Squeaking noise after the truck is off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

white17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2017 ram has been making a squeaking noise after the truck has been sitting with out being turned on. It doesn't seem to be a coolant leak or any bearings that could be making the noise as it hasn't been turned on for hours before making the issue comes up Any ideas what the issue could be here? I attached a video for reference.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My 2017 ram has been making a squeaking noise after the truck has been sitting with out being turned on. It doesn't seem to be a coolant leak or any bearings that could be making the noise as it hasn't been turned on for hours before making the issue comes up Any ideas what the issue could be here? I attached a video for reference.

Have you opened the hood while it's happening to see if it is louder?

OP
OP
W

white17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It can't be heard from outside the vehicle. I actually just got it back from the dealer and the technician has never head that sound before.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It can't be heard from outside the vehicle. I actually just got it back from the dealer and the technician has never head that sound before.
I think it's your radio. To test you can unplug the inline fuse for the radio in the engine bay in front of the battery and the brake booster.

OP
OP
W

white17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'll give that a try this weekend when I have more time to troubleshoot. Thanks for pointing me in a direction

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The 8.4 radio is more or less, 1/3rd radio & 2/3rds computer

It is constantly searching for Satellite Data, that is indirectly sent out by Ram Headquarters.

Not only that, but the 5 or 6 Actuators, ( little motors ) that open & close the HVAC Doors, are self Calibrating.
Most Actuators self calibrate when the Coolant heats up & cools down. The Ignition does not have to be powered up

I would think that once the coolant reached outdoors temperature, the actuators would go to sleep.

Radio transmissions should silent, just like the FOB & RF HB

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

white17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 8.4 radio is more or less, 1/3rd radio & 2/3rds computer

It is constantly searching for Satellite Data, that is indirectly sent out by Ram Headquarters.

Not only that, but the 5 or 6 Actuators, ( little motors ) that open & close the HVAC Doors, are self Calibrating.
Most Actuators self calibrate when the Coolant heats up & cools down. The Ignition does not have to be powered up

I would think that once the coolant reached outdoors temperature, the actuators would go to sleep.

Radio transmissions should silent, just like the FOB & RF HB
The confusing part is that it happens after the truck has been sitting for hours. It would be one thing if it was a few minutes after I turned it off. That clip I posted was during my lunch break after 5 hours of sitting there without being turned on. The battery was only using power long enough to unlock the doors.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That clip I posted was during my lunch break after 5 hours of sitting there without being turned on. The battery was only using power long enough to unlock the doors.
Just opening the door will "wake" the vehicle electronics up. Leave a window down and let the truck sit for 5 minutes, the truck should go "back to sleep" to see if the sound stops.

OP
OP
W

white17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Once the sound starts it will continue for roughly 10 minutes and stop for a short time and start again.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once the sound starts it will continue for roughly 10 minutes and stop for a short time and start again.

This is why I believe it’s a HVAC blend door. As others have stated as soon as you hit that unlock button on the fob, grab a door handle if you have proximity handles or open the door it wakes up the electrical system. As soon as the CANBUS system is energized it will begin running diagnostics on some systems whether you start the vehicle or not. The blend doors recalibrate themselves and you can hear the electromechanical servos in operation. The easiest one to view its operation is the outside air blend door. If you remove the glove box and look on top of the area where the cabin air filter is, you’ll see a strange looking clam shell pleated accordion looking thing. DON’T MOVE IT BY HAND. After the truck is turned off wait a few minutes and watch that clam shell looking thing. It will readjust itself open or close to be in the proper position for the next drive cycle. The other blend doors do the same thing but you can’t see them as they are behind the dash. Normally this is normal operation but when one of those servo motors goes bad it will continuously try to recalibrate. Hopefully this is not your issue because replacing some of those servos requires removal of the dash.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is all great advice but start with the radio fuse. 30 seconds to test and I've seen this before.

Out of curiosity can the OP just pull the negative battery lead and see if the noise goes away? This would indicate whether it’s electrical or mechanical in nature.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Out of curiosity can the OP just pull the negative battery lead and see if the noise goes away?
Problem with pulling the negative battery cable if it is a blend door, those will stop moving also. Pulling the radio fuse will eliminate that as the issue. When troubleshooting you want to eliminate one potential cause at a time.

OP
OP
W

white17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is all great advice but start with the radio fuse. 30 seconds to test and I've seen this before.
I think you were spot on. I pulled the fuse and it seems like the noise stopped. It luckily started as soon as I went to lunch today so I had time to test. I am going to try and replicate it this weekend. Would this indicate that the radio needs replaced or is it as simple as a new fuse?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Problem with pulling the negative battery cable if it is a blend door, those will stop moving also. Pulling the radio fuse will eliminate that as the issue. When troubleshooting you want to eliminate one potential cause at a time.

Right, could not agree with you more. Why I asked about pulling the negative battery lead. Determine if it’s electrical or mechanical in nature and move on from there. Hopefully the OP has found the problem as suggested by Sitkneelbend. I’m curious what’s the fix for this issue.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think you were spot on. I pulled the fuse and it seems like the noise stopped. It luckily started as soon as I went to lunch today so I had time to test. I am going to try and replicate it this weekend. Would this indicate that the radio needs replaced or is it as simple as a new fuse?
I'll see if I wrote anything down when I saw this occur to me. It may have just been the screen but it might have been a radio I returned without further testing...If it's not killing your battery or causing other issues, the best fix might be turning the music up!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I found where I've spoken about it but nothing pointing to a fix (maybe bad internal/external ground?)...

OP
OP
W

white17ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I found where I've spoken about it but nothing pointing to a fix (maybe bad internal/external ground?)...

Yeah my coworker has a Durango and said his makes the same noise. Maybe it's somewhat normal but people never notice it because they don't just sit in their vehicle with it off for extended periods of time.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah my coworker has a Durango and said his makes the same noise. Maybe it's somewhat normal but people never notice it because they don't just sit in their vehicle with it off for extended periods of time.
I'd only say that while it's not normal operation it is something reported by others in the past. Improving the factory grounds in the engine bay did not cure it when I saw it occurring but different radios did.