02 2500 Cummins build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
alright. well here is an update, tried getting my axle together saturday, got the bearing, but the only place i could get them pressed on was les schwab, who i don't like. but i figured, well, its simple, how can you mess it up??? they pressed the outer race and the bearing fell apart once i got home. $^$^$#^*$$ and sunday, couldn't get a bearing pressed on, so yesterday after work i picked up a bearing, had it pressed on, and FINALLY got my rear axle together. I ended up getting the only oil that o'reily's had for my axles...turned out its royal purple for $20 a quart, alright! 5 quarts later, got oil in my diff. but, truck is running, test drive is today, on my way to work....should be perfect, and than this weekend start the manual conversion....

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Glad to hear everything is working man! Can't wait to see this manual conversion happen! Love how the truck is turning out

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks man! I just wish i could be the one deciding when to do something instead of my truck deciding. Lol

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
so, small update. truck is working great! besides of course the POS 47RE....definitely more traction with the locker out back than with the posi. catches quicker and it seems like its better at keeping traction at the tires, whereas the old posi set up, i would roast my tires if i corner it and gun it alot easier than i can now. although i haven't really pushed it to hard, still breaking it in.

As to the manual conversion, i am trying to find the time, between work, and my hand, and other commitments, i haven't had a chance to start. I'm lining up vehicle to use while my truck is out of commission, once that is done, than i will begin. I hate knowing i have everything sitting in my shop on a pallet, and i haven't even unwrapped it...

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah, definitely pricey. and since my grill is covered up by my bumper, i wouldn't pick it up. they look great tho...

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ive got the old one out. Was messing with the pedals most of sunday. Since the pedals were out of a 3rd gen, they are taking some redneck engineering to make work. Got an idea on what ill be doing if it works out. Ive got the flywheel and clutch bolted in, i need to finish taking out the tranny coolant lines and some more shifter linkage from the auto. Once i get that done and the pedals in, its master and ***** cylinder and putting the manual in. Already have the hole cut in the floor, than after that its wiring. Hopefully have all that done this weekend than throw it on a trailer and get some drivelines made up and see if i need to reflash the bcm. So hopefully driving it within 2 weeks.

Also, anyone considering doing this, if u have any doubt in your ability, dont do even start. Lol. Im not worried about my ability, but not something i would recommend to someone unless they also know what they are doing. Lol

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
slight update, hoping to driving this week. will get some pics soon, the tranny was a royal pain to get in, the NP271 wasn't as nice as it could have been either. but, they are in. still need to get the drivelines machined, tcase linkage installed, and some easy wiring done. after that, she will be going out onto a drive test! pics soon!

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
lol, i've been seeing it alot lately but haven't been driving it. lol its been killing me driving whatever i can get my hands on. lol

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hope you get your beast up and running soon. getting some new shocks prolly come the 15th and then some new torsion keys.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah, thats whats bolted in, out of an 03 CTD from a wrecker. i was talking to the guy who owned the truck, and in the middle of our talks he decided to just sell the truck to a wrecker instead of parting it out, so i paid alot more than i wanted to, but only one i could find within a multiple state radius.

Davy, i have the tools you need to do the torsion keys. And after doing my buddies, they are a PITA without air and air chisel, or a punch and a big hammer. and without a 5 ton 2 jaw puller, they are outright dangerous....lol

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I thought so, not sure if you've driven another truck with this trans but in your test drive, if it makes a clunk/grinding noise a you pull out its perfectly normal haha

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
good to know, i have heard alot of these 5600s shift better without using the clutch if you know where to shift it at. which i think i'll be able to figure out after my "make sure everything is working right week" goes by

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The trucks aren't the best examples as they are pretty well beat but none of my buddies use there clutch and all have problems lol
(all their clutch are burnt out from turning up their tuners to much)

With 165k of using the clutch with out a single problem an even the stock clutch I'm gonna keep using it
Other trucks I typically don't

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
yeah, i know the company work truck (99 f350) with a zf6 shifts the same with or without the clutch as long as you pay attention to your split and get it right or pretty close, she falls right in.

OP
OP
loki223

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
so, couple things, 3rd gen pedals can be made to look like they will work, but won't. in case anyone is wondering. lol. through redneck engineering and a piece of a flashlight we got 'em to work, but the pedal didn't line up with brake light switch. but conveniently someone started parting out a 2nd gen manual just over an hour drive away today. so i ran out and got his pedals. almost have them completely in, but need some smaller hands to get 'em the rest of the way. should have that taken care of tomorrow. another $70 worth of oil for my tranny and tcase. they are now running fresh oil. 99% of the wiring is done. and i need to figure something out for my tcase linkage, needs to get extended a bit...but enough talk. here is a couple teasers....

2012-11-14_16-45-33_621.jpg
2012-11-14_16-47-31_734.jpg
2012-11-14_16-46-54_487.jpg
2012-11-14_16-46-46_637.jpg
2012-11-14_16-46-39_513.jpg