What motor oil and oil filter do you use and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My great grandmother learned about herbs and such for healing from the indians in the later half of the 19th century.Modern meds are some of the same stuff,only it is purified to pharmaceutical grade and standards.Take the tender bark from the tender peachtree limbs and boil it good for peachtree tea.Drink it and it cures kidney infection.Modern folks worry too much about toxicity.But in the old days we were tough....and had common sense. 'murica

I went to a Traditional Chinese Herbalist when all the meds I was on for congestive heart failure were causing horrible side effects and was costing north of 1400 per month. She put me on Fu Fang Dan Shen Wan... for the heart. Cost 15 bucks a month and relieved all symptoms better than western meds. That was over 2 years ago. My regular doctor gasps in amazement when he listens to my lungs/heart since then. He says things sound much improved. I feel much better too.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that what it's really called? Lol

"Dan Shen" is the short version. When I had my reconstruction shoulder surgery last August (completely torn rotator cuff), the anesthesia dude walks into my room, reading my med info and asked "What is Dan Shen"? This dude was snide and arrogant. I told him to google it. ******** goes out to the waiting room to tell my wife "We sure hope he doesn't bleed out in surgery".....My wife had to be sedated, she got so upset. I hate western medicine because they think their **** don't stink. The Chinese have been in the medical profession 2000 years longer than we have. Neither medicine practice is the end all answer to health issues and, truthfully, no amount of accupuncture was going to re-attach my supraspinatus muscle to my humerus bone. They both have high and low aspects.

For me, the vast improvement in my EF ratio in my heart due to Dan Shen is nothing short of remarkable. My western medicine doctor is respectful of my "otherwise" treatment, and is impressed with my improvement, but does roll his eyes. I was actually referred to this Chinese Doc by my wife's doctor! Go figure!

BTW: Shoulder surgery is not for wimps. The pain in rehab is excruciating!

OP
OP
big daddys house

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This might sound like a really stupid question. lol..... but I'm going to do that oil change this weekend and it dawned on me, is there a better spot to put the magnet than on the side of the oil filter?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This might sound like a really stupid question. lol..... but I'm going to do that oil change this weekend and it dawned on me, is there a better spot to put the magnet than on the side of the oil filter?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

It's not a small point, should we even be using magnets? After all it not only gathers metal but it magnetizes it, thus gathering the metal together, right near a spot where sometimes at start up the filter can go into bypass thus knocking the gathered metal off in a clump and sending into the engine. I ran mag's this time just because I want an idea of how much my hemi is shaving metal, but I'm not sure I want to do this as a rule. Something to discuss for sure

The option is not have a magnet, which means most of the metal will be trapped safely in filter, and other small particulate metal will be rolling around but not in a potential clump.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's not a small point, should we even be using magnets? After all it not only gathers metal but it magnetizes it, thus gathering the metal together, right near a spot where sometimes at start up the filter can go into bypass thus knocking the gathered metal off in a clump and sending into the engine. I ran mag's this time just because I want an idea of how much my hemi is shaving metal, but I'm not sure I want to do this as a rule. Something to discuss for sure

The option is not have a magnet, which means most of the metal will be trapped safely in filter, and other small particulate metal will be rolling around but not in a potential clump.
At least if it's on the filter the metal will be disposed of at the filter change. Also, aren't drain plugs magnetic still? They, at least some, were to catch the metal

Josephc1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have always run Walmart superTech 15/40 HD Diesel oil with mopar filter in my '14 6.7 Cummins. Oil meats Cummins specs. 72+k miles and so far all is well.

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run pennzoil PUP 5W-20 with a Mopar filter. No issues granted it only has 37,000 miles on the odometer.

2019 5.7L bighorn classic 1500.

I change the oil ever 5000-6000 miles.

would I benefit going from pennzoil PUP 5W-20 to redline 5W-20 and a better filter?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I run pennzoil PUP 5W-20 with a Mopar filter. No issues granted it only has 37,000 miles on the odometer.

would I benefit going from pennzoil PUP 5W-20 to redline 5W-20 and a better filter?

imho, there is no correct answer to your question. If your engine is running well, smooth and quite as in no Hemi tick, why change ? I subscribe to the school of thought, that if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. Btw, I use pup 5-20 at the same Oci. I use a fram ultra oil filter and my truck is doing well.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

You can just add lubegard biotech to your oil which is the same science as redline but cheaper. Whatever you choose, like hunter says if it aint broke don't fix it. Now, if you get hemi tick then redline is the answer.

Wilmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the "Hemi tick" only on cold startups for a few seconds.
It used to be worse, I had 2 broken manifold bolts and it ticked all the time. I have since replaced all the exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets, now only ticks on startup.
I use Mobil 1 5w-20 Full Synthetic High Mileage and Mobil 1 Extended Life Oil filter. Both of which I get from Walmart. I'm over 75k miles. I change my oil every 10k miles (mostly highway miles).
Sometimes I tow a 20ft travel trailer. Other times I have payloads up to 2,400 lbs (thanks to AirLift 1000HD, only a 3 inch drop @48psi)
I think on YouTube there is a video of oil filter comparisons. I recall the Mobil 1 oil filters appear identical to K&N oil filters, on the internals. This is a crosscut section of the oil filters, cut with a bandsaw.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have the "Hemi tick" only on cold startups for a few seconds.
It used to be worse, I had 2 broken manifold bolts and it ticked all the time. I have since replaced all the exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets, now only ticks on startup.
I use Mobil 1 5w-20 Full Synthetic High Mileage and Mobil 1 Extended Life Oil filter. Both of which I get from Walmart. I'm over 75k miles. I change my oil every 10k miles (mostly highway miles).
Sometimes I tow a 20ft travel trailer. Other times I have payloads up to 2,400 lbs (thanks to AirLift 1000HD, only a 3 inch drop @48psi)
I think on YouTube there is a video of oil filter comparisons. I recall the Mobil 1 oil filters appear identical to K&N oil filters, on the internals. This is a crosscut section of the oil filters, cut with a bandsaw.

m1 filters are blended synthetic media, k&n are paper. You might want to read the oil filter thread in my sig, some good info.

And just yesterday we had another hemi tick at start up killed with redline oil. You might want to try and dump a bottle of lubegard biotech in that m1, see if cold tick goes away. I see you are new to forum, welcome. Here are some threads that would interest your condition, read the ram forum members experiences and see the oils.

Redline tick thread

Lubegard tick thread

Lubegard versus mos2

oil filter thread

The science behind the products is solid, the info continuing to come in is landmark, and the results speak for themselves. These are ram forum exclusives that are backed up by 100's of ram owners over the last decade. trust me you could not build a coalition like this overnight.

First you have to get hemi's that tick, then you have to get ram owners to trust the message, then try the products and review them and contribute to knowledge base. It is not something that could have been done in even one year with the numbers we had here, it is a decades worth of work. Sadly we didnt have the polls up earlier, that is my bad, we lost maybe 1/2 or more of the results. We have been keeping track, redline has been about a 80% success rate generally speaking, lubegard is a newer option for a lubrication strategy and the results are almost as equally promising.

Bottom line, don't think that tick is normal or you cant do anything about it, until at a minimum you dump a 6 dollar bottle of oil soluble ester/moly. good day, Burla

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can just add lubegard biotech to your oil which is the same science as redline but cheaper. Whatever you choose, like hunter says if it aint broke don't fix it. Now, if you get hemi tick then redline is the answer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Burla a lot more educated on Oil and Filters than this Boird. I have Dealer put Full 5W -20 and running Mopar Filter, since done at Dealership (my free ones).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Burla a lot more educated on Oil and Filters than this Boird. I have Dealer put Full 5W -20 and running Mopar Filter, since done at Dealership (my free ones).

but what you might lack in oil knowledge you make up for in good looks...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
but what you might lack in oil knowledge you make up for in good looks...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yessum, the Red Beast looks pretty when cleaned up. So does Momma's mare and my doggies. I avoid all contact with mirrors or any AMC show specials, LMAO....

trkwash.jpg Jesse cut down.jpg Picture 015.jpg IMG_0059.JPG

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nice family TB!

You are blessed.