Towing with a 2500 Hemi 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob30

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am in the process of picking up a 26ft travel trailer, weighing around 5500lbs empty I believe. I am wondering what kind of fuel mileage you guys are getting while towing. I am not expecting great numbers since my truck has poor gas mileage empty. Most of my trips will be short, but I was hoping to do a couple trips out west, but I am not sure it will be economically worth it with this trailer.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are a lot of threads that talk about MPG, both with and without towing trailers if you search with key words you will find the. While you'll get some information from others here, your results are going to be your results and there's no real way to know that whatever anybody else tells you is going to be what you realize. Mileage is a very unique to the vehicle occurrence. Not sure what you mean by being worth it, if you're worried about MPG being high enough to go on a trip you're probably not going to be happy no matter what happens because you will more than likely be in the single digits especially as you hit mountains. Other people have posted it's not miles per gallon, but smiles per gallon that really count. Good luck

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am in the process of picking up a 26ft travel trailer, weighing around 5500lbs empty I believe. I am wondering what kind of fuel mileage you guys are getting while towing. I am not expecting great numbers since my truck has poor gas mileage empty. Most of my trips will be short, but I was hoping to do a couple trips out west, but I am not sure it will be economically worth it with this trailer.

There is so much that goes into mileage that everything you get will likely be an opinion or an average, and yours will vary.

Things that go into mileage: driving style, weight of trailer + gear, aerodynamics of the trailer (usually that of a large brick), gear ratio & transmission of the truck, traffic, elevation, fuel used, engine, weight of gear in the truck, etc. etc. etc.

What you're probably going to hear for mileage while towing with a 5.7 in a 2500: Anywhere from 5-10 mpg. 5 means you're likely overloaded or driving too fast, 10 means you are driving pretty slow with a light load.

The biggest issue with anyone on here being able to help you out is you didn't really give us much in the way of info - sure you gave us plenty for the trailer empty, but how much will your gear weigh? You've got a 5.7 Hemi, and that will not get good mileage pulling, though it will do it just fine depending on what gear ratio you have in the rear axle - it could be anywhere from a 3.55 to a 4:10 from the factory.

I'm not telling you all this to be mean or ridicule you. I'm telling you all this because we on the forums (for the most part) really do want to help you, but you have to give us quite a bit more information than you did.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nothing with RV’s is economical. You are paying for the experience.

I get 7mpg and I have yet to add a 2,000lb SxS to my load that I plan on doing once prices become realistic.
I’m sure I will be knocking on the 5mpg club.

My trip from SoCal to Zion was over $500 in fuel. But my family had a great time. So who cares.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
just for the OP as a point of reference, my 1500 5.7 gets 9-10mpg. normal avg driving around town for work and such, is 14-16mpg. Yup, pretty much stop ever 2hr for fuel when we are traveling.

What do they say... my truck will pass everything on the road, except for a gas station.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get 8-10mpg towing a similar size(slightly smaller) trailer. I don't think you'll see much worse with a 2500 based on what others have posted before.

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
21 foot Bigfoot about 7k wet. 2500 regular cab tradesmen, 4x4, 4.10, 6.4 hemi, 6 speed. Bone stock and consistently get 11 - 11.5 mpg but I must add rarely do I drive over 60 mph. My trailer tires are rated at 65 mph but I'm in no hurry. For me it's the trip not always the destination.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It will depend on the terrain mostly but weather conditions can have a factor such as wind during your trip. It’s pretty much a guessing game but anywhere between 8-11 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk