Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks to me like that Top Tier Gas brands include QT and Costco in addition to almost every major oil company brand. Sam’s club and RaceTrack are missing from the list as well as all grocery store chains. See the following to read the official list:

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
That is a great link. So basically any gas you buy is "Top Tier"..... probably because it is all the same base product coming from the pipeline that serves your region and tankers for different companies put in different additives.

Here in Virginia most comes up the Plantation Pipeline. It carries everything from gasoline to fill the tank farms to jetfuel for the international airports. Kind of interesting how the same pipe carries the different types of fuels.

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/transportation/oilpipeline.html

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My son went to fill my truck today at Kwik Trip station. Kwip Trip is a large regional fuel retail outlet in the Midwest. They always carried only Top Tier Detergent gasolines. Until .............. today, that is.

The station he stopped at removed the Top Tier stickers from all their pumps, so he left and went to a different brand station (Holiday) still displaying Top Tier. Obviously, we only use Top Tier Gasolines in our vehicles. Don't need clogged injector nozzles and gunked intake valves.

The Top Tier website still lists Kwik Trip, but does anyone know if they are dropping them in 2022? I note that BP was once on the Top Tier list and decided to drop it. If so, this is not a good trend for these pricey injected engines.

Everything's been too stable in the world of fuel quality. Time to shake that up too, I guess. *sigh*

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@HEMIMANN

Found this out once the weather got colder up here and my wife's 15 outlander sport check engine light came on for a p0421 code. Mitsubishi has a tsb on it and when we switch to winter blend gas it says the first thing to do is to fill up 3 times with a top tier gas per the tsb.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@HEMIMANN

Found this out once the weather got colder up here and my wife's 15 outlander sport check engine light came on for a p0421 code. Mitsubishi has a tsb on it and when we switch to winter blend gas it says the first thing to do is to fill up 3 times with a top tier gas per the tsb.

Thanks, but please re-read my post. I said the list still shows Kwik Trip.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know but it gives a reason why there's a shortage. I doubt they are going to update it daily what gas stations have top tier and what ones don't. My wife stopped at one kwik trip. No top tier gas. I stopped at a different one the same day 8-10 miles away from the one she stopped at and they had it. Or at least it said they did. The next week the one she stopped at had their signs back up for top tier.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I know but it gives a reason why there's a shortage. I doubt they are going to update it daily what gas stations have top tier and what ones don't. My wife stopped at one kwik trip. No top tier gas. I stopped at a different one the same day 8-10 miles away from the one she stopped at and they had it. Or at least it said they did. The next week the one she stopped at had their signs back up for top tier.

I'll be damned! I didn't read the introductory blather - just perused the list of certified brands. Thank you for pointing this out - much appreciated! I'm pasting the website excerpt below for the cursory viewers.......

"We are navigating through unprecedented times. Disastrous weather conditions and unplanned additive production operational outages have resulted in some of our TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline Fuel Marketers being unable to supply gasoline with the approved detergent at the approved dosage. The TOP TIER™ program is committed to working with its participants and the industry in managing through this in the best way possible and to return to supplying gasoline fully meeting the TOP TIER requirements as soon as possible.

As this shortage is expected to last through the end of the year, you may see some gas stations noting they are unable to supply TOP TIER™ Gasoline at this time. The brand will still be listed on www.toptiergas.com as this will not apply to all stations.

The TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline program, its Automotive OEM Sponsors and its Fuel Marketers remain committed to gasoline quality, minimizing the impact of the shortage and returning to providing gasoline that meets the TOP TIER™ requirements as soon as possible."

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No problem!

The gas station my wife usually stops at since it's the only one between our house and her grandmas, who babysits our daughter, is a cenex which is also listed as a top tier station which I doubt is selling top tier gas. Unless the cat converter is bad in her car. The check engine light comes and goes in her car for that code but only since they started the winter blend gas. So I'm going to wait until spring and see before I drop $800-1200 on the exhaust manifold/cat converter since they're one piece.

Makes a guy wonder though if most "top tier" stations aren't top tier right now.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So we may be paying a premium for top tier fuel and not getting it.

Super.
Thats what I'm thinking. Usually with the winter blend gas prices drop in the winter months but this year from what I remember it's stayed the same. So it kind of feels like a double kick in the kahoonies

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So we may be paying a premium for top tier fuel and not getting it.

Super.
I dont even notice a price difference in my area between top tier and non top tier. Krist (non top tier) is 3.19 same as holiday (top tier) and bp top tier. Mobil is the only one consistently 10 cents more

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only two Top Tier companies that are prevalent around here are Shell and Mobil. Here it's about 10-15 cents more than the non Top Tier stations.

Shell is closer to my house so I usually go there. I wish we had Sunoco closer because I would go there.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Only two Top Tier companies that are prevalent around here are Shell and Mobil. Here it's about 10-15 cents more than the non Top Tier stations.

Shell is closer to my house so I usually go there. I wish we had Sunoco closer because I would go there.

Way back in this or another thread was a study (not the AAA study) rating Shell highest % detergent additization above the Top Tier minimum. I don't know what % is peak effective, but the study thought very highly of Shell, so that's where I try to go. Since then, BP dropped out. The list dropped them too. Around here Top Tier is app. +3 cents a gallon more. Somewhere I read that's about the cost of the extra detergents. Well worth it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I dont even notice a price difference in my area between top tier and non top tier. Krist (non top tier) is 3.19 same as holiday (top tier) and bp top tier. Mobil is the only one consistently 10 cents more

Holiday is Top Tier, Travis. BP is not - they dropped out.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Holiday is Top Tier, Travis. BP is not - they dropped out.
Bp dropped their "invigorate" package? Well i wont be going to amoco anymore either.

Edit: i just checked thanks. Ill be only going to mobil or holiday or shell in my area now.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Way back in this or another thread was a study (not the AAA study) rating Shell highest % detergent additization above the Top Tier minimum. I don't know what % is peak effective, but the study thought very highly of Shell, so that's where I try to go. Since then, BP dropped out. The list dropped them too. Around here Top Tier is app. +3 cents a gallon more. Somewhere I read that's about the cost of the extra detergents. Well worth it.
There are Shells all over the place out here, there are maybe 5 Shell stations and another 5 mobile and chevron.

Do you like Shell over Mobile or Chevron if you ever used Chevron? I have been told Shell is better than Chevron?