Towing advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osky1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hello All,
I own a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7L V8 2 door short bed. I will be towing my SUV Mercedes W460 25GD (G wagon) from Fort Riley KS to Colorado Springs. The G wagon is a 4 wheel SUV, the specs for curb weight is 4255lbs. I don't have a hitch installed yet but looking to go to the junk yard to buy one off another 1500. Is there anything I need to take into consideration when buying a tow hitch from another ram 1500 from the junk yard? Anything I need to let the junkyard employee know when I pay him to pull one off for me?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You should get a Class IV hitch if you can. Most, if not all, 2500's and a few 1500's came standard with that class hitch.

How much does your trailer weigh? Or are you doing to flat tow? Use a cradle?

You'll need to be careful with sway plus tongue weight. The total weight of the trailer + the GWagen needs to be known in order to figure your tongue weight, which will be about 15% of that total.

There is a good How To here on calcuating your total weight:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

Also, try to get 60% of your total GWagen + trailer weight just slighty ahead of the trailer axles.

Don't be this guy...

tongue-weight-2.jpg

OP
OP
osky1976

osky1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Can a 2500 factory tow hitch fit an 2002 Ram 1500? I will be pulling a flat bed. Unknown how much trailer weights, its gonna be the U-haul flat bed trailer.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can get the weights of those trailers online at UHaul's website.

Not sure on the 2500 Class IV fitting a 1500. Haven't done the swap but a little measuring of your frame rails where the hitch bolts to and comparing that with the same spots on a 2500 will tell you if it fits or not.

OP
OP
osky1976

osky1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
the factory hitches on the Ram 1500 are they class IV? what am i buying by asking for a factory tow hitch from the junkyard? I saw a few 1500's at the junk yard, will they all fit? are they different classes when its factory?

OP
OP
osky1976

osky1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
the factory hitches on the Ram 1500 are they class IV? what am i buying by asking for a factory tow hitch from the junkyard? I saw a few 1500's at the junk yard, will they all fit? are they different classes when its factory?

Capacity of U-haul flat bed trailer

• Max load: 5,290 lbs.
  • Gross vehicle weight: 7,500 lbs. max.
  • Empty weight: 2,210 lbs.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
U-haul trailer will do just fine, that Merc weighs about as much as a Magnum...you definitely want the better hitch though. Also be prepared to stay out of OD and burn alot of gas lol. That poor 4.7 ain't gonna like it.

received_10154631234938262_zpsma2erje1.JPEG

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yep. The 4.7 will be running hard towing that. I had a 2007 with a 4.7 and 3.92's and towed a 14x7 enclosed trailer weighing about 3500-4000lbs loaded and it stayed in 3rd gear at about 3500 RPM the whole 4 hour trip to Indy. I had more wind resistance with an enclosed trailer than you will have but had much less weight too.

Also, make sure you have trailer brakes on your truck. And be careful getting a hitch from the boneyard. Make sure it isn't all rusted out

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is there anything I need to take into consideration when buying a tow hitch from another ram 1500 from the junk yard? Anything I need to let the junkyard employee know when I pay him to pull one off for me?
Find out how much the salvage yard will want for the hitch, also check U-Haul about hitch requirement(most likely a Class IV) along with cost to install a receiver. It might not be worth buying a used one as a new one probably $200 or less. Your going to have almost 7K lbs behind the truck, a substandard receiver is the last thing you want.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Find out how much the salvage yard will want for the hitch, also check U-Haul about hitch requirement(most likely a Class IV) along with cost to install a receiver. It might not be worth buying a used one as a new one probably $200 or less. Your going to have almost 7K lbs behind the truck, a substandard receiver is the last thing you want.
Agree 100% but sounds like he wants to keep costs down. But I did mention to pay attention to the condition of a used hitch. To me it isn't worth installing a used hitch but if it's what you have to do then...

OP
OP
osky1976

osky1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Yep. The 4.7 will be running hard towing that. I had a 2007 with a 4.7 and 3.92's and towed a 14x7 enclosed trailer weighing about 3500-4000lbs loaded and it stayed in 3rd gear at about 3500 RPM the whole 4 hour trip to Indy. I had more wind resistance with an enclosed trailer than you will have but had much less weight too.

Also, make sure you have trailer brakes on your truck. And be careful getting a hitch from the boneyard. Make sure it isn't all rusted out

Ok, I'm going with your advice, I purchased a new hitch by Curt 14020
notes:
2" Receiver. 10000 lb Gross Trailer Weight; 1000 lb Tongue Weight; 12000 lbs. Weight Distributing; 1200 lbs. Weight Distributing Tongue Weight. Install Time 30 Minutes. Drilling Not Required. Main Hitch Body Exposed. Rear. 6' 6" bed length (78 in)

please elaborate on the trailer brakes?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
please elaborate on the trailer brakes?

If your renting U-Haul auto transport trailer, it should have automatic surge brakes so you won't need a brake controller in the truck. You can verify that with U-Haul.
You will need a four-flat trailer light plug on the truck.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
bascially, there are two kinds of Trailer braking systems.
SURGE BRAKES detect that you are slwing down, as the weight of the trailer pushes into the trailer tongue, and hydrolic nbraking is done on the trailer. The trucks braking system has no control or input. Its all done automaticall by the trailers brake system

Truck Brake COntroller is a brake system that is mounted in your truck, requires a 9 prong plug in vs 4 or 5 prong plug and this allows you, the driver, as you go down the road to manually apply the trailers the traler brakes or to adjust and set the brake controller to whatever level of braking you desire from the trailer whenever you engage your trucks brakes.

Generall speaking, you want to adjust the truck Brake Controller to feel some pull back, from the trailer when braking so oru truck brakes are not doing all of the work. Zbut not too much as you do not wish to heat up the trailers brakes either, ti is a fine balance but easily done by anyoen with experience.

Hope this helps.

Surge brake,s, automatic and on the trailer no extra needed to be isntalled

Truck BRake COntroller, activates trailer brakes, from teh truck,. Can be doen manualy or automatically whenever teh trucks brakes are applied and is a seperate peice installed usuall jusst under truck dash and seasily accessable for adjutment.

OP
OP
osky1976

osky1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So I had Auto zone order my hitch and now I'm being told its on back order, I got my refund and went to O'Reilly's and they ordered me one. It came in Yesterday and the hitch did not align with my frame. They ordered another and the thing is massive. looks like for a one ton truck. They ordered another should be here tomorrow and I'm hoping that one will be the one.
let me know what heavy duty hitch you guys have installed for your 3rd gen Ram. I have a 2002 with the rear tubular bumper. I'm sure the tubular part will have to go to mount the undercarriage hitch