Is this the correct Redline 5w30 to quiet the hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
In this video in particular he says it will throw a code: (@6:05)

This video in particular, a 10 year Mopar mechanic, is why I ask the question in the first place. I am going to do the RL 5w30 / Royal Purp filter regardless, I have nothing to lost at this point.

That's the benefit of Ram forum, we have likely 100 historical users of redline 5w30 with no codes thrown over as long as a decade, and 100's of ram forum members using other 5w30's with no codes thrown. maybe you will or wont get a CEL, but I'm wondering if that code has some allowance different states of viscosity, so the code gets thrown on something heavier then 5w30. Anyhow, the overwhelming evidence is 5w30 redline is a known tick killer, against the off chance you would get a oil code, the decision is yours.

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The decision's been made -- just got to find someone here who will help me throw in the 7 quarts from GotExhasut + new filter THANK YOU -- hope to learn enough to start contributing here soon enough.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Been reading TONS of stuff on the old tick through this forum, and I've learned a lot - perhaps in lieu of starting another thread, I could ask this here -- NEW Hemi owner, 5.7 2013 with 83k.

I inherited this truck after it sat idle for a few months. As soon as I got it, we got an insane cold snap here, and that's when I noticed the tick.

I am willing to try the Redline 5w30 / Royal Purple filter but I've got a few questions!

Where are you guys getting the redline oilk? Previous threads listed some guy, nick? But his email is dead, I tried his email last night after reading a 30 page Tick thread. What about filter? I am unsure if this filter [20-500] is the proper fit, I don't understand the numbers associated with the different filters that pop up on google searches.

What if after putting "the wrong" oil in, I get a check engine light? How do I get rid of that if it happens?

For a first timer changing oil, although the filter seems kind of buried, it doesn't seem hard - any advice to a newbie?

THANKS A TON to people like @Burla who have helped me already, just from reading numerous posts!

I try to avoid BezosWorld whenever possible, but this one was hard to pass up @ $9.83 / qt for 12 pack...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T9TLZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The decision's been made -- just got to find someone here who will help me throw in the 7 quarts from GotExhasut + new filter THANK YOU -- hope to learn enough to start contributing here soon enough.

What info are you needing, are you just messing?

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What info are you needing, are you just messing?

I'v got all the info I need from you guys here - I have seen the numerous people running this oil and filter combo, I've seen the numerous vids in other threads you've contributed to as well. I did some searching outside the forum and the video I posted above made me think, well, no one on the forums has said they have a check engine light due to the RL 5w30, but I asked you about it anyways, just trying to be cautious.

I have a "neighborhood mechanic" that I use but they said they only stock / order Mobil 1 products - I will ask them if they'll take my oil / filter and change it for me, I am just not set up currently to tackle it myself although I hope to get to that point soon enough it does not seem hard.

Again, thanks a ton for the help here! Gives me hope for this ticker!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'v got all the info I need from you guys here - I have seen the numerous people running this oil and filter combo, I've seen the numerous vids in other threads you've contributed to as well. I did some searching outside the forum and the video I posted above made me think, well, no one on the forums has said they have a check engine light due to the RL 5w30, but I asked you about it anyways, just trying to be cautious.

I have a "neighborhood mechanic" that I use but they said they only stock / order Mobil 1 products - I will ask them if they'll take my oil / filter and change it for me, I am just not set up currently to tackle it myself although I hope to get to that point soon enough it does not seem hard.

Again, thanks a ton for the help here! Gives me hope for this ticker!

Most quick lube places, oil stop for sure, takes owners oil and gives you value or credit back to change the oil. The nice thing about oil stop is like there is next to no wait time and you actually get to see them pour the redline into your truck. Now, the credit isn't large, but they only charge 35 bucks for an oil change, so expect 5 bucks off that price.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
dont let them upsell you.

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
dont let them upsell you.

Just got off the horn with 'em they said no problem they'll put in whatever I want, same with filter.

