Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jscan - better than AlfaOBD?

Discussion in '4th Gen DIY' started by kurek, Jul 8, 2020.

1. kurek

kurek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I know it's sort of comparing bananas and waffles but I have a license for AlfaOBD for my Ram and I have a VIN license for Jscan for my Patriot, and when I wanted to change the Ram's tire size and enable the trailer brake controller in AlfaOBD there were 3 or 4 different places I had to go to make sure the speedometer and the ABS and the body control module were all happy.. and I screwed it up a couple times and had to stare at a check ABS light until I just took it in to a Ram dealer because I ran out of time (moving to a new state, towing a trailer.. no more time to dink around) .

Meanwhile on my Jeep Patriot when I wanted to change tire size it's all just in one menu I pick whatever tire size I want and it's done in one step with no drama.

Tim7139, JohnnyMac and rebelkidd like this.
  2. Jimmy07

Jimmy07 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Yup, there’s a few threads here on the tire size change with AlfaOBD that explains the exact steps for the tire size change and abs initialization process. It’s in the one of the known working lists in the first post of the AlfaOBD thread. That’s the other reason I would recommend AlfaOBD over jscan- the support, and known working features are plastered all over every FCA vehicle forum.

3. emjohn4

emjohn4 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I have both. I like the interface of the JSCAN a bit better (more initiative), but AlphaOBD has more capability.

JSCAN wasn't much - I think $20 when I got it? I figured...low risk to try, worst case, I'm out $20.

MathanDubh, Tim7139 and JohnnyMac like this.
  4. ToxicFire

ToxicFire Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I was thinking about buying alpha might try this though

5. Livinalittle

Livinalittle Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    I doubt it will be "better", but i'm going to try it because all of my devices are iOS. I want to get all the benefits of Alpha OBD without having to go buy an android device.
    The OBDlink app for ios is pretty basic (unless there's something I've missed) The only thing it's really good for is reading and clearing codes.

I'll keep OBDlink on my phone for reading/clearing codes on my wife and friends cars, but I'll pay the $20 and keep Jscan just for my truck.

If anyone knows of an alternative for iOS devices I'm all ears though.

6. 808ram1500

808ram1500 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    4.7L
    So if you have aftermarket rim/tires without tpms sensors, will alphaobd get rid of it?

7. Livinalittle

Livinalittle Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi
    I haven't specifically looked at TPMS, but I have no doubt that you can disable TPMS with either app.

8. XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Having both programs and both iOS and Android I feel I can add to this. I started off with JScan on a hemi Jeep wk on iOS and I purchased a license for my 16 Ram aswell. I also bought a cheap android phone and picked up alfaobd for my ram because it has a few features that you can’t do with the JScan such as odometer correction and changing the evic splash screen and things like that.

I will say, Alfa for sure has far more in depth changes that can be made vs. the JScan.

price for price....

JScan I already had an iPhone (works for android also) the app was free, the vin license was $18 . Will cost more if you plan to use on more vehicles since you have to purchase vin licenses.

Alfa, bought a $30 android phone and paid $50 For the app. No vin licenses to purchase.

JScan has a FAR superior i user interface and nowhere near as clunky as alpha. I never had to worry about breaking something if I click a wrong button the way I do on Alfa lol. JScan there is no wait time when changing settings like there is on Alfa. JScan you can easily change things like TPMS, speedo corrections and such and without needing a 4 digit pin like on Alfa. The guy that runs JScan has pretty damn good customer services and always messages me back on social media when I have questions or concerns.

That being said, Alfa still does a lot more than JScan and has potential to do even more yet as people continue to unlock its potential.

I think Alfa would take off like a rocket if they made 2 very important changes. Add support for iOS and overhaul the user interface.

mas for which I think you should purchase?. I would purchase both (I did lol) they both are good tools to have on hand if you own a Chrysler product and they both have their place in my arsenal.

BUT, if you must choose one.... weigh out what your situation is first. Do you have iOS?.... do you want to a simple fogs on with highbeamed setting or enable led headlights/turns or adjust speedometer only looking to spend under $20...... then get the JScan.

if you have android and you are looking to do things like program miles after a 7” evic swap, or program spare keys or other pretty in depth enabling of features... and you don’t mind spending a little extra on the initial investment than go AlfaOBD.

I hope that helps folks make the decision a little easier on what they should get .

Livinalittle and JohnnyMac like this.
  9. pacofortacos

pacofortacos Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Can jscan add the trailer module?

10. XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You can download the JScan app and use the demo mode and it will let you get a good idea of what you can do with it

JohnnyMac likes this.