the 5w30 line, it is this thick at 32f!! It is much thicker at 0F. However, amsoils or redlines 30 weight oils don't shear, so as you use that 40 weight oil it thins much faster. They are very stout 30 weights.

main-qimg-9df369fe6ae25dbc0527d4291c2558e6.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
cold viscosity of redline amsoil 0w30 would be somewhere around 600 cSt at 30f, but their 40 weights will be plus 1200 at the same temp. But the operating viscosity is but 4 points different to 11's and 12's for 30 weights to 14's and 15's for 40 weights. Seams like much of the forum has had some issues with these oils in 40 weight in the cold. good luck either way

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw a comment about using the Lucus oil stabilizer. I used this back in the day prior to redline when I used PUP. This did help in quieting down the engine, however the tick slowly came back, but nothing like it was. Now with Redline, my truck runs smooth and quiet. It’s been about 3000miles on Redline. Just a note, my truck was louder when I first switched to redline and I thought “I dropped this much money on oil and it doesn’t even work..... thanks @Burla !” lol It works!

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
trying redline is a good thing, but you picked the wrong weight bud for piston slap.

save the 40 weight redline, it wont work on this issue, believe me. Go either 0w30 redline or 0w30 amsoil. Amsoil and redline do not have the formula to deal with piston slap, every 40 weight offering is near 15cSt, but their 0w30's are 4 points lower, meaning it will flow better at start up, by a lot. Mind you most 0w40's are right on the 12.50 operating visc line, even pup is 13's, but amsoil and redline do not make a cold friendly 40 weight oil, but they do make a cold friendly 0w30 oil, both of them do.

I'm just posting what the forum results are with piston slap, so save your self some disappointment. The numbers are astronomical when cold, in many cases depending on temp they can be in the thousands starting visc, stuff is a Popsicle.

Mind you amsoil and redline's viscosity on their 0w40's would be the thickest line on the graph below, but their 0w30's would be below the 5w30 line, it is this thick at 32f!! It is much thicker at 0F. However, amsoils or redlines 30 weight oils don't shear, so as you use that 40 weight oil it thins much faster. They are very stout 30 weights.

main-qimg-9df369fe6ae25dbc0527d4291c2558e6.png

Thanks burla, is this oil weight you are suggesting for the 6.4 or 5.7? I realized I didn’t state mine is the 6.4 hemi. I do apologize if you meaning for the 5.7.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks burla, is this oil weight you are suggesting for the 6.4 or 5.7? I realized I didn’t state mine is the 6.4 hemi. I do apologize if you meaning for the 5.7.

Either, we have guys running 5w30 redline in the 6.4 and 5.7 and are completely happy with it and mind you these trucks had cold piston slap and hemi tick on other oils. The oil that fca specs for the hemi has a starting viscosity at 13.7, but most of the uoa's have that oil shearing down to the 11's or even 10's. So either 0w30 or 5w30 redline is very likely to be thicker at the end of the interval then the oil fca specs for that hemi.

I don't believe we had anyone try redline 0w30 yet in the 6.4, but kyle is digging the 5w30 and he had piston slap on 40 weights. He trusted me on the 30 weight recommendation, and 0w30 is a small step from 5w30 redline. Mind you we are discussing redline here, who's viscosities are always on the thick side, I wouldn't be recommending a thin 0w30. You already know 40 weight is causing piston slap, and all I can say for sure is we have guys that correct that to a large degree with 30 weight redlines, see if calling two of them can help inform you either way so you have the info, @Hemi395 has the 5.7, but @U&A has the 6.4. If you are uncomftible with 30 weights, I would suggest what we call super class oils, the 0w40's that are built right on the 12.5 viscosity line. They are a better choice then 40 weight amsoil or redline. Personally, I don't understand why amsoil and redline did what they did on 40 weights, as in they have no options that are thin like the field, but it is what it is, and those two oils knock in the cold.

Understand what I'm saying, I'm not saying 30 weight is the best answer to lubricate a 6.4, but I am saying they will be better at addressing piston slap. And at least with 5w30 redline, it is so stout of a formula you don't give up anything except for perhaps in the absolute extremes of towing super heavy or racing. I juts inform you but the choice and risk is yours.

In the end, whatever a spec oil viscosity ends up as at the end of an interval, is what you need to match. As long as you don't go thinner then that, you are good. Look up the uoa's of fca's 0w40 pup, look at the cSt.

