Poll- Do you like MDS?

Do you like MDS?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Reaction score
Comparing diesels to gas? Go buy a diesel. Then you can complain about the emissions equipment. And the cost of diesel fuel. And the maintenance costs of diesel. And when that **** with the Ridgeline parks in front of the only diesel pump at the station and then goes in for a latte.

Comparing hybrids? Go buy a hybrid. Then you can complain about the complexity. And the battery lifespan. And the stop/start feature.

Comparing a Ridgeline? Go buy a Ridgeline. Then you can complain about your elevated estrogen levels and desire to wear skinny jeans while you block the only diesel pump at the station as you go get your latte.
I drove my big semi diesel tractor up to a pump at a gas station to get some diesel. And a father tells his young son that I shouldn't be there that that diesel fuel is for cars and not for trucks.
I suppose I didn't have a right to be there....lol. and put that "car fuel" in my big truck

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems I miss a lot by only dropping in once a day.

As I recall in the 09, the 4.7 got about 1-2mpg better in town and around the same for highway according to the sticker. Add in the 4x4 and it cuts about 1mpg off. My Hemi is a 4x2. The 4.7 was a QC vs the CC Hemi. Also, the commute I did with the 4.7 was a lot of back roads and some of them were fairly hilly so that didn't help either. It got about the same mpg on the one trip to FL I did with it - 19mpg doing 70-75.

One thing I forgot to mention - according to the door sticker, the 4.7 came stock with 17" wheels, but some PO had swapped them for the 20". I've no idea if they flashed the truck with the new size, but from my eyeball cipherin' (watching the odo and the mile markers on the highway) I'm guessing they didn't. So the spreadsheet I had going at the time compensated for that so it could well be off.

Truth be told, I didn't mind the 4.7. There are times I wish I'd kept it (that's what I get for listening to the wife), but I have to say, I do love my Big Yella - lots more "stuff" than the SLT. But with MDS, I'm not about to mod the exhaust, I turned down a '16 Stinger yellow because the modded exhaust sounded like sh** when MDS kicked in. And the price kinda sucked too.

Honestly for what I've used my truck for so far I could have bought a Ridgeline and done the same thing. But at the time, the older model Ridgeline didn't get that much better mpg, so why? Same goes for most of the other smaller trucks - the mpg isn't appreciably better, so why not have the extra space/power?

Some of the newer small trucks look interesting - Ford Maverick and the Hyundai Santa Cruz - but again, is the mpg improvement enough to justify the payment? Though the Maverick is pretty cheap to start with, the price goes up to get it where I'd want it. Decisions, decisions.....

Oh, and as I've said in another thread: Married men aren't HARD of hearing, they're TIRED of hearing.

Out Here

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I sure would like this truck a lot better w/o this mds garbage hanging on it, just like the majority here.

Then do an MDS delete. Seriously, if it bothers you this much why complain about it on a forum instead of just fixing it how you want it? Life's too short for that.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
every since reading this thread I can not stop toggling in and out to try and see a difference on how it feels and I am sorely disappointed as I can not feel one iota of difference either set of the pants or otherwise. I have turned radio off and fan off windows up windows down etc. I feel ripped off....I mean I paid for it I should be able to feel a difference.

Octane

Reaction score
every since reading this thread I can not stop toggling in and out to try and see a difference on how it feels and I am sorely disappointed as I can not feel one iota of difference either set of the pants or otherwise. I have turned radio off and fan off windows up windows down etc. I feel ripped off....I mean I paid for it I should be able to feel a difference.
But with those 4 cyinders shut down once in a while it saves the planet from pollution and global warming all at the same time! Don't you know that according to the superior government minds that we only have about 12 years till the earth burns up? Maybe this tech can give us a few months...life is precious. ( sarcasm)

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But with those 4 cyinders shut down once in a while it saves the planet from pollution and global warming all at the same time! Don't you know that according to the superior government minds that we only have about 12 years till the earth burns up? Maybe this tech can give us a few months...life is precious. ( sarcasm)
I always say I am only here a short while so I am going to burn as many fossil fuels as i can and leave as big of carbon footprint as possible...I know important politicians burn more and leave a bigger footprint in a day than I will in a lifetime but I am trying to keep up best I can.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There are many ways to skin this cat of fuel mileage and full size trucks, you see from the 12 most efficient trucks above how they did it. The major revolution on mileage wasnt mds, it was adding more gears in the transmissions. You see what happened when the rams went from rfe to 8 speed, both mds. Maybe we should have another thread on mds results, as in do a couple tanks with it off versus on.

