Why are there so few 6’4 long beds out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 6'4" is only 8" longer than the extra short box and only 4" longer than the 5th gen with the extra short box

TA462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 15 longhorn crew has the 6.4 bed and 3.21's. I searched high and low for nearly 2 years for a 17/18 sport crew with the 6.4 bed, 3.92's white, blue streak or flame red and leather. it was near impossible. I settled on and decided to keep the longhorn only because I couldn't find what I wanted in a sport and it has super low km (miles lol). the issue where I am in Ontario Canada is that dealers don't order them that way. if they don't order them that way, no discounts. no way in hell I was paying near full msrp on a special ordered truck. many western province dealers (british columbia and alberta) order them like that but the shipping nulls the discounts.
even recently, I've tried finding a clear out deal on a 19 with the same config (sport models are still available in Canada) ... hens teeth :(
TRUCK4_zpseh2patqv.png
I bought a Red 2018 Sport Night Edition just like you described. It had a lot more options than I wanted but it was the only way I could at least get the options I wanted.

bruce allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the 6.4 also and love the extra bed, but then noted a DT with the Crew Cab and 6.4 bed. It might be the replacement for my 14 MY

Shawn1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Late to the party on this thread but what are the main differences between the 2 trucks besides overall box length? Like I have the 5.7 box on my 2012, could I get a 6.4 and bolt it on?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Late to the party on this thread but what are the main differences between the 2 trucks besides overall box length? Like I have the 5.7 box on my 2012, could I get a 6.4 and bolt it on?

The 6.4' bed would not fit on your '12 that has a 5.7' as the distance from the wheelwell to the cab of the truck is longer by 9". You would have to swap your CrewCab to a QuadCab or do a frame swap to the longer 149" wheelbase frame to put a 6.4' bed on your truck.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I don’t know what would be the cheapest route if you absolutely had to have one but I’m sure you could take your truck to a limo/frame shop and have your frame extended like they do for the Mega Cab guys who just have to have an 8-foot bed. 35a348ba65ccc6accb3160ede293fcdf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shawn1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t know what would be the cheapest route if you absolutely had to have one but I’m sure you could take your truck to a limo/frame shop and have your frame extended like they do for the Mega Cab guys who just have to have an 8-foot bed. 35a348ba65ccc6accb3160ede293fcdf.jpg

Don't plan on changing it, just curious.

slag009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
5'7" bed you cant fit a 6 foot ladder in without it sticking out for those who work out of our trucks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My opinion is in general everyone wants the 5 7 bed on the crew
and consequently the LB doesn't sell as well...My laramie has the 6 4 bed
dealer had it on his lot for over 2 months and may have discounted it because of that. They DO ride better. laramielb1.jpg

laramielb2.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My opinion is in general everyone wants the 5 7 bed on the crew
and consequently the LB doesn't sell as well...My laramie has the 6 4 bed
dealer had it on his lot for over 2 months and may have discounted it because of that. They DO ride better. View attachment 181820

View attachment 181821

The shorter bed is more popular. At one point I considered the longer bed when I bought mine but I couldn’t find one in a Limited that was close by enough to drive to and test drive.

I don’t regret it. This short bed on mine is long enough....lol.

Last edited:

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
To get a full crew cab with any pickup one is limited to a short bed. To get a full size 8' bed one has to get the regular cab. A standard 6 foot plus bed is the smallest that I want in a pickup. Makes it easy to drop the tailgate and load on 4x8 sheets of material and dimensional lumber. People who like to load ATV's into the bed of the pickup so they can also pull a travel trailer are also fans of longer beds.

Wheelbase is also affected and the turning radius of the truck. I wanted as short a wheelbase as possible with a heavy duty pickup and so opted for a double cab with a standard bed. Whether towing, hauling a slide in camper, or navigating forest service roadss in the boondocks it is great not to have to back up to complete a turn.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To get a full crew cab with any pickup one is limited to a short bed. To get a full size 8' bed one has to get the regular cab. A standard 6 foot plus bed is the smallest that I want in a pickup. Makes it easy to drop the tailgate and load on 4x8 sheets of material and dimensional lumber. People who like to load ATV's into the bed of the pickup so they can also pull a travel trailer are also fans of longer beds.

Wheelbase is also affected and the turning radius of the truck. I wanted as short a wheelbase as possible with a heavy duty pickup and so opted for a double cab with a standard bed. Whether towing, hauling a slide in camper, or navigating forest service roadss in the boondocks it is great not to have to back up to complete a turn.

No matter how you slice it, the 6-4 bed is still the long bed for crew cabs in the half-tons.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I would have gone with a mega cab and ordered one with a manual transfer case but didn't like that I couldn't get the 6'4 bed. Personally I'd have loved a mega cab with an 8 foot bed just because. If I had gone the mega cab route I'd have ordered one as close to a power wagon as possible and added the winch. But I didn't wanna wait 3 months lol.

