37" MTs with which gear, 4.88 or 5.13?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
WY.Ram, I can't see anyone doing the 65 mph maximum for the break-in, when our Colorado speed limit is 75 mph on I-25 on most of the stretch between Denver and Colorado Springs. The majority of cars are doing in excess of 85 mph between Castle Rock and Monument. Going 65 mph really sounds a bit unsafe. It would require some quick universal one finger sign language of any driver coming up behind your Power Wagon for impeding the flow of traffic.

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
WY.Ram, I can't see anyone doing the 65 mph maximum for the break-in, when our Colorado speed limit is 75 mph on I-25 on most of the stretch between Denver and Colorado Springs. The majority of cars are doing in excess of 85 mph between Castle Rock and Monument. Going 65 mph really sounds a bit unsafe. It would.require some quick universal one finger sign language of any driver coming up behind your Power Wagon for impeding the flow of traffic.

I’d just put my big ass WD hitch on and see who won, LoL

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper Stt MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 5W-30
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ya know it's been a long week when I feel like starting every post with a swear word. Sorry to have been so long again, Ive been at work for almost entire time since last post here. Wow, just looked and it was Wednesday at 10pm. No wonder I feel like I do. Somebody should turn my employer into workforce services. What a puthie, I need to quit whining.

First things: Part number for the 5.13 gear set, 9.25 front differential, 2500 RAM 2016 is #40136007.

Next:
Best way to deal with this pent up feeling is to go do it instead of me keep talking about it. So, as is stated:
must post pics or a video - otherwise it never happened. LOL.. please - forego the video and break in the gears properly; I hate to see good money wasted.

I will bring the presentation to RamF, I do appreciate the words of caution and care for Ursula, but her and I already violated that break-in protocol in less then . I feel like the break in period should be all wrapped up and behind me. It's been over 4 days, that counts. Actually my biggest concern is breaking some component driveline or brake system because of how hard the disc breaks grab on. I stand on the brake and I stand on the skinny and if the wheels don't break loose immediately, the truck stands like 4 inches taller and two powerful systems just fight it out.

Wtih that, What are the rules for burnout, legit and ethical? I'm thinking if it doesn't tear one off immediately as fitted, I can drop the full size spare, maybe the tailgate, and maybe the a canister out of the bed. That all has to be close to 350lbs right above the rear axle. Sounds like work tho.

I am not doing any drifting or cookies either, at least not until my initial goal is met. A Standing power burnout under full throttle control up to redline if I want. I have two extra tires I can switch to after I smoke these off but they are 200+ miles away so I gotta save a little. I do hope rubber conservation becomes the issue and not how to get those sticky MT's to spin.

Any rules, I don't need the obvious like nuetral drop is dumb, no worries. Im thinking I might take the back calipers off and just let them hang on the axle, I really don't want to break a motor mount or worse because of two conflicts of interest battling over the right o way.

@AFMoulton and @Grand Mesa - So true about I25 and 65mph, aint no way.Here is how it actually went down when I left 64th St and headed out. It was 5pm and I knew it was going to be dicey. ... nope I gotta go do this but I will tell the story later, its not a flattering one for me but it speaks well of the strength and reliability of a RAM, AAM, CO Gear an Axle, but not me. Now in my defense - this 'thing' going on in Colorado on the Eastern Slope, specifically I-25 from near the Wyoming border all the way south past Denver, Castle, and to the Springs is not normal. Not for anywhere Ive ever been. Im sure there are other areas where the driving attitudes are just deteriorated into the toilet and rather aggressive driving coupled with I've had enough of your **** is turning the main arterial infrastructure on the Eastern slope into a wild wild spectator / player sport, with deadly consequences. It is out of control and no agency is policing anything 90% of the time. If you aren't moving 20 to 25 over the limit you better be real good at driving out your rearview because ....... its outta control. God I love my 8500 lb HD with side impacts and steel reinforced closers and......5.13 ring and pinion.

Friday night, this college town is move'n and Im gonna go troll for suckers, fords and what else is there? I swear there are more, cant even think of their name. I'm just play'n, mostly. Run'n gums, Peace and I really hope to bring the goods even if I gotta hang out the window and half ass record solo style.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yo @AFMoulton, @bmhenry and @Grand Mesa
Aight y'all, I know you said pic or vid and technically it's a vid but it was dark cause I was twitchy. Black as it maybe, I think the audio portion will serve the purpose that it happened.

Here are the specs bothers:
2016 Ram 2500,
6.4 L, 6 Speed, LSD, disc brakes, 59k mi
7220 feet above sea level
35" Mickey Thompson MTs worn to 33.75, slicks,

Redline everywhere (including on the tach and in all the right placeS)

CAI, ARH long tubes with custom pipe to the back axle, Crappy ass magna flow 22" soon to be delete. Unlocked, T2 with Hemifever Software.

