Stake Pocket Tie Downs (+ how many tie down points come from factory?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered a 2021 Laramie, should be here in 8 weeks. I'm ridiculously impatient when it comes to add ons. I've got a set of 22" Limited wheels arriving today and wheel to wheel bars coming next week. Other than that the tonneau cover and some more tie down points are all I need to get started. It looks like the stake pockets on the ram are pretty standard, but I haven't pulled out the tape measure to make sure. Will a standard stake pocket tie down fit?

Honestly I've not looked in the bed in too close of detail and like I said I don't even have the truck yet. How many points are there that I could ratchet down my cargo (ATVs mostly)? I did not order it with any of the bed/cargo management accessories.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Normally you have one loop type tie-down at each corner of the bed.

Stake pockets are standard size so any stake pocket mounted tie-down will work.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had a set of custom bars welded up that skeleton the wheel wells for tie down and something to lock my mountain bikes to in the bed. Also have the pop up stake pocket style. They aren't as strong, but handy if you have something to tie down on top of the tonneau or for cargo netting if it's hard to get hooked to the factory hooks because the box is loaded up completely.

ToyHaulin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L v8 Hemi® MDS VVT
some more tie down points are all I need to get started

I want more anchor points near the upper corners of the bed. Is there anyone that makes any accessory to add them? For now I will like put tie down hooks into those oblongated holes in the bed walls.

OP
OP
J

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want more anchor points near the upper corners of the bed. Is there anyone that makes any accessory to add them? For now I will like put tie down hooks into those oblongated holes in the bed walls.

I have the truck now and thankfully did not buy any tie downs before it got here. To me, it looks like the stake pocket tie downs would likely only grip the plastic bed rail cap. Not sure why that cap molds down into that hole an inch or more, but I can't feel metal down there so I'm assuming any stake pocket type tie down is just going to pull on that plastic cap if I crank a strap too hard. Did you put tie down hooks in those oblong holes? I'm thinking this is the route I will go but I'm not sure what will fit in there.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have the truck now and thankfully did not buy any tie downs before it got here. To me, it looks like the stake pocket tie downs would likely only grip the plastic bed rail cap. Not sure why that cap molds down into that hole an inch or more, but I can't feel metal down there so I'm assuming any stake pocket type tie down is just going to pull on that plastic cap if I crank a strap too hard. Did you put tie down hooks in those oblong holes? I'm thinking this is the route I will go but I'm not sure what will fit in there.
I put bed rails on my RAM so they cover the pockets ! Plus when I did have the pocket tie downs I had to cut the hole in the plastic on the front pocket !
I wanted more tie down points and found these ! They will be here today and are bolt on so no drilling :) Not sure if they will work for you but worth a look ?
Also look into the L Track system , That may work

https://www.myteeproducts.com/4-foo...l-track-stud-with-stainless-steel-ring-4.html
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=L+track

https://www.etrailer.com/p-EX1932.html

Anchors.png

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I will probably install a couple stainless U-bolts through the bed.

I also have the rail system, but it has too few tie down points and I don't think it is all that sturdy. https://www.mopar.com/en-us/care/dy...4EC4C2-F606-47E2-82F6-A632E83AD6FD&tocID=2017
I always like those rail mounts , but held off. I really do not want to drill holes in my truck :O That's why I went to those Extang clamps. Buut no drilling needed and rated at 500 lbs and are movable as needed ! I have 6
https://www.etrailer.com/p-EX1932.html

Michael Seitter

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your question is a little confusing. If you are talking about aftermarket tie-downs for the 4 top corners of your bed I would suggest you look at Bull Ring Retractable Stake Pocket Tie downs. I have them in black on my Patriot Blue 2020 Ram 1500. They lay flush and are strong. Just install them and to get to the tie-down ring up, just push it down and it pops up. When finished push it down again and it stays down. If you have the plastic bed rail cover DO NOT REMOVE THEM!! There are at least 10 different sizes and oddly spaced holes which would cost a ton to have repaired. There are directions on youtube showing the installation of the BullRings with the rail covers. A little cutting or routering opens the stake holes to accept the Hooks. No cutting of the bed is necessary. Bullring includes a router bit. There are also Bull Rings for the interior of some truck beds. I installed a BedRug in my truck and I can't remember if it has holes for the rings or not. If those aren't what you are talking about, my Laramie came with inside the bed rails with sliding adjustable strap hook locations. There are two adjustable strap hooks on each side and more can be added, but they are pricey. You can find a lot of tie-downs on the internet. I hope all this helps.