Votes: 66 20.3%
  • Mickey T's

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Falken Wildpeak.

Votes: 49 15.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 36 11.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Was just about to start a thread about the Grabbers - but not a good thread.

My truck is in the shop getting new tires after 15k on the Grabber ATP's - two of them failed specs while getting road force balanced, some form of internal issues. The truck has been driving like crap - rebalancing, rotating, rinse and repeat a few times with the same results.

My wifes SUV and my buddies F250 have the same issues. Installed at different shops...

Vibration, shimmy, slight bounce at certain speeds... all three vehicles have the same issues.

My neighbor happens to own the tire shop - he was telling me that something goes bad in the construction - the windings/belting (probably not the correct terms) shift under load and the tires come out of round and can't be balanced.

That's interesting, in that reviews were saying this about BFG KO2's and Toyo's. Continental has had these issues for their Contitrac series for years, but those weren't made at their General Tire Plant in USA.

It's really difficult to wade through all these brands and issues to figure what's best for us at any given time or vehicle. It's like trying to pick from a myriad of moving targets. Mine are fine so far, but I don't have 15k on them yet. I tried Coopers a while back, and they had no traction on wet roads, and terrible on snow roads. Ok, but since then they've changed their rubber recipes and who knows what else. These things are way too expensive to experiment with, so all member experiences are welcome, yet quite confusing.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ill have to get on the pc later to do the poll.

I pick toyo as #1. In the family we have had 2 sets of toyo AT’s and 1 of toyo MT’s. Iv got 46,000 on my toyo mt’s on a ram 3500 and they still have life left

Second place for me would be cooper or bfg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make a choice you cant have 3, lol.

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
For me it depends on the style of tire i want.

So i cant pic just one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the bigger story the tire brands that did well or the brands that didn't?

bridgestone and good years are everywhere, but yet are on the bottom of this poll and probably many more. I think oem good years quality really hurt this company despite the best marketing out there as they have owned nascar marketing for decades plus monopolize dealer refits. They should rethink those low quality oem tires? Either that or make a house brand with a different name. Clearly goodyear is the story here imo.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another vote for the KO2s, by far the best tires I've had on my truck20210926_152652.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my dad was just over in his 13 F150 4x4 and I was looking at his tires. He has nitto ridge grapplers. They had about 3/4 of there life left in them when he bought it earlier this year. He has about 10k on the truck now and man they are really wearing fast. I bet he is getting close to 1/4 of the life left. They are wearing evenly, but just something to keep in mind. Also the noise is awful with them. He will be replacing his soon. He is older and does not want the noise, but still wants to retain a good a/t or mud type tire. He doesnt want something aggressive looking. K02 came to mind, but I know a lot of y'all are having good luck with other brands.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
From my own experience I've never had any tire that done better for me than Michelins tires. They have been the best for me for quietness, smoothness, and mileage. I have the tires everyone hates on my truck right now which is the Goodyear Wrangler SRA's. I bought them because they were 1/2 the price of the Michelins. I have around 15,000 miles on them, they still look like new and are quiet. I don't do a lot of hauling or towing with my truck. I just made a 2600 mile trip hauling about 1000 lbs payload otherwise it usually runs empty. Something else "Only I" prefer is white letter tires, if they don't offer them I don't even look at them to buy. Everything works for someone.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's the bigger story the tire brands that did well or the brands that didn't?

bridgestone and good years are everywhere, but yet are on the bottom of this poll and probably many more. I think oem good years quality really hurt this company despite the best marketing out there as they have owned nascar marketing for decades plus monopolize dealer refits. They should rethink those low quality oem tires? Either that or make a house brand with a different name. Clearly goodyear is the story here imo.
On my Durango R/T AWD the stock goodyears made it 12k miles and they were toast. Awful tires.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Cooper Votes: 54 --------24.7%​

Michelin Votes: 46 --------21%​

Nitto Votes: 33 --------15.1%​

Falken Wildpeak: 31 --------14.2%​

BFG Votes: 30 --------13.7%​

Toyo Votes: 28 --------12.8%​

If you ask me the most interesting point of this poll is how close all the brands are, two brands stick out on top an then it is a wash for top 6. And, only 8% voted for "other", so really for practical purposes the "best" tires are on this list and the top two look real good for the general truck owners.

Clearly, by having such bad oem tires on rams, Goodyear takes a huge hit in popularity. And despite widepsread distribution in such places like Costco which basically sells 3 shop brand, Bridgestone is in the same camp as Goodyear. Coopers are whupping the field, clearly the most popular tire.

A much more interesting topic would be to the why, and I'm sure there are experiences and marketing behind that. But manu's who opt for the large oem contracts, suffer in the area resale and popularity. Nobody and I mean nobody markets like Goodyear, they practically own nascar, and come on a lot of vehicles from the factory, and yet they aren't even close to being a top 6 tire. A 7% market share for all the marketing is dismal.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Cooper Votes: 54 --------24.7%​

Michelin Votes: 46 --------21%​

Nitto Votes: 33 --------15.1%​

Falken Wildpeak: 31 --------14.2%​

BFG Votes: 30 --------13.7%​

Toyo Votes: 28 --------12.8%​

If you ask me the most interesting point of this poll is how close all the brands are, two brands stick out on top an then it is a wash for top 6. And, only 8% voted for "other", so really for practical purposes the "best" tires are on this list and the top two look real good for the general truck owners.

Clearly, by having such bad oem tires on rams, Goodyear takes a huge hit in popularity. And despite widepsread distribution in such places like Costco which basically sells 3 shop brand, Bridgestone is in the same camp as Goodyear. Coopers are whupping the field, clearly the most popular tire.

A much more interesting topic would be to the why, and I'm sure there are experiences and marketing behind that. But manu's who opt for the large oem contracts, suffer in the area resale and popularity. Nobody and I mean nobody markets like Goodyear, they practically own nascar, and come on a lot of vehicles from the factory, and yet they aren't even close to being a top 6 tire. A 7% market share for all the marketing is dismal.

I've had good luck with Cooper tires over the years so I can see why they scored as well as they did in the poll.

GY tires I have NEVER had a good experience with no matter what kind of tire it was. They always wore quick or had terrible traction....

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
General is a local plant just south of me. The plant has been around a long long time. I wanted Generals as I heard a lot of good luck with them over the years. Plus Texas plant. Anyways stopped into my local tire shop and they told me back in March I believe it was that the plant wasn't keeping up due to covid. They couldn't even touch the tires that were getting made. I use a big outfit called Texas tire so not some mom and pop. Still great guys. They took care of my parents at no charge when they got a flat on a road trip in my moms new Traverse. No charge to fix it. Anyways that is why I went with toyo. I had heard a lot of great things about them. I have no complaints at all. They are great tires. So is nitto. I ran a set on mine before. Not the ridge grapplers, but the Terra Grapplers. A little noisy, but thats just a mud tire. I had good luck with Goodyear slicks on my faster cars, Nitto was ok with those, and Mickey Thompson which makes a mud tire. Grandpa has ran two sets on his jeep since 04. Great tires as well.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Cooper tires over the years so I can see why they scored as well as they did in the poll.