The other thing I'd have preferred in the mega cab is being able to put the subs behind the rear seats. I don't like giving up the folding flat floor, but I have ram boxes and a bed so I'll live. I just wish they made a power wagon version as a mega cab with a 6'4 bed and I'd have been in heaven.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have gone with a mega cab and ordered one with a manual transfer case but didn't like that I couldn't get the 6'4 bed. Personally I'd have loved a mega cab with an 8 foot bed just because. If I had gone the mega cab route I'd have ordered one as close to a power wagon as possible and added the winch. But I didn't wanna wait 3 months lol.

The other thing I'd have preferred in the mega cab is being able to put the subs behind the rear seats. I don't like giving up the folding flat floor, but I have ram boxes and a bed so I'll live. I just wish they made a power wagon version as a mega cab with a 6'4 bed and I'd have been in heaven.

Soooo... since you can... and always have been able for quite some time to get a 2500 mega with the 6-4, are you just talking about the lack of mega cab option in the power wagon? If so, the PW is engineered as an off-road machine. Thats why it doesn’t come with the heavy duty suspension as a regular 3/4-ton, why it doesn’t come with a Cummins, or any larger of a cab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Soooo... since you can... and always have been able for quite some time to get a 2500 mega with the 6-4, are you just talking about the lack of mega cab option in the power wagon? If so, the PW is engineered as an off-road machine. Thats why it doesn’t come with the heavy duty suspension as a regular 3/4-ton, why it doesn’t come with a Cummins, or any larger of a cab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I thought it was shorter than 6'4. Oh well. As for no Cummins, an interview in one of the vehicle magazines (I don't remember which one), stated that they didn't offer a Cummins cause the winch was in the way of the intercooler and they also didn't think anyone would go for the almost 9k option for a Cummins.

And if your already offroading with a full size then why not add an extra foot?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought it was shorter than 6'4. Oh well.
The 5-7 bed is only a 1500 thing.

As for no Cummins, an interview in one of the vehicle magazines (I don't remember which one), stated that they didn't offer a Cummins cause the winch was in the way of the intercooler...
Yeah, that too. The PW is known for that winch. And in order to maintain as close as they can to crash ratings and such, they have to use that factory front bumper and in order to do that, the incooler would have to use the same real estate as the winch.

...and they also didn't think anyone would go for the almost 9k option for a Cummins.
Well, no. And they also thought the the Hemi would be better for off-road capabilities as well since it weighs dang-near half as much as that big ole Cummins does. And not to mention, the PW doesn’t have the same heavy duty suspension as the regular 2500 so it’s pointless to even add it as an option since it weighs so much and it would further reduce the already low payload. Not to mention, the front suspension probably wouldn’t even properly support it anyways.

And if your already offroading with a full size then why not add an extra foot?

I hear ya, but sometimes that extra foot could hinder it’s capabilities.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
The 5-7 bed is only a 1500 thing.

Yeah, that too. The PW is known for that winch. And in order to maintain as close as they can to crash ratings and such, they have to use that factory front bumper and in order to do that, the incooler would have to use the same real estate as the winch.

Well, no. And they also thought the the Hemi would be better for off-road capabilities as well since it weighs dang-near half as much as that big ole Cummins does. And not to mention, the PW doesn’t have the same heavy duty suspension as the regular 2500 so it’s pointless to even add it as an option since it weighs so much and it would further reduce the already low payload. Not to mention, the front suspension probably wouldn’t even properly support it anyways.

I hear ya, but sometimes that extra foot could hinder it’s capabilities.

Personally I'd rather the heavier payload in a power wagon. But I love the hemi. I wouldn't want a new diesel with all the extra emissions and def anyways. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the power wagon as is. But when you like having 2 12's in your truck it sucks when you lose the under seat storage.

At some point I'm going to relocate the amp and dsp to behind the rear seats with the 4 channel amp, but I don't wanna deal with wire extending lol.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I'd rather the heavier payload in a power wagon. But I love the hemi. I wouldn't want a new diesel with all the extra emissions and def anyways. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the power wagon as is. But when you like having 2 12's in your truck it sucks when you lose the under seat storage.

At some point I'm going to relocate the amp and dsp to behind the rear seats with the 4 channel amp, but I don't wanna deal with wire extending lol.

Well as I was saying, that’s one of the many reasons why a PW will probably never come with a diesel.

But if you’re interested in getting your bass and not having to sacrifice your fold-out floor, get with @BWL. He’s got a thread on here somewhere where he successfully raised his rear seat just enough to clear one of those JL Audio Stealthboxes.

HockeyPops

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s a great question. I think it comes down to needs. All is need is a short bed. But the long bed looks better.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well as I was saying, that’s one of the many reasons why a PW will probably never come with a diesel.

But if you’re interested in getting your bass and not having to sacrifice your fold-out floor, get with @BWL. He’s got a thread on here somewhere where he successfully raised his rear seat just enough to clear one of those JL Audio Stealthboxes.

I have a fox acustics box with 2 12" crossfire's. The stealth box isn't bad, but this box offers the most room50f4a41a5accd61973624ed3791f4162.jpg