Poll- Do you like MDS?

Do you like MDS?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
thanks, for some reason I thought it was on the list, it is in fact isnt. However, it may not be on the gas mileage list, but it might just be on the good engine list if in fact it is a straight up di turbo with no undesirable gimmiks.

The Titan itself wasn't impressive when I drove one. I rated it 3rd behind Ram and F-150, but expect it would be forth if I bothered to drive a Tundra.

The ride of the Ram is head and shoulders above the Titan. The bed seemed small for a truck of it's size. The seats weren't bad, but not as comfortable as the Ram. Interior was ok. Bed rail system was a nice touch if you were more likely to haul bicycles than gravel. Like the Ford, you don't get 4 real doors unless you get the Crew Cab. Unlike Ford, you are stuck with a tiny bed if you get the crew cab.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I drove a titan a long time ago, personally i hated it.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not only did I not like it, but I found the prices were insane, much more dollars then the big 3 for an inferior truck. However, I dig the frontier, and I would appreciate the titan if the voodoo isnt in the mix, but still it would never see my driveway. I may have a frontier for a project some day, worked on my close friends for a decade, it is a joy to work on. They do have a messed up plug location, but generally the thing is a dream to work on. interesting the frontier is also not on the list the tacoma and ridgline are. I would never own either of those, ridgeline for obvious reasons, the tacoma because of the way your legs sit in the truck, cannot do it.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Not only did I not like it, but I found the prices were insane, much more dollars then the big 3 for an inferior truck.

The only reason I bothered to look at it was that it was a closeout end-of-model-year deal with "buddy pricing" on top that made it some $14k off sticker. Still didn't bother with it.

DI has it's own issue of coking valves unless it's one of the newer ones that recognizes that and puts an injector upwind of the valves to inhibit carbon build up.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I am in no way a fan of di's, been on the record of that for a long time, I'd chose port injected and loose the 15% efficiency to reap the benefits of longevity. Turbo's should be our future, but we should be able to chose the option pi instead of di. Produce both, let the marketplace decide.

Having said that, apparently they have minimized the issues with early di's, I hear a hydrid between the two is helping ease lspi.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would wager apples to apples, a pi 5.7 non mds hemi, would get better mileage then a mds hemi non pi/di. Which begs the question, why didnt we get that as an option if it would have been better mileage? We don't get to decide how that cat gets skinned. The eco boost is revolutionary, we could have had a different reiteration of that engine then what we have now.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Produce both, let the marketplace decide.

I doubt any company is going to go through the expense of designing, certifying, building, and supporting both just to give the marketplace another choice. Especially when the marketplace is happily buying up everything they can build.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Happy or settling? One brave company could knock the socks of this marketplace, destroy the competition.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Happy or settling? One brave company could knock the socks of this marketplace, destroy the competition.

I think you overestimate the number of people who know or care about the differences, and if every product they make is selling the difference between happy and settling is irrelevant. If that brave little company does come in and shake things up, I'm sure they would reevaluate. But nobody will. Which leaves the options of build what you want or deal with what other people build.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nah, I believe most guys bought a hemi not even knowing what mds was, especially in the early years of mds. Nobody told me about mds when I bought my 2010. My bad for not knowing, I get it thats on me, I will never buy another vehicle w/o researching it thoroughly. I have bought a bunch of vehicles new and never had anything like this on any of those vehicles. Al of this garbage you see in every single truck after 2010 was new, truck owners were unsuspecting of what ridiculous things are being done to our engines. And as stated, you could have skinned that cat way more efficient, but that didnt happen. Some of that happened, but then they add stuff that a majority of guys would never want on their truck. They will settle when they have no choice of they want a new truck, but they will be loyal to anyone who skins that cat in the way they would prefer it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not only did I not like it, but I found the prices were insane, much more dollars then the big 3 for an inferior truck. However, I dig the frontier, and I would appreciate the titan if the voodoo isnt in the mix, but still it would never see my driveway. I may have a frontier for a project some day, worked on my close friends for a decade, it is a joy to work on. They do have a messed up plug location, but generally the thing is a dream to work on. interesting the frontier is also not on the list the tacoma and ridgline are. I would never own either of those, ridgeline for obvious reasons, the tacoma because of the way your legs sit in the truck, cannot do it.
Lookup the procedure to change the alternator on a 4.0 Frontier. The engineer who decided to put the alternator there deserves a special place in hell.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I told Cummins they were making a mistake partnering with Nissan after Chrysler went bankrupt and Sergio kicked them out for putting a light duty diesel in the half ton truck. Plus they made the engine to big @ 5.0L V8 instead of putting in the robust ISB 4.5 I4.

