RevMax 8 speed thermostat bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hovering around 20 lately. I do still have the grill shutters.

Also just for kicks I covered most of the trans cooler with a piece of rubber to test but it didn't seem to affect the temps. The trans cooler is so high that there doesn't seem to be much air directed at it through the grill anyway.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
That’s been done as well. It’ll run about 145° under normal driving conditions in ambient temps in the 60s and 70s. No telling with temps higher because nothing restricts fluid flow through the heater. That is the path of least resistance so the hotter the fluid gets the more likely it is to go through the heater assembly. Same thing with only removing the thermostat. The hotter the fluid the more it wants to go through the heater path because it’s easier to flow that way. That’s why when I only did the thermostat removal the fluid temp kept climbing past 185°.
As I have clearly stated, I would prefer a less drastic reduction in Temp. Well, you have just confirmed what I have been trying to investigate! You got Temps. right in the range that I would be happy with. Even if they went up to 160* in higher ambient temperatures it would be better than 188. Furthermore intermittent excursions to 190* would be no worse than what it does now.
My questions have been aimed at finding a "middle of the road" condition. Looks like it might very well be possible.
Thanks for the feedback.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I have clearly stated, I would prefer a less drastic reduction in Temp. Well, you have just confirmed what I have been trying to investigate! You got Temps. right in the range that I would be happy with. Even if they went up to 160* in higher ambient temperatures it would be better than 188. Furthermore intermittent excursions to 190* would be no worse than what it does now.
My questions have been aimed at finding a "middle of the road" condition. Looks like it might very well be possible.
Thanks for the feedback.
Yes and no. The concern is the thinner the fluid gets the more it goes through the heater and less is cooled so in theory it can keep getting hotter and hotter. I wouldn’t go that route. There still needs to be some form of thermal control to direct fluid flow to prevent overheating. Your best bet is to either do caulks piece or leave it stock. There is nothing wrong with stock. Plenty of vehicles well into the 100,000 mile range and still going.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes and no. The concern is the thinner the fluid gets the more it goes through the heater and less is cooled so in theory it can keep getting hotter and hotter. I wouldn’t go that route. There still needs to be some form of thermal control to direct fluid flow to prevent overheating. Your best bet is to either do caulks piece or leave it stock. There is nothing wrong with stock. Plenty of vehicles well into the 100,000 mile range and still going.

I bet,he'll never do this mod anyways,if he was actually going to try it out,he'd have got one of Jesse's plugs by now.
If he was actually reading the thread,he'd realize you've tried it out a couple differant ways already,which leads me to think he's not actually reading the posts,other then maybe to glance at them,as he's asking questions that have already been answered,not once,but several times
He's on another thread where he looks like he's starting to **** Rick's Ram off about mirrors to.
I'm pretty well to the point of ignoring his questions,lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bet,he'll never do this mod anyways,if he was actually going to try it out,he'd have got one of Jesse's plugs by now.
If he was actually reading the thread,he'd realize you've tried it out a couple differant ways already,which leads me to think he's not actually reading the posts,other then maybe to glance at them,as he's asking questions that have already been answered,not once,but several times
He's on another thread where he looks like he's starting to **** Rick's Ram off about mirrors to.
I'm pretty well to the point of ignoring his questions,lol
Yea. I’m about tired of posting the same pictures and explanations multiple times. Honestly it gets super annoying when you have to share the same picture with the same description again and again. However. I took a photo for reference. Drove for 35 minutes and temps were fully warmed up. Everything seems happy. Even getting 21mpg at 70mph according to the evic which is usually 1.5 mpg off

82023116-27EB-41C4-9449-B9CBC1F7186D.jpeg

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yea. I’m about tired of posting the same pictures and explanations multiple times. Honestly it gets super annoying when you have to share the same picture with the same description again and again. However. I took a photo for reference. Drove for 35 minutes and temps were fully warmed up. Everything seems happy. Even getting 21mpg at 70mph according to the evic which is usually 1.5 mpg off

View attachment 237745

Damn i gotta move to Florida,we're close to 120 degree's colder then you guys,lol I'd sweat like a bugger,but i'm ready for some sweating,lol.Lately we've had a couple days of -40F and with windchill close to -55F,that 84 above sure looks good,lol:cheers:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So anyway, back on topic... Keeping up with the requests for temperature. This was after nearly an hour of driving today, truck was parked outside for 11hr prior to starting.

IMG_20210215_172727678.jpg

Keep in mind that I still have the grill shutters and Kris above me does not.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So anyway, back on topic... Keeping up with the requests for temperature. This was after nearly an hour of driving today, truck was parked outside for 11hr prior to starting.