Full sized spare and everything else intact as an off road beast. Nothing removed from the truck, drove in, lit em up, and rolled out.

Golly, I hope the link works
it's only4.8MB or10 secs.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5b9ca082eb752/21142.mp4
c0ea173ad1b57b0400e534fa23088020.jpg0a2198e47a7442b5c1a0b35a279a1705.jpge073497c0e6a4d809d94682aaa6896df.jpg

Last edited:

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
WY.Ram. If you want to do a video about your Power Wagon burning out, I strongly suggest that It would be best not to perform it on any public road. Both a Demonstration of Speed and or a Reckless Driving traffic offense is what it might be considered as to the law. I ain't the law, but I did this and got off with just a misdemeanor ticket for Speed Contest. That was many years ago. Posting a video doing it legally on either a Private Drive within Private Land or at the Bandimere Speedway would be best. I want to see you use those new gears for the bigger tires.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How ya liking the 5.13’s? Still on 35’s, or 37’s now?

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
How ya liking the 5.13’s? Still on 35’s, or 37’s now?
Hey, sorry to lag. I'm still on 35s and I am still as enthusiastic about the regear as ever.
When I bought the wagon her main function was to get me from Wyoming to Colorado and back, ever week no matter the conditions. It was roughly 220 miles one way and a fair amount was on the interstate, one where 10mph over is common and 15 to 25 over is done by many very often. I like 85mph and don't hesitate to set my cruise there (on I-25).
I only did the commute 3 or 4 times in the last 12 months, all with the regear done, and the truck handle it fine, I probably cruised it closer to 80 to 83mph instead of 86 to 87mph. If I were continuing to drive it weekly I would have jumped to the 37s when I did a tire swap a couple months back in December due to the higher rpms at 85+.
I had two 35s sitting in garage that I used to replace the two worst on the truck. I did this to continue on 35s as long as I could without buying.
Right now, 3 or 4 times a year wouldn't bother me to drive that far especially if I pull back from 85 mph a smidge. My engine rpms at 80mph go unnoticed and feel like still in sweet spot.
Right now I drive on I-25 regularly at 80 to 90mph but I do so at a far shorter distance, more like 15 to 40 miles, not 220miles.
There are a couple big hills between Castle and South Denver, the grade slows traffic to 75 ish mph up the hills but Up these grades at 75+mph the wagon has left her biggest impression. when most can't hold their speed the wagon can accelerate and accelerate well.
Obviously she runs out of top end sooner with the 5.13 then with the 4.10 ratio but the top end is high enough I don't know where it is for either gear, I'll guess 120mph with 5.13. plenty fast.
I guess my point with all that is the improvement in the top end is probably more impressive then the bottom and the bottom end is nothing short of "hell yeah".
I'm have a serious conversation with myself everyday making sure the 37" goal is still on the schedule, as of now, I say yes. But those 37" tires set her back even close to factory and they'll be on sale here in a heartbeat. :)

2016 RAM 2500 pw | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & Solo | Diablo T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Glad that your Power Wagon can hold its own on the I-25 Surrey Ridge grades. Never could get much above 73 MPH floored with either of my older Chevrolet V8 4x4 pickups (3.73 to 1 gear ratio) on ascending the southbound Surrey Ridge grade and through the Palmer Divide.

On Monument Hill the 7,350 elevation robs approximately 25% of the horsepower. It sounds like you were able to compensate for this loss in power with the lower gear ratio. Got to make one heck of a difference while towing up at even much higher altitude over both Vail Pass and the Eisenhower/Johnson tunnels (Loveland Pass) on I-70.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, sorry to lag. I'm still on 35s and I am still as enthusiastic about the regear as ever.
When I bought the wagon her main function was to get me from Wyoming to Colorado and back, ever week no matter the conditions. It was roughly 220 miles one way and a fair amount was on the interstate, one where 10mph over is common and 15 to 25 over is done by many very often. I like 85mph and don't hesitate to set my cruise there (on I-25).
I only did the commute 3 or 4 times in the last 12 months, all with the regear done, and the truck handle it fine, I probably cruised it closer to 80 to 83mph instead of 86 to 87mph. If I were continuing to drive it weekly I would have jumped to the 37s when I did a tire swap a couple months back in December due to the higher rpms at 85+.
I had two 35s sitting in garage that I used to replace the two worst on the truck. I did this to continue on 35s as long as I could without buying.
Right now, 3 or 4 times a year wouldn't bother me to drive that far especially if I pull back from 85 mph a smidge. My engine rpms at 80mph go unnoticed and feel like still in sweet spot.
Right now I drive on I-25 regularly at 80 to 90mph but I do so at a far shorter distance, more like 15 to 40 miles, not 220miles.
There are a couple big hills between Castle and South Denver, the grade slows traffic to 75 ish mph up the hills but Up these grades at 75+mph the wagon has left her biggest impression. when most can't hold their speed the wagon can accelerate and accelerate well.
Obviously she runs out of top end sooner with the 5.13 then with the 4.10 ratio but the top end is high enough I don't know where it is for either gear, I'll guess 120mph with 5.13. plenty fast.
I guess my point with all that is the improvement in the top end is probably more impressive then the bottom and the bottom end is nothing short of "hell yeah".
I'm have a serious conversation with myself everyday making sure the 37" goal is still on the schedule, as of now, I say yes. But those 37" tires set her back even close to factory and they'll be on sale here in a heartbeat. :)

2016 RAM 2500 pw | 392ci w 6spd | CAI w ARH long tubes & Solo | Diablo T2 w HF tune | 5.13 AAM w 35" Mickey MTs | Custom Graphics w illegal tint | Dodge Off-Road

Heck yea, thanks for the info! I kinda figured I would hear that response, but just wanted to make sure lol.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Glad that your Power Wagon can hold its own on the I-25 Surrey Ridge grades. Never could get much above 73 MPH floored with either of my older Chevrolet V8 4x4 pickups (3.73 to 1 gear ratio) on ascending the southbound Surrey Ridge grade and through the Palmer Divide.

On Monument Hill the 7,350 elevation robs approximately 25% of the horsepower. It sounds like you were able to compensate for this loss in power with the lower gear ratio. Got to make one heck of a difference while towing up at even much higher altitude over both Vail Pass and the Eisenhower/Johnson tunnels (Loveland Pass) on I-70.
Dude your WY / CO road knowledge is damn impressive. I don't know if you had a hand in their construction or if you have some kind of amazing memory and like to study maps but however you've absorbed the info your recall is very impressive.
I think your forum nick shoulda been wiki-rd. :)
I've been living at my current address just over a year and I can finally recite my address correctly maybe 80% of the time, and I'm usually quite jazzed about it, usually....

Oh question, just curious - what size v8 did you have in your Chevy 4x4s?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Dude your WY / CO road knowledge is damn impressive. I don't know if you had a hand in their construction or if you have some kind of amazing memory and like to study maps but however you've absorbed the info your recall is very impressive.
I think your forum nick shoulda been wiki-rd. :)
I've been living at my current address just over a year and I can finally recite my address correctly maybe 80% of the time, and I'm usually quite jazzed about it, usually....

Oh question, just curious - what size v8 did you have in your Chevy 4x4s?

I lived in SE Aurora from 1995 to 2017. Traveled to Colorado Springs often since 1981 due to both family and for my 36 year professional career in Defense and Aerospace. It's all from memory. I couldn't tell you the street name of which intersected my cul-de-sac in Aurora. Had to find alternative routes to get back home and so I drove Highway 83 and the dirt frontage roads a lot when I-25 was too congested or stopped entirely. I listened to the traffic reports and learned the lingo from the radio. Knew where the "Mouse Trap" was, but never could exactly understand what defined the "High Country". If you've got that locality understood then your all set, because the traffic was usually a mess up there.

I do have a Civil Engineer in my family who has designed and still designs both highway and major intersections from Cheyenne to Colorado Springs. You've probably driven on them.

My 1998 K1500 Cheyenne Extended cab with a 5 speed manual transmission has a 305 cubic in. engine which is rated at 230 horsepower, 3.73 to 1 gear ratio, and 265 75R16 Duratrac tires. My 1995 K1500 Silverado Extended cab 5 speed manual transmission that I dumped for nothing as a $100 trade in on the purchase of my Power Wagon had a 350 which was rated at 200 horsepower and had 3.42 to 1 gears.

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its thuren bar and bracket on the axle side. thuren rear springs with 1" spacer . added drop bracket on frame side to get the bar angle back to about where it would be without 1" spacers. havent drove it yet but should drive nice in the rear

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
its thuren bar and bracket on the axle side. thuren rear springs with 1" spacer . added drop bracket on frame side to get the bar angle back to about where it would be without 1" spacers. havent drove it yet but should drive nice in the rear
What do have planned for the front springs?

What drop bracket did you use for the frame side of your track bar?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do have planned for the front springs?