Alas, executives are ALWAYS right no matter what. Hence the entire enterprise was a failure and discontinued. *sigh*
Right on the money. The ISV 5.0 was a huge flop, not just in the Titan. Perfectly predictable when you have a bunch of woke MBAs running an engine company. They don't know the sour history of diesel V-8s. Cummins has gone off the rails.

The other factor with the Nummins was Fred Diaz went from Ram to Nissan, and a Cummins/Aisin combo was a way to stick it to them. LOL

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MDS gets a lot of hate and probably with good reasons, however I sort of like it. When I had to get myself a replacement truck, I specifically wanted to get myself 2014 Ram as I knew that was the first year here in Dubai that had the MDS. My truck would be the daily driver and having it would be better for me.
My old Ram had MDS and used to give me an average of 12.8L/100. I used to get about 650 - 680 kilometers on a full tank and that is pretty good for a full size truck.
Now if we were to compare the MDS with the other cylinder deactivation systems like the ones in GM trucks, you find the MDS works much better and is certainly one of the more reliable ones.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
MDS gets a lot of hate and probably with good reasons, however I sort of like it. When I had to get myself a replacement truck, I specifically wanted to get myself 2014 Ram as I knew that was the first year here in Dubai that had the MDS. My truck would be the daily driver and having it would be better for me.
My old Ram had MDS and used to give me an average of 12.8L/100. I used to get about 650 - 680 kilometers on a full tank and that is pretty good for a full size truck.
Now if we were to compare the MDS with the other cylinder deactivation systems like the ones in GM trucks, you find the MDS works much better and is certainly one of the more reliable ones.

I'm curious, what's gas run in Dubai? I recall the traffic density being incredibly high, but I only passed through a few times. Gas in Qatar was the equivalent of 28 cents a US gallon when I was there...nobody gave a sideways fart about fuel economy. :D

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm curious, what's gas run in Dubai? I recall the traffic density being incredibly high, but I only passed through a few times. Gas in Qatar was the equivalent of 28 cents a US gallon when I was there...nobody gave a sideways fart about fuel economy. :D
0.75 USD/litre
Fuel is not really that expensive, however the less amount of fuel I use for my daily commutes, the more I get to spend for other fun activities. LOL

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the guys liking mds, you know you could have bought a pentastar and got even better gas mileage yes?
I'm not so sure about that.. Power to weight plays a hue role and my friend has a Charger with the V6.. That gave horrible gas mileage. It felt underpowered for a sedan. You had to rev the nuts off to get going off the line.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would tend to agree with Docwagon on this one - You may research every vehicle, but the majority of people don't. I knew what MDS was and when it was put int the Hemi and what to expect from it. Far more people go with looks, price or peer pressure and don't really research beforehand.

I'm not so sure about the V6 vs Hemi MPG thing. Alternately, no I couldn't have gotten a Pentastar for what I wanted to spend, they were still too new in the Ram at the time (2017) and finding a decent used one at a price I wanted to pay was difficult.

I've heard lots of V6 drivers say they're getting a little better mpg than the Hemi and some much better. What are the variables? Different driving styles, wheel choices, gearing, weather, terrain... so who knows? If I was looking at another one right now, it would be a V6, but then with my driving style, I'm pretty sure I could get better mpg out of it. But unless something goes seriously wrong with mine, the payment would far outweigh the gas savings, so I'm still in the Hemi.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I would tend to agree with Docwagon on this one - You may research every vehicle, but the majority of people don't. I knew what MDS was and when it was put int the Hemi and what to expect from it. Far more people go with looks, price or peer pressure and don't really research beforehand.

I'm not so sure about the V6 vs Hemi MPG thing. Alternately, no I couldn't have gotten a Pentastar for what I wanted to spend, they were still too new in the Ram at the time (2017) and finding a decent used one at a price I wanted to pay was difficult.

I've heard lots of V6 drivers say they're getting a little better mpg than the Hemi and some much better. What are the variables? Different driving styles, wheel choices, gearing, weather, terrain... so who knows? If I was looking at another one right now, it would be a V6, but then with my driving style, I'm pretty sure I could get better mpg out of it. But unless something goes seriously wrong with mine, the payment would far outweigh the gas savings, so I'm still in the Hemi.
I did my research and it showed I "had" to accept MDS if I wanted my truck unless I wanted a manual transmission (manual cars don't have MDS) which I did but they don't offer so I didn't have a choice. Can't imagine a manual transmission vehicle getting less MPG, my Challenger (without MDS) got better MPG with a manual transmission.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I never use the mds... I always lock it out and I get 21.5 mpg on the highway banging on all 8 cylinders... If I had wanted a 4 banger I would have bought one.. case closed... to each their own as they say...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank