Poll: Spyder Headlights Vs. Proper Retrofit Headlights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have ran several different headlights, HID, LED, and Halogen bulbs, including Spyder headlights. These included American made and Chinese made headlights. I have found issues with all, some More than others. I’m currently running a set of the older model Spyder angel eye projector headlights that I’ve had for a few years (switched out a couple
Months ago). The issue I had with them was the halos not that bright and the led bulbs around the outside was cheap.
I simply changed out the led’s around the outside and changed to LED bulbs. They alright for now, but would like to try your retrofit headlights. Option 3 looks Good!

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks guys... just wanted some opinions from other Ram owners.

As for people asking about my builds and business, I am not a vendor in these forums so therefore I can not share my business or anything related too it. Your free to search google for Ram retrofits and search for my builds that way, but I don’t want to be banned for sharing links and business info when I’m not a vendor. Hope you all understand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I like the Spyders and plan to do front fog and tail lights. No doubt there are better ones out there but for the price I want to give them a try. I just want better that stock at this point.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
OnSale has done his research and tested and tried more options for projectors, halos, and other internals for headlights and would not just throw the cheapest option on his headlights. Because of that and all of his hours of labor and heart that he throws into his headlights, there is no possible way that Spyder headlights can be better quality. That’s like saying a Yugo is the same quality as a Rolls Royce. There might be a chance for more mistakes when something is hand made but with all of the testing at each stage that OnSale does, the mistake is caught and fixed before it gets to the customer. Where Spyder won’t even come close to as much testing and that’s why the customers have so many issues. Plus, OnSale goes above and beyond to help us whether you buy from him or not! I’m living proof as he just helped me through installing HID bulbs and using AlphaOBD for the first time and he didn’t even need to! So, for looks, quality, and performance, I would buy any one of OnSale’s product way before considering a Spyder headlight!

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I like the Spyders and plan to do front fog and tail lights. No doubt there are better ones out there but for the price I want to give them a try. I just want better that stock at this point.

Well to be fair, the Spyder lights will be a downgrade jn lighting. They may “look cool” to you, but h actual light output will be decreased ALOT. Most ram members on these forums put the Spyder lights into their trucks and said they couldn’t see at all at night and it was like their lights were turned off.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OnSale has done his research and tested and tried more options for projectors, halos, and other internals for headlights and would not just throw the cheapest option on his headlights. Because of that and all of his hours of labor and heart that he throws into his headlights, there is no possible way that Spyder headlights can be better quality. That’s like saying a Yugo is the same quality as a Rolls Royce. There might be a chance for more mistakes when something is hand made but with all of the testing at each stage that OnSale does, the mistake is caught and fixed before it gets to the customer. Where Spyder won’t even come close to as much testing and that’s why the customers have so many issues. Plus, OnSale goes above and beyond to help us whether you buy from him or not! I’m living proof as he just helped me through installing HID bulbs and using AlphaOBD for the first time and he didn’t even need to! So, for looks, quality, and performance, I would buy any one of OnSale’s product way before considering a Spyder headlight!

Thanks guys...

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Well to be fair, the Spyder lights will be a downgrade jn lighting. They may “look cool” to you, but h actual light output will be decreased ALOT. Most ram members on these forums put the Spyder lights into their trucks and said they couldn’t see at all at night and it was like their lights were turned off.

Thank you for this advice I appreciate it. Whose lights would you recommend as an upgrade to reflectors as an alternative?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you for this advice I appreciate it. Whose lights would you recommend as an upgrade to reflectors as an alternative?

Uuuhhuummm...OnSale’s lights!! You really had to ask??? Geeezzz. Lol JK

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Well I mean a proper retrofit is always a good idea. There are plenty of company’s out there that build quality lights.

But if you are not looking a retrofit and just want to purchase an aftermarket set of lights, there are quite a few options out there but the best by far, for light output and build quality is AlphaRex. They offer the 13-18 style OEM projector lights for all 09-18 Rams for around $280 and they are plug n play. The projector in then is pretty decent for the price, it is WAY above the quality of Spyder and Recon projectors. AlphaRex also offers the 2019 Style Ram headlights for the 09-18 Rams.

If you are looking to keep your spending at $300 or less, I would highly recommend either the AlphaRex OEM Projector Replicas (available in chrome, black with chrome, all black, and even with switchback DRL’s). or the AlphaRex 2019 style lights which are also available in a few finishes and styles.

But of course, a proper retrofit is always the smartest decision.