Quieting Hemi Tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
CAG, one thing I forgot that Burla made mention of. You are in Ca. #1 rated consumer lemon law in the nation. Would not expect this to go that far and we are hopeful that it won't. But, persistent, consistent professional with a smile will either get your truck fixed or get you a new truck if push comes to shove. I am hoping you are in a part of Ca that has a decent, competent and fair dealer. good luck.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
CAG, one thing I forgot that Burla made mention of. You are in Ca. #1 rated consumer lemon law in the nation. Would not expect this to go that far and we are hopeful that it won't. But, persistent, consistent professional with a smile will either get your truck fixed or get you a new truck if push comes to shove. I am hoping you are in a part of Ca that has a decent, competent and fair dealer. good luck.
Pretty sure persistence causes cancer in califuckingfornia

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hemi395

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say I'm a Redline guy in the making lol. My truck has all Redline fluids in it with the exception of the front diff which has Amsoil Severe Gear (another great gear oil IMO). I like results and Redline has yielded some damn impressive results in my truck which I documented with videos. So unless Redline changes their formula which I seriously hope they don't, I will continue to run it.

I'm currently running Redline 0w20 in the wifes 17 Jeep GC 3.6. So far it hasn't made a difference sound wise for the wifes Jeep that other oils haven't done. But I like how it has more zinc and moly plus the PAO/Ester. But the 3.6 isn't a finicky Hemi with a with a history of valve train failures and noise either. I'm going to try PUP 0w20 in her Jeep next time to see how it likes that. Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than Amsoil SS or Redline. Plus its warranty compliant which is a concern for the Jeep.

I also am however slowly converting all my small engines over to Redline. So far I have my snowblower and generator running RL 5w30. Next is going to be my mower and weed eater. I like having the added zinc and moly in small engines plus the low temp properties which is important in my snowblower and generator.

But RL is not API certified and it doesn't *officially* carry the MS-6395 spec both of which are important for warranty.

@R.L.K. is definitely a Redline guy. He's had more experience with it than anyone on here that I know of. Plus hes a good guy and hes from Arkansas;)

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say I'm a Redline guy in the making lol. My truck has all Redline fluids in it with the exception of the front diff which has Amsoil Severe Gear (another great gear oil IMO). I like results and Redline has yielded some damn impressive results in my truck which I documented with videos. So unless Redline changes their formula which I seriously hope they don't, I will continue to run it.

I'm currently running Redline 0w20 in the wifes 17 Jeep GC 3.6. So far it hasn't made a difference sound wise for the wifes Jeep that other oils haven't done. But I like how it has more zinc and moly plus the PAO/Ester. But the 3.6 isn't a finicky Hemi with a with a history of valve train failures and noise either. I'm going to try PUP 0w20 in her Jeep next time to see how it likes that. Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than Amsoil SS or Redline. Plus its warranty compliant which is a concern for the Jeep.

I also am however slowly converting all my small engines over to Redline. So far I have my snowblower and generator running RL 5w30. Next is going to be my mower and weed eater. I like having the added zinc and moly in small engines plus the low temp properties which is important in my snowblower and generator.

But RL is not API certified and it doesn't *officially* carry the MS-6395 spec both of which are important for warranty.

@R.L.K. is definitely a Redline guy. He's had more experience with it than anyone on here that I know of. Plus hes a good guy and hes from Arkansas;)
Well I just can not disagree with your use of Redline oil products Sir [emoji1303]

I am from Arkansas , so obviously I'm better LOOKIN , smarter , stronger and very Modest ...which is my greatest quality ( modesty )

It's true I'm a Redline guy , I've been using Redline oil products for almost 30 years with fantastic results , years ago I use to rebuild / overhaul all my engines myself .. ( i pay folks to do it now , because I can [emoji16]) .
I've done the same for many of my friends over the years that didn't use Redline oil ...they use Redline now [emoji1303][emoji1303]

It's pretty much an obvious decision to use a better oil when their engine ( two stroke / 4 stroke / 6 or 8cy ) has wear that my similar Redline oil Engine just doesn't have [emoji1303]

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi,

Where in CA are you? I'm near San Francisco and been through everything (same as you) with my 2013 HEMI.
Guess what ... I've also had Century Warranty. Please cancel it asap and get a refund for it. It's a useless ************* scam warranty. I canceled it half way through and got a refund had same as yours. If anything, buy real Mopar factory warranty soon as it's being discontinued at end of the month lifetime warranty that is . If you choose to go this journey ...

I'll write my story later in the day...

Guys, one thing of concern though... If he convinces dealer to troubleshoot this, they'll be tearing apart his engine so early.. That would suck. I had my torn apart around 40k

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
so the other option live with it? He is in CA as you know, he is protected by our lemon law only if he attacks the problem. 4 tries in 18 months you are protected and will be driving another new truck or be sitting on 13g's, if not 4 tries in 18 mos you are screwed. Before you know it 19 mos will come and go, then you have I think 6 mos to file, double check that.

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I hear two things, apart from that chatter/rattle at startup. I hear fuel injector solenoids clicking and something in the background that sound more like tapping. Is the second one what you refer to hemi tick?

After reading through this thread and others as well, I am a little paranoid maybe? I do know that when I first start my truck it sounds like some very quick ticks or knocks, you can hear it in the video below. This always happens unless I first turn the key and wait for a few seconds or goes away after about 4 seconds when I cold start.