Fuelly tracks real life mileage, here are some examples

2006 non mds hemi 14.21 mpg
2013 mds hemi 14.95 mpg
2016 mds 8 speed 18.76 mpg

So you see Coreys (@Hemi395) work unpeeling this onion, they send nearly the same amount of gas to the operating cylinders, so you have working cylinders working harder and inactive cylinders not working at all, and the fact is the reason these trucks are killing it at the pump over their predecessors is the transmission, NOT THE MDS. Low rpm's kill fuel mileage as much as high rpm's, you need the sweet spot, and more gears allows the rpm's to stay in that spot.

If someone would like to retort, the proper way is not to attack someone personally on a soap box, but rather to post facts, life is to short to spout feelings.

dgarber12771

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2005 300C's MDS was seamless. Couldn't feel it -at all-. On my 2015 Challenger R/T, I could feel it. On my 21 Warlock, I can feel it.

With the Challenger and the Warlock, MDS never kicked in on the parkway at anything over 70 mph, which means it never engaged for all practical purposes. But on secondary roads, it kicked in often. My work commute I take the parkway to work, and take secondary roads home. I *might* see 1 mpg leaving MDS engaged on those secondary roads on my ride home. I tuned the Challenger at the 11K mile mark, and it stayed that way until I traded it on my 21 Warlock at 53k miles. I averaged 18.5 mpg, driving with a very heavy foot, and close to 22 driving like "regular people".

My Warlock came with 3.21 gears. On the parkway it shifts from 8th to 7th often enough that I locked 8th out for a couple weeks. Made the drive more enjoyable, but I lost almost 2 mpg. So if mileage is important, getting taller rear gears helps a helluva lot more than MDS will. As it is, I'm averaging about 16.5-17.0 with the truck. When compared to my Challenger, I think that's pretty damn good.

My own research on lifter failure shows a slightly higher failure rate on the MDS lifters, vs the others. YMMV on that count, but that combined with the minor fuel economy improvement has me locking it out.

So in the end, I'm mostly indifferent about MDS. If it helped make the Hemi a reality, then I'm PRO-MDS.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My 2005 300C's MDS was seamless. Couldn't feel it -at all-. On my 2015 Challenger R/T, I could feel it. On my 21 Warlock, I can feel it.

With the Challenger and the Warlock, MDS never kicked in on the parkway at anything over 70 mph, which means it never engaged for all practical purposes. But on secondary roads, it kicked in often. My work commute I take the parkway to work, and take secondary roads home. I *might* see 1 mpg leaving MDS engaged on those secondary roads on my ride home. I tuned the Challenger at the 11K mile mark, and it stayed that way until I traded it on my 21 Warlock at 53k miles. I averaged 18.5 mpg, driving with a very heavy foot, and close to 22 driving like "regular people".

My Warlock came with 3.21 gears. On the parkway it shifts from 8th to 7th often enough that I locked 8th out for a couple weeks. Made the drive more enjoyable, but I lost almost 2 mpg. So if mileage is important, getting taller rear gears helps a helluva lot more than MDS will. As it is, I'm averaging about 16.5-17.0 with the truck. When compared to my Challenger, I think that's pretty damn good.

My own research on lifter failure shows a slightly higher failure rate on the MDS lifters, vs the others. YMMV on that count, but that combined with the minor fuel economy improvement has me locking it out.

So in the end, I'm mostly indifferent about MDS. If it helped make the Hemi a reality, then I'm PRO-MDS.
That was another good thing for mileage, those 3.21's paired with the 8 speed. I would bet this combo would give near the same with mds off or on, depending on how the truck travels anyhow. Makes me wonder what effect mds has on city driving, I can't imagine it would be beneficial to have an engine work like this manner with stop and go and stop again traffic.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I've read MDS works much better in the cars. Makes sense since they're lighter and more aerodynamic. I would like to see what the injector PW does on the active cylinders while in MDS on a 300 or Charger. I bet it's not doubled like it is on the trucks....

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
There are many ways to skin this cat of fuel mileage and full size trucks, you see from the 12 most efficient trucks above how they did it. The major revolution on mileage wasnt mds, it was adding more gears in the transmissions.

Hold up. You post a list of diesels, hybrids, and 4 cylinders then claim more gears in the transmission is what gets them that fuel economy?

Seriously, why not do an MDS delete if it causes you so much angst?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Comparing diesels to gas? Go buy a diesel. Then you can complain about the emissions equipment. And the cost of diesel fuel. And the maintenance costs of diesel. And when that **** with the Ridgeline parks in front of the only diesel pump at the station and then goes in for a latte.

Comparing hybrids? Go buy a hybrid. Then you can complain about the complexity. And the battery lifespan. And the stop/start feature.

Comparing a Ridgeline? Go buy a Ridgeline. Then you can complain about your elevated estrogen levels and desire to wear skinny jeans while you block the only diesel pump at the station as you go get your latte.
Then do an MDS delete. Seriously, if it bothers you this much why complain about it on a forum instead of just fixing it how you want it? Life's too short for that.

Hold up. You post a list of diesels, hybrids, and 4 cylinders then claim more gears in the transmission is what gets them that fuel economy?

Seriously, why not do an MDS delete if it causes you so much angst?

3 Rants about me, this is not a thread about Burla, it is a thread about MDS, it seams as if you are the one with a personal hang up, not me. If you can't handle the conversation because your side was getting hammered, feel free to exit the thread I started to discuss mds. The only reason my response would contain words like "garbage" is because these joke of a post aimed at myself. Nobody is anxed here except you, the rest of us is having a fine conversation about mds and fuel mileage.

Octane

Reaction score
I question that if mds was any good then why the new tech called e torque? That is a lot of r&d and expense so soon after coming out with that and is e- torque really any better than the mileage you get with mds? The guvmint and carmakers gonna turn these trucks into a Prius.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I question that if mds was any good then why the new tech called e torque? That is a lot of r&d and expense so soon after coming out with that and is e- torque really any better than the mileage you get with mds? The guvmint and carmakers gonna turn these trucks into a Prius.
mds ram with e torque and 8 speed with 3.21 gears pentastar or hemi, still isnt in the top twelve trucks for gas mileage as shown post 170. It would be nice to have one single truck as an option with just an engine and not smoke and mirrors, especially when you fail against the field at your goal of gas mileage, makes you wonder who is running that place. Only the ram eco diesel is on the list, and there is plenty of evidence of issues there.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
3 Rants about me, this is not a thread about Burla, it is a thread about MDS, it seams as if you are the one with a personal hang up, not me. If you can't handle the conversation because your side was getting hammered, feel free to exit the thread I started to discuss mds. The only reason my response would contain words like "garbage" is because these joke of a post aimed at myself. Nobody is anxed here except you, the rest of us is having a fine conversation about mds and fuel mileage.

Not rants in the slightest, and if you think I have something against you or are attacking you then you are *completely* misreading the situation. I've read a lot of your posts and seen your attention to detail and obvious intelligence. Which is why I asked (and prefaced as "Serious question" to distinguish from a hypothetical), if MDS bothers you so much and MDS delete kits are a thing why not do it? I hated the stock headlights. I changed them. If it would increase your enjoyment of your truck, why don't you do it?

That said, I think you're just dodging the question about the list. You can't in good faith make the argument that *diesels and hybrids* get better fuel economy than a gas V8 because they added gears to the transmissions and you know that wasn't a rant.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I am having issue with seeing Titan specs, but di turbo not auto stop on and no cylinder deactivation? I really like Nissan, I have had great luck with them getting 300k miles their little frontiers we had as work trucks, but never considered them for a full size. I know their latest frontier were even better then the last ones and in fact went largely unchancged from like 2003 to 2018. have to find the current version, one would think they have to have some voodoo attached, trying to verify either way.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I am having issue with seeing Titan specs, but di turbo not auto stop on and no cylinder deactivation? I really like Nissan, I have had great luck with them getting 300k miles their little frontiers we had as work trucks, but never considered them for a full size. I know their latest frontier were even better then the last ones and in fact went largely unchancged from like 2003 to 2018. have to find the current version, one would think they have to have some voodoo attached, trying to verify either way.

The Titan is a 5.6L gas that requires premium fuel and gets worse fuel economy than the Ram, unless something has changed very recently.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The Titan is a 5.6L gas that requires premium fuel and gets worse fuel economy than the Ram, unless something has changed very recently.
thanks, for some reason I thought it was on the list, it is in fact isnt. However, it may not be on the gas mileage list, but it might just be on the good engine list if in fact it is a straight up di turbo with no undesirable gimmiks.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

I told Cummins they were making a mistake partnering with Nissan after Chrysler went bankrupt and Sergio kicked them out for putting a light duty diesel in the half ton truck. Plus they made the engine to big @ 5.0L V8 instead of putting in the robust ISB 4.5 I4.

Alas, executives are ALWAYS right no matter what. Hence the entire enterprise was a failure and discontinued. *sigh*