Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Too bad the article doesn’t list which brands that did better and the ones that didn’t.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

According to the website operated by the TOP TIER licensing program, brands that manufacture gasoline to TOP TIER specs include Amoco, BP, Chevron, Citgo, Costco, Exxon, Marathon, Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, Texaco and Valero

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing but Chevron in all my vehicles. Unless i get in a bind out of town, middle of nowhere or something.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to the website operated by the TOP TIER licensing program, brands that manufacture gasoline to TOP TIER specs include Amoco, BP, Chevron, Citgo, Costco, Exxon, Marathon, Mobil, Shell, Sunoco, Texaco and Valero

Yes it list who makes the rating, but they didn’t rate the brands from best to worse.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
W

WWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I spoke to a gas delivery driver a while back and he said all the gas out of the storage facilities are exactly the same and it's the additives they put in that makes the gas unique.....he literally put cans of additives in the tanker compartments before putting it in the underground tanks...

pmckee81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The fords have a funnel for filling out of a fuel can if needed stored by the jack.They've had the cap free design for a while. I have to believe there's something similar for the new rams, but agree that the new style sucks. Who want to find a spot for a smelly funnel in the cab or in the back of the truck.View attachment 197757
We have the same thing. Right on our Jack under the passenger seat. It's white tho!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We have the same thing. Right on our Jack under the passenger seat. It's white tho!

Well there you go. Mine is a 4th gen so still the regular cap, but good to know for the guys who want to put in additives or carry jerry cans with the capless filler neck that the solution is right under their ass.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Sounds like a lot of people probably feed their dog the exact same kibble and nothing else for its existence.

Not everyone drinks High Life or stays at a Holiday Inn either.

pmckee81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use it all the time with my VP fuel cans. I get discounts on gas at giant eagle gas stations because my job has fleet cards for them. I can get up to a dollar off per gallon up to thirty gallons. So gotta have a few extra cans to get all the discount!

OP
OP
W

WWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Refined gasoline plus additives equals gasoline sold at retail pumps. Refined gasoline moves from refineries to gasoline terminals without any additives. It is very common for gasoline trucks at the gasoline terminal to receive the refined gasoline and the additives separately. Each brand of gasoline has its own unique set of additives and is the difference in brands. It is the difference in gasoline with inadequate detergent additives and those that can pass tests of controlling carbon deposits, which get the top tier label.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had an interesting conversation with my neighbor today. He retired after 30 years of working at the gas bulk plant. He was in charge of mixing the fuels. He said in the old days Amoco was the best and cleanest gas and octaine ratings were always spot on. He said now the best gas to buy is actually Cennex gas as there octaine rating is always higher than advertised. this is in Montana going west to Washington and Montana going east (can't remember where he said they pump to) He said Costco gas is supplied by Cennex so even regular costco gas will generally be higher in octaine than what the pump says. He said there is a bigger difference on diesel fuel additives than there is in gasoline additives. His plant mixed for all the companies and said while he always tried to get Cennex gas he would have no problem putting in any gas as even a no name station would have quality gas. I always thought there was just summer and winter blends but he said there is actually 4 different season blends.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But even if you have Cennex base, the additive package is specific to the retailer brand. Those are mixed for the specific delivery and not in the commodity tank.

Unless I'm at a remote location where it's truly a 'one pump town' I run Chevron, Shell, or Costco. I might save a few cents on a different brand, but I've never once had a fuel issue using these brands.

The other consideration is the volume of the retailer. Low volume pumps have the reputation of having water or crud dissolved in their fuel as it spends longer in contact with the tank structure, condensation, etc.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regarding the fuel additive, how in the world are you able to add anything but the fuel nozzle into the opening? Tried to add some Lucas but based on the new filler design, could not add a drop.

Don't know if you read it, the adapter funnel is stored with the Jack under the passenger seat, It's white.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But even if you have Cennex base, the additive package is specific to the retailer brand. Those are mixed for the specific delivery and not in the commodity tank.

Unless I'm at a remote location where it's truly a 'one pump town' I run Chevron, Shell, or Costco. I might save a few cents on a different brand, but I've never once had a fuel issue using these brands.

The other consideration is the volume of the retailer. Low volume pumps have the reputation of having water or crud dissolved in their fuel as it spends longer in contact with the tank structure, condensation, etc.
^^This. Pick a Top Tier brand that is a high volume station and you'll good.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

When I had a custom tune made for my truck I was running Costco gas when I sent him my first data log on how my truck was running. He replied when he sent my first tune that what ever has I was running wasn’t very good. He suggested BP or Shell. I ran the tank low I refilled with Shell gas. When I sent him my next data log he could tell I switched to a better grade of gas from what the numbers my trucks computer was showing in the log. Since then I’ve never considered Costco gas very good.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This falls into the "best oil, best tires, best lift, best brake pad, best tonneau cover" discussions. Thousands of well-meaning opinions. It's just one of those personal preferences.

Amerinamese

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
Costco gas here in SE VA is $1.68 for 87 and $1.98 for 93. Just filled up with 93 Tuesday.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I ran mobil 87/92 for a long time since i knew the station owners. Ran holiday 87 for a long time to since my uncle hauls their fuel. Now ive switched to bp 87 since a childhood friend bought a full service bp station here. Never noticed a difference except the time i ran shell vpower 93. Best my truvk ever ran but no clue why. Not a local station to me either. The shell in my area is 91 octane vpower. Pretty much only choice in my area is bp, shell, holiday, and mobil for top tier

SOL-man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Use Top Tier. I have a Corvette that requires 93 so I used to seek out the cheapest place. My mechanic pulled the heads to do a valve job and he immediately chided me for using cheap gas. There is a gunk that builds up in the heads that rob performance over time. My Corvette had 18,000 miles on it (ok, they were hard miles). After he cleaned up the heads and did the valves, I gained 24 bhp on the dyno. Free flowing heads are the key to more power - the gunk builds up and creates turbulence in the flow. The better gasoline brands put additives in to prevent it. I talked to the tanker driver who was delivering gas the other day. He said that the gasoline itself is the same for every brand but the different stations order their fuel with the additives or not. The tanker pulls up to be filled at what he called "the rack" and takes on the gasoline, then the additives depending on brand. I am definitely a cheap *******, but I don't skimp on fuel anymore.