Can you guys tell me if you guys notice anything or if I have this tick?

Thank you all in advance.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I hear two things, apart from that chatter/rattle at startup. I hear fuel injector solenoids clicking and something in the background that sound more like tapping. Is the second one what you refer to hemi tick?

That is why I posted those videos my Man, because I wanted to know what everyone else thinks it is ...

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I listened to it, but not sure what to look for. My hemi at 90k makes all sorts of sounds like this, sometimes here, sometimes there ... I've been running 5-30 and gave up on stressing out about all these sounds. It seems that if one tries to listen carefully enough, one can always find something. I may be wrong though

Did you cancel that century warranty yet?? I'm serious about it, they won't cover ****, and you will be using your 60k powetrain warranty in the beginning anyway, and if anything happens after, century will only pay you cost of a motor from a junkyard with same miles as yours. Cancel it asap because you'll still be able to get all or most of your money back. Do a thorough research online about them if you doubt me

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading through this thread and others as well, I am a little paranoid maybe? I do know that when I first start my truck it sounds like some very quick ticks or knocks, you can hear it in the video below. This always happens unless I first turn the key and wait for a few seconds or goes away after about 4 seconds when I cold start.

Can you guys tell me if you guys notice anything or if I have this tick?

Thank you all in advance.

Sounds normal! The tick at the very beginning is typical lifter bleed down . I had that with my brand new 2015 except 100 times louder and worse than yours! Scared me soo much I had it flat bedded to the dealer ..... they gave me the bulletin on the hydraulic lifter bleed down symptom. Ever since I changed my oil. To redline 5w30 and filter to k&n or rp it hasn’t done it . I’m gonna guess your close to half way thru an oil change interval? But def wouldn’t worry about it . Enjoy the hemi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I listened to it, but not sure what to look for. My hemi at 90k makes all sorts of sounds like this, sometimes here, sometimes there ... I've been running 5-30 and gave up on stressing out about all these sounds. It seems that if one tries to listen carefully enough, one can always find something. I may be wrong though

Did you cancel that century warranty yet?? I'm serious about it, they won't cover ****, and you will be using your 60k powetrain warranty in the beginning anyway, and if anything happens after, century will only pay you cost of a motor from a junkyard with same miles as yours. Cancel it asap because you'll still be able to get all or most of your money back. Do a thorough research online about them if you doubt me

I will definitely look into .. and yes if you are looking for something you will find something, but in my case I didn't know what to look for at all and these guys here helped out a lot ...

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Sounds normal! The tick at the very beginning is typical lifter bleed down . I had that with my brand new 2015 except 100 times louder and worse than yours! Scared me soo much I had it flat bedded to the dealer ..... they gave me the bulletin on the hydraulic lifter bleed down symptom. Ever since I changed my oil. To redline 5w30 and filter to k&n or rp it hasn’t done it . I’m gonna guess your close to half way thru an oil change interval? But def wouldn’t worry about it . Enjoy the hemi!

I agree. My 2013 hemi been making all sorts of same sounds since new.

Not sure if everyone else's hemi sounds like a Rolls Royce but mine always sounded like a big ol Detroit engine

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

Yeah, in about 800 miles I will have the dealer change the oil and filter ... I am definitely enjoying my truck lol ... it's actually my first brand new car ever .. my other car is a 93 corolla with 335,000 miles with no problems ...but my Son finally graduated from high school this past June and the "Boss" said I should finally get me my truck ... got what I wanted and very happy so far ...

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'll go again through the comparison videos from a couple of guys running Redline 5W-30, but to me it seems like injector solenoid. Same as mine 2011 with 117.081 miles I bought and was running 5W-20 Mobil 1, now I am off to 5W-30 for a next few OCIs maybe the Motul 300V, but this one has different esters than Redline.

That is why I posted those videos my Man, because I wanted to know what everyone else thinks it is ...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll go again through the comparison videos from a couple of guys running Redline 5W-30, but to me it seems like injector solenoid. Same as mine 2011 with 117.081 miles I bought and was running 5W-20 Mobil 1, now I am off to 5W-30 for a next few OCIs maybe the Motul 300V, but this one has different esters than Redline.
@MK96 , if you use the Motul please post it here , interested in what you think about it [emoji1303]

MK96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sure I do, I'm still a bit undecided whether Redline or Motul. Motul is in Europe easier to get than Redline, that is why I'm leaning more to the Motul stuff. I plan to do UOA as well.

@MK96 , if you use the Motul please post it here , interested in what you think about it [emoji1303]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sure I do, I'm still a bit undecided whether Redline or Motul. Motul is in Europe easier to get than Redline, that is why I'm leaning more to the Motul stuff. I plan to do UOA as well.
If you can , do a voa ( Vigin oil analysis )on the new Motul if you go that route [emoji1303] I'm sure many here would like to see that as well !
Thanks
R.L.K.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you can , do a voa ( Vigin oil analysis )on the new Motul if you go that route [emoji1303] I'm sure many here would like to see that as well !
Thanks
R.L.K.

I can say it is the 300v if you want to get close to redline, some of the other motuls don't even have moly, crazy. What troubles me is flashpoint, if it is their top of line why does other offerings look more like redline's flashpoint? Safe bet, stick with redline imo.

Motul300V5w40VOA.jpg

oilreports_1%201-page-001_zps1bztne1y.jpg