Jscan - better than AlfaOBD?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had never heard of Jscan before but I bought a Jeep recently (still have the Ram, both 2015 models) and needed to adjust tire size.

I was introduced to Jscan which works awesome on the Jeep - it looks like it has most of the stuff that AlfaOBD has but in an easier format. And it looks like it would work with Rams (they're on the menu... )

VIN licenses are $22 per vehicle so I haven't bought one yet for the Ram as I don't really need to do anything to it at the moment.

Anyone else have experience with Jscan on a Ram?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

jejb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Subscribed. Looking forward to more comment on this. I've looked at AlphaOBD, but the threads are a million posts long and their website is not easy to understand. So an easier to use product would be very interesting to me.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Interesting. I loaded it up and connected to the truck. Looks like it doesn't have everything that Alfa has at this point. Also got an adapter error when connecting to one of the modules saying I needed a ELM327 adapter which I have with the OBDlink MX and it works perfect with Alfa so know that is not the issue.

Something to keep an eye on if they continue to develop and iron out the bugs. Looks like they have it for Apple so good option for those folks.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the OBDLink MX with JSCAN on my 2015 Jeep Patriot and didn't have any kind of errors, corrected the tire size and disabled TPMS and fooled around with the OEM radio settings.

Will be interesting to see if other people have the same experience on Rams

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have an android device it's in the google play store just look for jscan. No idea about apple

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will admit I was apprehensive about using AlphaOBD for the reason stated above, there is just so much out there in the subject. But then I realized that is a good thing and I finally bought the plug, the security bypass and the app. I did have a glitch due to a change in the architecture but the fact that a lot of people use it was the best thing. I was helped quite a bit by Mpgrimm2 as I was using a harness I bought from him and figured out my problem. By the way he builds quality stuff, is a wealth of knowledge, and is a really nice guy and if you need any cables I highly recommend. Anyway, having those posts and videos from people like Big daddy's house (member here) plus all the other members who take the time to post and help is the reason why I felt confident enough to use the OBD. Good luck.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The app updated the other day but I haven't messed with it again (still only have the demo version) so have no idea what changed? Wish these companies would publish change logs so you can see what they updated?

Part of me wonders if someone took Alfa and just skinned over top of it or if this is a ground up new program?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The app updated the other day but I haven't messed with it again (still only have the demo version) so have no idea what changed? Wish these companies would publish change logs so you can see what they updated?

Part of me wonders if someone took Alfa and just skinned over top of it or if this is a ground up new program?

There was another program out, I think even before Alfa, called AppCarDiag. The dev let me trial run a full copy and it looked promising, but it really looked like they were not exposing all of the functionality the truck has. Lots of UI stuff, but things like enabling LEDs, etc would need to be added as UI elements that werent there.

It did download a database of features based on VIN, so potentially all of the things it could change are there, they just werent enabled yet....everything was a wizard type change, so there would need to be multiple UI elements for each feature. I havent used JScan but checking the demo really quick, it seems very similar. Versus AlfaOBD which seems like its just dumping the database of settings into drop downs and letting the user choose.

TBH I would look at JScan and AppCarDiag as a "novice" user alternative to AlfaOBD. most of the basic changes are already available and the UI walks you through everything. Alfa is there for the "big" stuff like adding keyless entry, heated/vented seats, etc.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve got a Jscan license for my 2017 VIN. It is definitely nowhere NEAR as capable as AlfaOBD. It has your basic BCM settings changes that the average person would do, but there’s no BCM configurable inputs and outputs settings in the list to be able to change. There’s basically no RF Hub support, except for sending test signals to lock and unlock the doors, so no fob programming or threshold changes. About the only good thing is, it’ll run a quick scan on all modules in one shot, but if it pulls up faults in different modules, you still have to connect to each module to clear the faults. My opinion...it’s $24 for ONE vehicle VIN, so you’re already half way to AlfaOBD. Might as well just go with AlfaOBD for those that are on the fence between different apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hemiipower