Oil temp waaaay to high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
need a lil help Pls... I have 18 ram 5.7l my engine oil is always higher than coolant and trans oil yesterday i did a lil wot it shot up to 240deg.. cruising normal rpm stays at around 220-225deg

Its hot out here already deleted the louvers infront of the rad and deleted the thermostat..

Is there another thermostat somewhere????

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t quote me because I’m no expert by any means, but I think you can do more harm than good by completely removing the thermostat. Dropping it down to a 180 maybe, but deleting it altogether, not sure I would do that

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your engine oil is heated at startup by a oil to water cooler. It is located above the oil filter. It is also beneficial because it helps to cool the oil when the truck is under load. There are no thermostats on the oil. You’re better off installing a 180° or 190° thermostat in for your engine coolant or you can run into issues cooling from your coolant moving to fast through the engine from deleting your thermostat. You could add an oil cooler to the vehicle as well. I’m running an oil filter relocation kit and it dropped my oil temps around 6° under normal driving and that’s without a cooler. My oil runs around 190° and I’m running a 190° tstat.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do not delete the coolant thermostat as that’s leaving you open to other issues. If your oil is running at 240, what is your coolant temperature? If it’s that high, then you might have a clog in your cooling system. That temperature is too high. Male sure you don’t have anything blocking the air in the radiator fins keeping it from cooling the coolant down.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If it's hot outside and accelerating or driving in a hilly area, it's not unreasonable to have oil temp at 240. EVIC would still show it in the middle of the range.

OP
OP
G

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the stock mopar oil and filter i did not remove the whole thermostat just the spring and block off thing in the middle its about 1/2 inch to slow down coolant, i still think temps should be lower than they are now..

thanks for the input guys going to check online for a good high quality oil cooler.. looks like the ram cooling system is boarder line adequate

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I use the stock mopar oil and filter i did not remove the whole thermostat just the spring and block off thing in the middle its about 1/2 inch to slow down coolant, i still think temps should be lower than they are now..

thanks for the input guys going to check online for a good high quality oil cooler.. looks like the ram cooling system is boarder line adequate

Might look at pulling out some of the middle shutters in front of the radiator to help with cooling/air flow.

OP
OP
G

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might look at pulling out some of the middle shutters in front of the radiator to help with cooling/air flow.

Took that shi out last year this truck doesn't need shutters to warm up” its got 16 spark plugs :) needs better cooling

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Nah i dont think this helps cooling enough im just going to stick a HD oil cooler inline quick n easy install thanks
Allows you to run 1 more quart of oil. My oil never gets above 200 degrees no matter what I'm doing.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nah i dont think this helps cooling enough im just going to stick a HD oil cooler inline quick n easy install thanks

If you're adding a stand alone oil cooler,make sure you add in the thermostat to control it.Something along these lines would work.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-c...n-oil-filter-mount-with-thermostat-p-781.html

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/high-flow-engine-oil-cooler-thermostat-p-212.html

I went to a Trans Dapt dual remote filter on mine,with upgraded -10 (5/8") fittings/hoses,made a world of difference in the oil temps.Ran a single remote filter for years and was surprised at how much cooler my oil temps are with the dual filter set-up in comparision.My oil pressures actually came up by about 1 psi compared to the original stock filter set-up.Oil changes are a bit more pricey though as it holds about 1.5 litres more 5W-30 Redline and needs 2 high dollar filters

https://www.amazon.com/Trans-Dapt-1030-Dual-Remote-Filter/dp/B000CQ47MO

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not just the fact that it’s a filter kit. It allows you to run an oil cooler as well. It is best to run a thermostatic oil cooler though so you don’t over cool the oil. Plus I’m lifted with 35s and harp on my truck constantly and never see oil over 210 even while off-roading which is extra hard on the cooling system since it’s constant load. Also depends on where you mount your filter. Direct airflow helps keep temps lower. Where it’s at now My oil actually stays cooler now than prior than with my stock bumper. And running a larger filter changes my oil temp as well. I run a full 8qts of oil in my truck with this setup. This setup allows you to add an oil cooler as well or run a thermostatic oil filter mount like previously mentioned and tie in an oil cooler that way. It’ll make your life easier. Especially since getting a filter mount to run an oil cooler in the stock location would be a royal pain without running a full filter relocation kit.

C6BFC4B2-938E-425B-8CFF-D20E6B16892A.jpeg

BB3E65C1-6621-42B4-AB33-F19EE5E9B82B.jpeg

0B21C53F-4EC6-409D-A5F4-984FAB3AA089.jpeg

4E543D14-1358-480D-878E-73CB7D73EC66.jpeg

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you do add in a remote filter,remember "Out" from the engine filter adapter goes to "In" on your remote filter mount,and "Out" from the remote filter mount goes to "In" on the engine adapter.If you run "In" to "In" and "Out" to "Out" you won't have any oil pressure

Last edited:

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good thread, I notice mine runs at around 220 to 223 on the hwy doing 105km hour. When i saw it hit 223 i though that cant be good.
Now i feel better seeing as its normal.I may have to run a relocate or a cooler.
So if i get a cooler i need to get thermostat and connect it inline with cooler correct

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good thread, I notice mine runs at around 220 to 223 on the hwy doing 105km hour. When i saw it hit 223 i though that cant be good.
Now i feel better seeing as its normal.I may have to run a relocate or a cooler.
So if i get a cooler i need to get thermostat and connect it inline with cooler correct

Being a Canuck yup you're going to want an inline thermostat if you add a stand alone oil cooler,otherwise the oil will never warm up in the winter