View attachment 237754

Keep in mind that I still have the grill shutters and Kris above me does not.
It’s crazy how your temps are close to mine. That must just be the happy point of the transmission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It’s crazy how your temps are close to mine. That must just be the happy point of the transmission.

Not only is there close to 60 degrees differance in outdoor temps,he's also 20 mph slower.I'd have to agree Khris,that might be the trannies so called "happy" point if you're not beating on it hard.Jesse's give his a bit of a hard acceleration test,have you tried giving your's a hard pull from low speeds to say 65 maybe 70 mph.Jesse took his up to wide open,but i wouldn't reconmend that unless you're on a private road or a closed course,or in Mexico,lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not only is there close to 60 degrees differance in outdoor temps,he's also 20 mph slower.I'd have to agree Khris,that might be the trannies so called "happy" point if you're not beating on it hard.Jesse's give his a bit of a hard acceleration test,have you tried giving your's a hard pull from low speeds to say 65 maybe 70 mph.Jesse took his up to wide open,but i wouldn't reconmend that unless you're on a private road or a closed course,or in Mexico,lol
Yes. Multiple times. Highest I saw was 132° after a good 0-75 mph run. Trans was at 126° before launching. Even in stop and go my trans sits around 118-122°

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes. Multiple times. Highest I saw was 132° after a good 0-75 mph run. Trans was at 126° before launching. Even in stop and go my trans sits around 118-122°

Man i'm looking forward to spring now,and seeing what happens with my tranny temps with the drag radials installed and the bottle turned on,a couple hard back to back pulls would put my tranny up around the 215/220 range,and it'd take forever to come back down to 180

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I guess there is only one way to find out. That can't happen until summer which will be best anyway as the Temps. Will be warmer. I agree that if I cannot find a way to modestly drop the Temp. staying stock and keeping clean relatively fresh fluid in the transmission would be best for me. I have always had that thought in the back of my mind.
Thanks again for the input.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Finally got around to deleting
cb6b07039bf45e19f9cd3478d5d9f4e6.jpg

bca4a94b4af88404ac51cd2ae0a2ba3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice wrap job on the midpipe,i approve,lol.I echo Crazykids post,i'm curious on the temps with the PPE pan myself.Mines still parked for probably at least another month or more yet.My front yard gives you an idea of what our streets are still like up here,lol

IMG_2916.JPG

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well after looking at it for awhile,i decided to order in the factory molded heater hoses for a 2012,and i'm converting it to the simpler earlier heater hose routing,for now the 3 way valve will stay on the frame rail,but the hoses will be deleted off it.
My **** ass got to me,lol. I think the 3 way valve can be deleted via HP,but i'm not positive,so for now it'll stay till i find out if it can be deleted.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The earlier 2012 factory molded heater hoses showed up today,got them installed. Sure does tidy up the underhood heater hoses with the tranny coolant heater hoses deleted and installing the earlier heater hoses. 100 bucks Canuck for the set of hoses from the local dealer,which wasn't as bad as i was figuring they'd be.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had the wifes car out today. Took it up west of Edmonton ,put 390 miles on it today,and today i paid really close attention to it's transmission temps. On the way up i had the cruise set at 125kmh/78mph it took 65 miles before the transmission reached 150F,outdoor temp averaged between 36F and 40F,my destination was 185 miles away,when i reached my destination,the transmission had finally reached 158F. On the way home its all uphill as where i was the elevation was 2,000ft,the elevation on my driveway is 3690ft,so roughly a 1700 foot change.The outdoor temp had increased to an average of 44F,i increased the cruise speed to 132 kmh's/83mph and the transmission never exceeded 168F and there's some pretty decent hills on the way home.Leads me to think the trucks stock operating transmission temps are excessive,just to meet the Cafe/Epa numbers FCA is claiming the trucks will get. Just a little tidbit for the guys who think 190 to 220F are normal operating temps for the 8 speed.
The wifes car is a 2019 6.4 Challenger with the 8 speed and the car turned over 6600 miles on the trip,and i haven't touched the car other then to remove the cats,it's an untuned 6.4

Last edited:

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Finally got around to installing the Revmax kit and doing a fluid and pan swap. I took a couple pictures but the forum says they are too big to upload. Anyway temps went down as they are supposed to. Started at about 105 degree transmission temp after the fluid level procedure with coolant 170 and oil temp 140. Drove about 12 miles which was 50% 70mph on the interstate. Coolant 206, Trans 132, Oil 217 at 55 degree air temp. I got onto it pretty hard getting onto the highway and even power braked a bit to load up the torque converter. Highest temp I saw was 140 and it seemed to stay above 130 while driving. It seems like the coolant and oil are running a bit hotter which makes sense that they aren't losing heat to warm the transmission.