GY tires I have NEVER had a good experience with no matter what kind of tire it was. They always wore quick or had terrible traction....
So far I can't judge the Goodyears I have because I've only put 15,000 miles on them. I've been to the drag strip twice since then, never had a problem with traction there, (thank God for traction control). I don't live where it really snows so can't judge them there either. They are quiet which is a must for me, can't stand a roaring tire noise. They were 1/2 the cost of the tires I really wanted (Michelin) is the reason I bought them. Guess I'll find out in the future.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far I can't judge the Goodyears I have because I've only put 15,000 miles on them. I've been to the drag strip twice since then, never had a problem with traction there, (thank God for traction control). I don't live where it really snows so can't judge them there either. They are quiet which is a must for me, can't stand a roaring tire noise. They were 1/2 the cost of the tires I really wanted (Michelin) is the reason I bought them. Guess I'll find out in the future.
Original set of SRAs on mine went 60k and then my dad put a set on it because the Terra Grapplers were too noisy for his tastes. I think those went another 25k and were done. They tend to pick up everything in the road. They are a lot better then the GM LS2 tires that if y'all complain about the SRA's man those things were awful. My grandpa had a set on his 08 and they started separating and I was looking at the back side under his truck and 3 of them had giant knots in them. My dad had 2 with them on it. and 07 Sierra which he blew one for no reason and his 08 Silverados didn't make it 25k. They were all 4 bald. I forget exactly which Goodyears were on my Durango, but brand new car and I had to replace all 4. I get they were probably a softer summer tire, but dang barely 12k miles. My Charger has Firehawks on it and they are great. 14k miles and no signs of wear. My wifes Pacifica has nexen and it has 20k miles and its a lease. Dodge informed me I need to replace them soon.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Original set of SRAs on mine went 60k and then my dad put a set on it because the Terra Grapplers were too noisy for his tastes. I think those went another 25k and were done. They tend to pick up everything in the road. They are a lot better then the GM LS2 tires that if y'all complain about the SRA's man those things were awful. My grandpa had a set on his 08 and they started separating and I was looking at the back side under his truck and 3 of them had giant knots in them. My dad had 2 with them on it. and 07 Sierra which he blew one for no reason and his 08 Silverados didn't make it 25k. They were all 4 bald. I forget exactly which Goodyears were on my Durango, but brand new car and I had to replace all 4. I get they were probably a softer summer tire, but dang barely 12k miles. My Charger has Firehawks on it and they are great. 14k miles and no signs of wear. My wifes Pacifica has nexen and it has 20k miles and its a lease. Dodge informed me I need to replace them soon.
I hear what you are saying. I '96 my wives Chrysler LHS had Goodyear Eagles performance tires on it when new and they lasted a whopping 25,000 miles. Swore I'd never have another set of those.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hear what you are saying. I '96 my wives Chrysler LHS had Goodyear Eagles performance tires on it when new and they lasted a whopping 25,000 miles. Swore I'd never have another set of those.
Good year is hit and miss. I think as a whole the SRA's are good tires. I remember looking at my ram and seeing the goodyears on it. First thing I did was look at issues with the Hemi and 6 speed and then my next concern was the SRAs. They seemed to be a lot better. I think for the price they are good tires.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
General is a local plant just south of me. The plant has been around a long long time. I wanted Generals as I heard a lot of good luck with them over the years. Plus Texas plant. Anyways stopped into my local tire shop and they told me back in March I believe it was that the plant wasn't keeping up due to covid. They couldn't even touch the tires that were getting made. I use a big outfit called Texas tire so not some mom and pop. Still great guys. They took care of my parents at no charge when they got a flat on a road trip in my moms new Traverse. No charge to fix it. Anyways that is why I went with toyo. I had heard a lot of great things about them. I have no complaints at all. They are great tires. So is nitto. I ran a set on mine before. Not the ridge grapplers, but the Terra Grapplers. A little noisy, but thats just a mud tire. I had good luck with Goodyear slicks on my faster cars, Nitto was ok with those, and Mickey Thompson which makes a mud tire. Grandpa has ran two sets on his jeep since 04. Great tires as well.

I put General (Continental) Grabber ATX on. Best tires I've ever owned for all conditions on a truck. They were manufactured at the plant there in the USA, too. Tire Rack rates them highly, along with Falken Wildpeak AT3, but those are made in Thailand, so I'd prefer USA made. Also, reviews are noting Michelin is slipping - out of balance issues. Cooper is ok (yes, I've driven their AT3's), but not nearly as good as General.