Need help truck keeps ticking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Connor r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 megacab non mds and I’m stumped on what to I’ve gone through the entire top end of the motor. I started by doing my lifters, exhaust manifolds and new plugs and all new gaskets (made sure to clean everything) and my truck was still ticking so then I thought okay maybe timing chain because it has 176km. So I went in and changed the timing chain tensioner and oil pump. Still ticking…. I’ve done an oil change after every time going into the engine and I have royal purple 5w 20 right now with a k&n filter. Also I change the belt tensioner, serp belt , alternator , thermostat, and when I was in my heads everything looked mint even looked at the cam and looked good. No engine codes… can provide video if needed.

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
5.7 hemi's are quite known to have a tick, it can be a harmless tick. Just about all hemi engines have a tick.

OR it could be low level of oil or low oil pressure / manifold leak(s) / lifter issues / issues with ignition system

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post a vid of it running could be many things cant tell until we hear it the 3rd gen rams normally have less ticking issues then the 4th gens also I would change to 5w30 most people including me think 5w20 is way to thin for hemis.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
lots of threads on this site, look around some you will find lots of advice like oil ,lubricants that have helped others .search .

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Connor r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So went back into the engine cam looks mint and took oil pan off and everything looks good I don’t get it

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So went back into the engine cam looks mint and took oil pan off and everything looks good I don’t get it
when the pan was off did you try to pry/move rods around to see if they have up and down play.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you check exhaust manifolds for cracked manifolds or bolts? does it get quitter when warm?
i am probably way out in left field but just an idea since it is also a knowin issue with 5.7 hemi's
keep us posted

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes no movement
Well I mean since lifters are new ect just try to put some miles on it sometimes lifters need to break in even tho it sounds prty bad if motor blows then you found the issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Connor r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Exhaust manifold bolts are brand new and also are both exhaust manifolds.

OP
OP
C

Connor r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
so I replaced the cam and my oil pan and now im switching to 5w30 penzoil ultra platinum with a k&n so we shall see

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so I replaced the cam and my oil pan and now im switching to 5w30 penzoil ultra platinum with a k&n so we shall see

There are many stories about successfully silencing Hemi tick by adding Lube Gard Bio/Tech engine protectant with your oil change. Many users have been adding this juice with every oil change as a SOP.

I was hoping to find some here in Canada for a reasonable price and to include it in my next oil change. It would make infinite sense in my mind for all cold-weather operations up here, at a minimum.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lubegard-3090.../tech+engine+protectant&qid=1670091140&sr=8-4

Lube Gard bio tech.jpg

OP
OP
C

Connor r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have tried Lucas and lube guard and my truck still ticks after new cam and 5w 30 oil

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe it's like an older gm , if it wasn't ticking something was wrong . I had an 08 hemi and it had a tick from day one . Just drove it like you stole it .

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had an 85 gm and Risoline oil treatment would stop it for a while . Sometimes it's something that isn't worth the effort , not hurting anything just annoying. Easy fix turn up the radio . Good luck on your hunt , hope you figure it out .

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that i have headphones re listened to your vid Your noise is 100% not a regular hemi tick its a diffrent kind of tap/knock you have a mechanical failure that your not seeing run it til it blows or pull it tear it all down and find issue should be ovbious with that kind of noise.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have tried Lucas and lube guard and my truck still ticks after new cam and 5w 30 oil
Lucas wouldnt ever help something like that, that is just an oil thickner. That sounds like metal out of tolerance, the only thing that could possibly help with that is EP (extreme pressure) additives like molybdenum. Plenty of paper on it where ever there is pressure, moly will plate that surface and smooth it out. Lubegard is ok about 50% effective, the nuclear option of redline 5w30 for many reasons, is about 80% effective. However, I have listened to 100's of lifter tick vids, yours is different, like jws says. Not sure if a lubrication strategy will help. I don't think it is lifters, might get a used oil analysis from blackstone, see what wear metals are wearing, you will need to put some miles on before doing so.