Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What happened to the hoe then?
Man it turned into a drastic money pit. Everything I wanted for it I bought and it snowballed. I had about 5k in the system alone, 4.88 gears and Tru trac, upgraded axle shafts, 6.5" Cepek lift with another 1k in suspension upgrades...it just never ended and I realized I had to stop dumping money into it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man it turned into a drastic money pit. Everything I wanted for it I bought and it snowballed. I had about 5k in the system alone, 4.88 gears and Tru trac, upgraded axle shafts, 6.5" Cepek lift with another 1k in suspension upgrades...it just never ended and I realized I had to stop dumping money into it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Just wait till you start moding you're Ram. My wife has ask me a couple of times, are you done now. Yeah, for now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey anyone happen to know the best place to buy Redline in Canada? There aren't any suppliers on the east coast that I can find.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure I could, just that the shipping/duties can be tricky. And some won't even ship up here. And they're wanting an arm and a leg for the stuff on Amazon.ca. Summit doesn't ship here either, but I'll see if Jegs is any different.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wait till you start moding you're Ram. My wife has ask me a couple of times, are you done now. Yeah, for now.

Lol at this point every time I tell the wife I'm getting something for the truck she just rolls her eyes and shakes her head

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always been an Amsoil signature series guy. I have heard alot of great things about Red Line here and on some other forums I've been on. I have no real reason to go away from Amsoil as it's been great to me but I think I'm going to give Red Line a shot next time, at least for my HEMI.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure I could, just that the shipping/duties can be tricky. And some won't even ship up here. And they're wanting an arm and a leg for the stuff on Amazon.ca. Summit doesn't ship here either, but I'll see if Jegs is any different.

What I found on Amazon.ca is a 12 pack (quart) of 5w30 for $220 CDN. What is the US cost for a quart? Did not find a gallon container on the .ca site.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I found on Amazon.ca is a 12 pack (quart) of 5w30 for $220 CDN. What is the US cost for a quart? Did not find a gallon container on the .ca site.

Yeah that's the same one I came across, not really much selection on the ca site of course. Quart is about $12 US on Jegs.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
i know this is technically a motor oil thread lol. but!

i just picked up some valvoline 75w140 gear oil for my rear diff. its says limited slip on the bottle. i dont have the LSD.

but its not a problem right?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
i know this is technically a motor oil thread lol. but!

i just picked up some valvoline 75w140 gear oil for my rear diff. its says limited slip on the bottle. i dont have the LSD.

but its not a problem right?

The reason why some people don't add that is because it can increase oxidation. Most oil companies tell you not to add limited slip until you hear chatter, this is why. Generally speaking it just means a lower interval. Next time find an axle fluid w/o the slip added, good oils will not need the ls additive anyway. Go ahead and use it, but maybe swap it out between 20 and 30k miles.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What state in Canada? Anyhow, they have plenty of places to get it look up international dealer locator.

I'm in Newfoundland, the closest place according to that locator is Quebec. But I'll probably call up some of the dealers on there and see what kind of prices they want. Shipping and what not looks reasonable with Jegs, so I'll probably order up enough for a couple of oil changes, tranny fluid, diffs, etc. to really make it worthwhile.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline tranny fluid and gear fluid doubles or triples your oil change interval, literally pays for itself in these applications. Using esters in the transmission and gears is the way to go. Heat tears down mineral oils, but at the temps you might see in gears the esters will just not degrade. Rams new "lifetime" fluid is a PAO, and Redline is a PAO/Ester. So the manufacturers are embracing the features of real synthetic oil over mineral hydro cracked stuff.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I've always been an Amsoil signature series guy. I have heard alot of great things about Red Line here and on some other forums I've been on. I have no real reason to go away from Amsoil as it's been great to me but I think I'm going to give Red Line a shot next time, at least for my HEMI.

Just note that Amsoil had made a change in their formula that is in the opposit direction of what the boutique oils like redline do.

Not implying anything.

Just stating the facts

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
To be fair it isn't just Amsoil but almost every oil that is trying to meet API ILSAC GF-6 and the previous gov't lower standard 700ppm zinc to meet API. Heavy duty oils and some boutiques stay away from the API donut for that reason, they don't want to ruin what their science says is good oil. Amsoil like others are making oils that are the future of what gas engines will be, DI Turbo's. Maybe or maybe not the best oil for a hemi, for every owner to make thier own choice on that.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just note that Amsoil had made a change in their formula that is in the opposit direction of what the boutique oils like redline do.

Not implying anything.

Just stating the facts

I'm aware that they changed their formula. could you please tell me more about this or let me know where to look. I would like to learn more about this!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The new spec API ILSAC GF-6 calls for low total additives and low calcium, google it. The API lowered zinc levels in order to be certified long ago 20 and 30 weights. The only difference is every api certified oil will have lower additives, m1 has done this long ago, they make up for the lower calcium by adding magnesium because mag doesn't ash the same way. They are trying to minimize ash for DI Turbo's and zinc because the gov't thinks it is bad stuff. They have a one size fits all formula to accommodate the lspi issue, instead of having two lineups that maybe help engines with non lspi issues.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The new spec API ILSAC GF-6 calls for low total additives and low calcium, google it. The API lowered zinc levels in order to be certified long ago 20 and 30 weights. The only difference is every api certified oil will have lower additives, m1 has done this long ago, they make up for the lower calcium by adding magnesium because mag doesn't ash the same way. They are trying to minimize ash for DI Turbo's and zinc because the gov't thinks it is bad stuff. They have a one size fits all formula to accommodate the lspi issue, instead of having two lineups that maybe help engines with non lspi issues.

Thank you for the explanation. I see now. I appreciate you taking the time to write that up:favorites13:

Reactions: U&A