Hopefully the last question here - Amazon telling me that the

Royal Purple 20-820

Will not fit my '13 5.7L --- is that right or should I be getting the 20-500? I am a complete newbie here to oil filters.

This site confirms it will fit 8, 9, and 10 rams but no mention of the '13 - any advice here lads? THANKS!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just got off the horn with 'em they said no problem they'll put in whatever I want, same with filter.

Royal Purple 20-820

Will not fit my '13 5.7L --- is that right or should I be getting the 20-500? I am a complete newbie here to oil filters.

This site confirms it will fit 8, 9, and 10 rams but no mention of the '13 - any advice here lads? THANKS!

x2 it will fit many guys on the board use them with all 4 gens..

here, you see the cross reference filters, a lot of us like 20-820 not only because it is bigger, but wider and depending on how you think about it you can make the argument it is better flow then a longer one.

redline has a nice smell to it like brandy, so after your change you can smell the dipstick, if it smells like sweet like that it's redline. No I dont trust anyone, it is not personal, but I have seen enough in this life to never just accept what is told.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys rule -- I've donated to the site already, world of info obtained in a matter of days here thanks to you all. Half the posts you guys respond to are questions, the other half are posts thanking you all, so THANKS!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys rule -- I've donated to the site already, world of info obtained in a matter of days here thanks to you all. Half the posts you guys respond to are questions, the other half are posts thanking you all, so THANKS!

Get the RP 20 - 500 it has allot more media!!

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the 20-820 on the way with 12qts of RL 5w30 following close behind it. I could do a before and after video of the sounds, might be interesting to say the least. The truck was likely a fleet truck before my Grandfather bought it, and has sat for a bit until I got to it. It's only had dealer oil changes with Penzoil 5w20 for years. I don't know what filter but I'll look before I send it to the shop for the change.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Royal Purple 20-820

x2 it will fit many guys on the board use them with all 4 gens..

here, you see the cross reference filters, a lot of us like 20-820 not only because it is bigger, but wider and depending on how you think about it you can make the argument it is better flow then a longer one.
I've got the 20-820 on the way with 12qts of RL 5w30 following close behind it. I could do a before and after video of the sounds, might be interesting to say the least. The truck was likely a fleet truck before my Grandfather bought it, and has sat for a bit until I got to it. It's only had dealer oil changes with Penzoil 5w20 for years. I don't know what filter but I'll look before I send it to the shop for the change.

Right on, just fyi roughly 1/2 of trucks go silent over time with redline, that is the science of EP additives and apparently base oils, and roughly 1/2 go silent right away. Nearly all trucks get better with time, even those who go silent right away. This formula specifically 5w30 redline actually gets better in use, kind of a neat aspect of the oil and because of the phenomena of hemi tick ram forum realizes these things whereas most people have no idea about the upside to those heavy base oils with heavy additives. Also keep in the back of your mind, it isn't 100% effective, so whether it is the bees knees or fails you, please report the findings exactly how they are. In the redline poll I allowed people to change their vote, so you can change the vote if the experience changes. Let us know what is going on before you consider any changes if it didn't work right away, like I said you can always change your vote but as a forum we gain positive knowledge when we have all of the facts over time.

MD_84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
600 miles in and no change yet. She quiets down quite a bit when at operating temp but she's louder than ever on startup, ticking away. Will give it some time!

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
UPDATE:

I ran the 5w40 redline in my 6.4 about 5 months or so before my annual inspection I do on this truck every April.

The 5w40 ran well in my truck, but at annual I went to 0w40 redline.

In temps under say 50 degrees, could be 50-60 degrees on a cold engine, sitting overnight or for a few days, on the 5w, the oil pressure warning light would flash on for a few seconds each time I started it (and the engine fired). This was with a rp 20-820 filter, the bigger one and not the rp that is specified for my 6.4 (rp 10-48)

That was concerning for me so I went to the 0w and the rp 10-48 specified for the 6.4. On the 0w40, that does not happen, no oil light on after the engine fires, just like pup 0w40. There is no difference in engine noise 0w and 5w redline for me, both made the engine more quiet so I am pleased with the redline.

Whether the 20-820 had anything to do with it, I cannot say. I would venture to say probably not, but since i was buying another rp filter i didnt want to leave anything to chance. I believe it's due to the weight difference between the 5w and 0w redline, which burla would confirm is a notably heavier oil.

Yes, it's more costly, but I dont run many miles and based on all of @Burla research, (Thanks Sir) its worth it for me, personally.

I just wanted to share my observations for other 6.4 owners.

Have a good day.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
UPDATE:

I ran the 5w40 redline in my 6.4 about 5 months or so before my annual inspection I do on this truck every April.

The 5w40 ran well in my truck, but at annual I went to 0w40 redline.

In temps under say 50 degrees, could be 50-60 degrees on a cold engine, sitting overnight or for a few days, on the 5w, the oil pressure warning light would flash on for a few seconds each time I started it (and the engine fired). This was with a rp 20-820 filter, the bigger one and not the rp that is specified for my 6.4 (rp 10-48)

That was concerning for me so I went to the 0w and the rp 10-48 specified for the 6.4. On the 0w40, that does not happen, no oil light on after the engine fires, just like pup 0w40. There is no difference in engine noise 0w and 5w redline for me, both made the engine more quiet so I am pleased with the redline.

Whether the 20-820 had anything to do with it, I cannot say. I would venture to say probably not, but since i was buying another rp filter i didnt want to leave anything to chance. I believe it's due to the weight difference between the 5w and 0w redline, which burla would confirm is a notably heavier oil.

Yes, it's more costly, but I dont run many miles and based on all of @Burla research, (Thanks Sir) its worth it for me, personally.

I just wanted to share my observations for other 6.4 owners.

Have a good day.

So 0w40 redline is an outlier from 0w40's as far as viscosity goes. It is very thick, almost the same as 5w40 redline. I believe the main difference bwteen the 5w40 reldine and the 0w40 redline is the level of vii's. The noack hints as this as well as cold pours number. In other words, you give something to get something, but in the case of 0w40 redline what you get is more temporary then the 5w40. The hot performance is what you give to gain cold performance, however that is not saying you do not have great hot performance because in fact you do, just not as "good" as 5w40 redline. So glad you like the 0s40 redline, the other option for the 6.4 is 5w30 redline which is much closer to the viscosity fca specs for that hemi. Either are a solid choice, and if it aint broke down fix it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So 0w40 redline is an outlier from 0w40's as far as viscosity goes. It is very thick, almost the same as 5w40 redline. I believe the main difference bwteen the 5w40 reldine and the 0w40 redline is the level of vii's. The noack hints as this as well as cold pours number. In other words, you give something to get something, but in the case of 0w40 redline what you get is more temporary then the 5w40. The hot performance is what you give to gain cold performance, however that is not saying you do not have great hot performance because in fact you do, just not as "good" as 5w40 redline. So glad you like the 0s40 redline, the other option for the 6.4 is 5w30 redline which is much closer to the viscosity fca specs for that hemi. Either are a solid choice, and if it aint broke down fix it.

Once my wifes 6.4 Challenger is done with it's 4 "free" oil changes( yea she got sucked in when she bought the car),it'll get either 5W-30 or 5W-40 Redline,still on the fence about which one though.Car is always plugged in (outdoor plugs are on switches,and the block heater gets turned on for at least an hour before it gets started in the morning,even during the summer,as she drives less then 12 minutes to work),and on her week-ends off the car will go to the dragstrip,where she'll race it as many times as she can,and there's a good chance the car will get a 50 shot of nitrous and copper Brisk racing plugs.Which one would you reconmend Mike under those conditions?