Hammer gave us a great uoa sheet, even on short mileage look at how thin fca's spec oil is. Now, 0w30 redline is very likely gonna be thicker then this at this interval.

ded85bfd-523e-4a94-b9d3-3b04306c3b77-jpeg.171439

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I saw a comment about using the Lucus oil stabilizer. I used this back in the day prior to redline when I used PUP. This did help in quieting down the engine, however the tick slowly came back, but nothing like it was. Now with Redline, my truck runs smooth and quiet. It’s been about 3000miles on Redline. Just a note, my truck was louder when I first switched to redline and I thought “I dropped this much money on oil and it doesn’t even work..... thanks @Burla !” lol It works!

yeah me too, it was louder at first and has been on many rams. I'm not sure why, I think it is detergency strength or something cleans the film away, but then slowly plates. It is a very large % of hemi's that redline gets quiter the longer you use it.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

So far so good! Engine is quiet and running well. No cold start piston slap at all even with temps in the teens with redline 5w40.

Its been quiet and has better oil pressure by at least a few psi at full hot over 0w40 pup.

All is well at the present.

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been reading TONS of stuff on the old tick through this forum, and I've learned a lot - perhaps in lieu of starting another thread, I could ask this here -- NEW Hemi owner, 5.7 2013 with 83k.

I inherited this truck after it sat idle for a few months. As soon as I got it, we got an insane cold snap here, and that's when I noticed the tick.

I am willing to try the Redline 5w30 / Royal Purple filter but I've got a few questions!

Where are you guys getting the redline oilk? Previous threads listed some guy, nick? But his email is dead, I tried his email last night after reading a 30 page Tick thread. What about filter? I am unsure if this filter [20-500] is the proper fit, I don't understand the numbers associated with the different filters that pop up on google searches.

What if after putting "the wrong" oil in, I get a check engine light? How do I get rid of that if it happens?

For a first timer changing oil, although the filter seems kind of buried, it doesn't seem hard - any advice to a newbie?

THANKS A TON to people like @Burla who have helped me already, just from reading numerous posts!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Been reading TONS of stuff on the old tick through this forum, and I've learned a lot - perhaps in lieu of starting another thread, I could ask this here -- NEW Hemi owner, 5.7 2013 with 83k.

I inherited this truck after it sat idle for a few months. As soon as I got it, we got an insane cold snap here, and that's when I noticed the tick.

I am willing to try the Redline 5w30 / Royal Purple filter but I've got a few questions!

Where are you guys getting the redline oilk? Previous threads listed some guy, nick? But his email is dead, I tried his email last night after reading a 30 page Tick thread. What about filter? I am unsure if this filter [20-500] is the proper fit, I don't understand the numbers associated with the different filters that pop up on google searches.

What if after putting "the wrong" oil in, I get a check engine light? How do I get rid of that if it happens?

For a first timer changing oil, although the filter seems kind of buried, it doesn't seem hard - any advice to a newbie?

THANKS A TON to people like @Burla who have helped me already, just from reading numerous posts!

nicks deal, shop around but he is usually great for an exact amount. I would add si-1, great stuff 82 dollars for 7 quarts plus fuel cleaner 11 more bucks is a deal imo.

yes royal purple 20-820 will fit.

no CEL's recorded on the board, I have been using 5w30 nearly ten years.

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting - maybe the codes are in fancier trucks or just scare tactics from those who are vehemently against using anything other than 5w20! I've seen many YouTube videos mentioning this. Thank you for the reply!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Take filter off first
Interesting - maybe the codes are in fancier trucks or just scare tactics from those who are vehemently against using anything other than 5w20! I've seen many YouTube videos mentioning this. Thank you for the reply!

I'm not saying it wont happen, just I never heard about it on redline 5w30. someone says a ram throw a code?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

poll, one guy said he threw code out of many people, but I think was a knuckle head, no follow up and some people just mess around. 132 people no codes with oil.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Castrol synthetic since forever ago. I add a can of sea foam once a year. I am at 3/4 or above. No hemi tick again after it came up at miles.65k It’s at 137k and no tick since early on. I’m at almost 138k no tick has returned. I highly recommend castrol synthetic.

upload_2021-3-10_18-37-2.png

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take filter off first

I'm not saying it wont happen, just I never heard about it on redline 5w30. someone says a ram throw a code?

In this video in particular he says it will throw a code: (@6:05)

This video in particular, a 10 year Mopar mechanic, is why I ask the question in the first place. I am going to do the RL 5w30 / Royal Purp filter regardless, I have nothing to lost at this point.