Retrofit of the 12” UAX radio and screen into a Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yea idk what else to do, right now I've disconnected both batteries hoping a hard reset will help... But I also see a lot of people with early 12" screens suffered with this blue screen camera, don't know if maybe a firmware update would help.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I tried a hard reset, disconnected both batteries for an hour, no joy... When I booted it back up the prompt for the security code popped up for a split second then went away. The camera button in the settings was gone for a few minutes but after a key cycle it came back, unfortunately I'm still getting the blue screen for my camera, also the aux usb ports still don't work either...

I'm wondering if a firmware update will help, or I'm wondering if the radio module for a gen 4.5 HD is actually different from the radio module that goes in a true gen 5 1500. When Benny looked up the Vin for a 2500 with 12" screen he found these part numbers for its radio module:

68378392AE
68378394AE
68378396AE
68378398AE

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It seems my USB issue may be a bad hub from the factory, even with my OEM uconnect 5 hooked back up, the hub still connects and disconnects continuously.

Oddly enough when the truck is off and the u connect system is off (or unplugged) the USB hub connection issues go away, it's been consistently charging my phone now for 10 minutes. The moment I plug the uconnect back into the system it goes back to on and off again.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It seems my USB issue may be a bad hub from the factory, even with my OEM uconnect 5 hooked back up, the hub still connects and disconnects continuously.

Oddly enough when the truck is off and the u connect system is off (or unplugged) the USB hub connection issues go away, it's been consistently charging my phone now for 10 minutes. The moment I plug the uconnect back into the system it goes back to on and off again.
Can you post a pic of the back of your 5” radio, and point out the connector that the red fakra cable was plugged into? Also, a pic of your big C1 Radio harness, specifically of positions 31,32,&33?
If you want, I can send you my media hub just to try out, if it comes down to it.
@djcwardog , when you had the 12” installed, did the backup camera work for you?

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here's my Uconnect 5, it's the red connector at the bottom.

pWyVdi_XKh9OdvbbOa4r-7GaykHt1tpkpsOCyg7N4n8Q=w2400.jpg

As for the big harness connector, idk where the pins you specified are, can't really see any numbers on the back of the connector, but here's some pics, maybe you'll be able to see what you need to see:

itKsE5m4Qwxrc-Jd7mvLgfyr9vfFpQvN5ge6cv3CNRPU=w2400.jpg

at the moment i'm getting ready to just put the Uconnect 5 back in for now and i may take it back to the dealer and have them diagnose the wonky media hub.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just spoke with a member on a different forum who had the 12" UAX from the factory, and he had some of the same issues as me, one day his camera just stopped working completely, and he had an issue where all sources of audio were skipping like an old CD player. I noticed this while Bluetooth streaming music and on satellite. He said there was a tsb for a new camera that did indeed fix both issues. Im trying to find the tsb so I can find the replacement camera part number.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just spoke with a member on a different forum who had the 12" UAX from the factory, and he had some of the same issues as me, one day his camera just stopped working completely, and he had an issue where all sources of audio were skipping like an old CD player. I noticed this while Bluetooth streaming music and on satellite. He said there was a tsb for a new camera that did indeed fix both issues. Im trying to find the tsb so I can find the replacement camera part number.
I have a few of the newest part number coax cameras (that replace an old part number), if you want to try one of those.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a few of the newest part number coax cameras (that replace an old part number), if you want to try one of those.

I may take you up on that, from the tsb:

**Blank rear camera image in reverse (If this is the customer concern use camera LOP 18-60-02-D3) DT only.**

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Here's my Uconnect 5, it's the red connector at the bottom.

pWyVdi_XKh9OdvbbOa4r-7GaykHt1tpkpsOCyg7N4n8Q=w2400.jpg

As for the big harness connector, idk where the pins you specified are, can't really see any numbers on the back of the connector, but here's some pics, maybe you'll be able to see what you need to see:

itKsE5m4Qwxrc-Jd7mvLgfyr9vfFpQvN5ge6cv3CNRPU=w2400.jpg

at the moment i'm getting ready to just put the Uconnect 5 back in for now and i may take it back to the dealer and have them diagnose the wonky media hub.

Here is a pin out for the radio harness

56a2617ac4ec1dc1d6a1c7dfd73a8b68.png

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here is a pin out for the radio harness

56a2617ac4ec1dc1d6a1c7dfd73a8b68.png

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Thanks it looks like 31,32 are empty on my harness and 33,34 have lime green with yellow(33) and brown(34) stripe.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks it looks like 31,32 are empty on my harness and 33,34 have lime green with yellow(33) and brown(34) stripe.
You gotta remember the pinout is a view looking at the side that plugs into the radio, not the wire insertion side. Here’s 31,32,&33- cW2zzw1.jpg

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My bad, so i guess you can see in that picture the right wires are where they belong?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My bad, so i guess you can see in that picture the right wires are where they belong?
The right wires...for the old style analog camera. It makes me wonder which type of camera you actually have. There’s one that only uses the coax cable with a fakra connector, and there’s one that uses 6 wires (the 3 that are in that radio connector, Lin bus, power, and ground). Since there was a red fakra connector plugged into the radio, I would assume you have the coax camera, and those three wires are just there and don’t go any further than the first in-line connector they come to. But, I couldn’t guess for sure unless I knew what wires are at the connector just before they enter the tailgate.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I pulled the connector at the tailgate, there's a 3 or 4 pin connector and a separate single white fakra or coax cable next to it

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I pulled the connector at the tailgate, there's a 3 or 4 pin connector and a separate single white fakra or coax cable next to it
Just like this- luzyWDL.jpg
Definitely have the coax camera.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Alright I'm just gonna come right out and own this one, the USB hub is fine, Android auto works perfectly... It was my USB cable, I tested a USB drive and it worked fine so I went and grabbed the USB cable out of my wife's car and of course, problem solved...

I never even gave the cable a thought since it's a high end cable and it's the cable I used in my old truck for Android auto...

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Couple issues at the moment, radio is not detecting USB input, so no Android auto, and it's telling me camera system unavailable

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Gotta love Ram Cares posting in a radio modding thread. It did make me smile. I am pretty sure RAM dealers will not touch a 12" radio in a Tradesman mod with a 20 foot pole.

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Gotta love Ram Cares posting in a radio modding thread. It did make me smile. I am pretty sure RAM dealers will not touch a 12" radio in a Tradesman mod with a 20 foot pole.

LoL yea i was thinking the same thing...

So with this conversion i'm down to 2 main issues, the reverse camera does not work at all, and we've determined i have a newer style camera with a Coax connection, and the last much less pressing issue is there's still no Clock displayed at the top of the screen, not a big deal.

I just remembered I have the VIN from the donor vehicle for the radio module, so i punched it into Uconnects update checker, and even though my UAX 12 is running the oldest firmware, Uconnects website says my radio is up to date and no updates needed... I really think the update page on Uconnects website is just for show and it doesn't do anything anymore since they went to OTA updates, they just left it open to make people feel like they have the option to update manually...

Vin# from my Donor is 1C6SRFHT1KN671738 if maybe that helps shed some light on why my reverse camera isn't working or how to fix it.