Making the move - is my gut right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone. So I bought a Jeep Gladiator about 6 weeks ago and I’m about to trade it in tomorrow for a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab night edition, level 2, with the Hemi. The Jeep is fun and all, maybe an impulse buy, but it seemed like a chore driving it. Top on? Top off? Gotta put the top back on before bed. Kids are cold? Kids are hot? The steering/wandering is terrible and it is super cramped inside. I’m losing about $1,600 total by making the move and my payment is going up $60 a month, but the Ram costs 6 grand more than the Gladiator. I think I’m making the right move.
Am I??? Thanks!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi everyone. So I bought a Jeep Gladiator about 6 weeks ago and I’m about to trade it in tomorrow for a 2020 Ram 1500 crew cab night edition, level 2, with the Hemi. The Jeep is fun and all, maybe an impulse buy, but it seemed like a chore driving it. Top on? Top off? Gotta put the top back on before bed. Kids are cold? Kids are hot? The steering/wandering is terrible and it is super cramped inside. I’m losing about $1,600 total by making the move and my payment is going up $60 a month, but the Ram costs 6 grand more than the Gladiator. I think I’m making the right move.
Am I??? Thanks!
I dunno, only your gut can tell you I guess. 6 weeks isn't very long to determine whether it's actually a chore. The top on/off thing may go away after the novelty wears off. You'd likely get used to the weird handling too, but kids and jeeps don't seem to be compatible for long. My brother tried that, and failed miserably and took a beating on trade.

I guess what I would ask myself is 'what was it about the gladiator that made me impulse buy it, and will I regret going to a 1500 and miss those impulse triggers later?'

And... is trading to a 1500 an impulse reaction to impulse regret?

At least you're not taking a massive bath on the jeep.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Always wanted a Jeep was pretty much the impulse. The whole top off experience. The novelty of off-roading. We took a couple off-road trips and it wasn’t all it was cracked up to be for us. Then you settle in to family life and realize it’s tight in there.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Always wanted a Jeep was pretty much the impulse. The whole top off experience. The novelty of off-roading. We took a couple off-road trips and it wasn’t all it was cracked up to be for us. Then you settle in to family life and realize it’s tight in there.
Ah, yeah. I get that.

To be honest, I think you'd be happier with a 1500 then. Especially with kids. The cramped interior of those things would make even the shortest outings a real PITA in my opinion. You can mark this down as a learning experience.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I waited several years to get a Gladiator and ended up trading my Wrangler for a 2019 Laramie about 6 months before the Gladiators hit the dealerships.
I still like them , but glad I bought what I did...

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Traded 2 Jeeps for the Ram
full

GEM1N1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Am I??? Thanks!

Lol. I made it twelve weeks. I’m trading my gladiator for a ram 2500 CTD this week. Pretty much the same experience you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Nobody can tell you what the right move for you is, except you. If the lesson is only costing $1600 (plus the extra $700/yr in payments) then you got away pretty cheap. I was about to buy a Gladiator (long time Jeeper here) but reality b!tc#-slapped me just in time.. If I wanted a tiny truck to play in I'd have gotten a Tacoma. Good luck with your new truck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone! Appreciate all the replies!

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
That was what changed my mind too-Ram has more bang for your buck...
More towing
More payload
More interior room
More refined in every way
More cargo space
Same gas mileage- ( individual results may vary)
Same price more or less depending on options.

FWIW-
I was checking out a Colorado ZR2 before I bought my Ram and was floored when the sticker said the Highway mileage was only 19mpgs!

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Ram_Classic_1.jpg My thoughts are yes the RAM is a better choice. To lose 1600 is a drag but rather than make your payments jump 70 a month , think about buying a cheaper RAM. Nothing wrong with getting a Tradesman and fixing it up to what you want. You might be money ahead and pay it off quicker.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I thought the Gadiator was cool, until test driving one. It's too small, and kind of weird to drive. Glad I went with the Ram 1500.
View attachment 221468 My thoughts are yes the RAM is a better choice. To lose 1600 is a drag but rather than make your payments jump 70 a month , think about buying a cheaper RAM. Nothing wrong with getting a Tradesman and fixing it up to what you want. You might be money ahead and pay it off quicker.
I went this route on my first Ram 1500 (2015 Tradesman ecodiesel). I regretted it within days of buying it after I found out how much it costs to upgrade the things I wanted to upgrade. And that's only if it can be upgraded. The 5th gens have even more things to choose from, like power folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, heated seats, ventilated seats, auto dimming headlights, rain sensing wipers, 360 degree camera, adaptive cruise control, just to name a few. Most of these things can't reasonably be added to a Tradesman. Don't get me wrong, the Tradesman gives you a lot of things I never even imagined in a pickup 20 years ago. But they just don't have the features I'm used to having now. That's the beauty of having so many different trim level choices. :waytogo:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Probably all over with now but following your gut got you into the wrong vehicle. Time to start using critical thinking and rational analysis when it comes to financial decisions.

Coming to a fan site and asking for support... what answers do you expect? Your money, your choice; hey I own a Ram so obviously I like them too. All I’m saying is don’t go to a bar and ask if you should buy a beer or not. ;)

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your dealer has a going to take u for a ride.... literally! U just handed him about 10k profit.... try selling it outright and you will maybe not get ripped too bad....

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Loved, all my Wrangler’s, don’t like the 4 door’s and despise the 4door Gladiator it just looks too slapped together for my taste’s. I think the 98-06 TJ’s were great, Love my Grand Cherokee’s owned 4 of them and on our 2nd Wk2. With that being said there’s really no comparison on-off road to my 12 Power Wagon, the truck just screams, “yeah, I know isn’t it”! And gets the job done and put to sleep.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably all over with now but following your gut got you into the wrong vehicle. Time to start using critical thinking and rational analysis when it comes to financial decisions.

Coming to a fan site and asking for support... what answers do you expect? Your money, your choice; hey I own a Ram so obviously I like them too. All I’m saying is don’t go to a bar and ask if you should buy a beer or not. ;)

It’s a forum. It’s what it’s for. Advice, questions, etc. Thanks Dr. Phil.

OP
OP
A

amm24dmb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your dealer has a going to take u for a ride.... literally! U just handed him about 10k profit.... try selling it outright and you will maybe not get ripped too bad....

Nah. Offering me $1,600 less than what I paid. Nowhere near 10K.