What drop bracket did you use for the frame side of your track bar?

hey bud im using thuren front springs ,no spacers. the reason for 1" rear spacer is i want the factory rake. im not much of a level truck kind of guy lol plus the thuren springs sqaut easily and i dont want the cali lean

the frameside bracket is carli. top notch qaulity for sure but the bolts they supply are to short so im going to get all my own bolts tomorow. with the axle likely in excess of 800lb ,the trackbar and bracket bolts arent the place to use questionable qaulity foriegn fasteners as a bolt failure could be a disaster. gonna call the local fastenal in the morning and get some made in usa grade 9 HK brand ecogaurd for the bracket and trackbar

you need four 1/2" with 1.25" or 1.5" length for the bracket. two 9/16" with 4.25" or 4.5" length for each end of the bar. the original frameside bar hole is m14 but the factory bolt is a bit short now. so youll need one at 4.25" or 4.5" (110mm +). you could ream the hole for 9/16 but i probly wouldnt incase you ever need to return the truck back to stock. also i removed the rear muffler section and passenger side bumpstop to be able to drill the bracket holes. you can easily drill three of the holes but the 4th hole up top at the rear is partially blocked by the swaybar end link bracket. i drilled it to 5/16 or so then grinded it out the rest of the way with dremel and carbide bit. otherwise youll need short 90* drill

20200329_104156.jpg

Last edited:

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heres the part numbers for the hardware if you go the same route i did. all of it can be ordered from fastenal site. all pieces are hk usa grade 9 except the 10.9 m14-2 x110mm. put the carli hard ware in the trash where it belongs. besides being to short its garbage from china to add extra insult

2pcs bolt 9/16-12x4.5 11540753
4pcs washer 9/16 11541087
2pcs lock nut 9/16-12 11541122
4pcs bolt 1/2-20x1.25 11540972
8pcs washer 1/2 11541086
4pcs locknut 1/2-20 11541130
1pcs bolt 10.9 m14-1.5x110mm 11113293
2pcs washer m14 34881
1pcs locknut m14 11508310

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Dude, I'm very impressed, thanks for taking the time to post, that kinda info is not easy, not for me any way. Next, the underside of your wagon is showroom, looks great and gonna ride even better.

Hell yeah, I wanna follow your lead. I've been waffling back and forth between Carli and Thuren for way too long, I liked the idea of Carli's progressive rate in the back but I also want the king shock. I really been indecisive, kinda stuck. I'm jazzed now

I have read the Thuren track bar will accomplish what I wanted from the multirate spring also so this is perfect.

So then you goin with the king shocks?

And then couldn't help but notice your swaybar link are they the XD / HD set? I think string would do as well as the stock pinners.

Cool man, thanks again, I'm gonna get the trackbar and gear coming, maybe even the springs tonight, at least order them, then the shocks soon. Probably can't drive on bils and Thuren so I better just pull the trigger on the 2.5s? A dream about to come true. Only been waiting for like 2yrs

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dude, I'm very impressed, thanks for taking the time to post, that kinda info is not easy, not for me any way. Next, the underside of your wagon is showroom, looks great and gonna ride even better.

Hell yeah, I wanna follow your lead. I've been waffling back and forth between Carli and Thuren for way too long, I liked the idea of Carli's progressive rate in the back but I also want the king shock. I really been indecisive, kinda stuck. I'm jazzed now

I have read the Thuren track bar will accomplish what I wanted from the multirate spring also so this is perfect.

So then you goin with the king shocks?

And then couldn't help but notice your swaybar link are they the XD / HD set? I think string would do as well as the stock pinners.

Cool man, thanks again, I'm gonna get the trackbar and gear coming, maybe even the springs tonight, at least order them, then the shocks soon. Probably can't drive on bils and Thuren so I better just pull the trigger on the 2.5s? A dream about to come true. Only been waiting for like 2yrs

Yea, you will need shocks for sure. But, dont sell yourself short on the white body ones from thuren. Sure, they are not kings, but you can always upgrade later. For $1700 for the entire kit (with white body shocks), it seems like a viable option for a while to me.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Yea, you will need shocks for sure. But, dont sell yourself short on the white body ones from thuren. Sure, they are not kings, but you can always upgrade later. For $1700 for the entire kit (with white body shocks), it seems like a viable option for a while to me.
I have read some from people who were very happy with the Overland shocks. And the price is really quite affordable, even if I only run them for 1 to 2 years. Or 5 lol the way the clock moves.
I probably wouldn't exercise the 2.5 Kings too hard , I really don't race across roadless deserts, dunes sure but not the rocky, trenchy, desert floors, no jumps or daylight under the wheels unless crawln and flexn, but I don't think I'll ever air it out on purpose not even two wheels. I get a little morose when I think of 7650 lbs landing even off a curb, some day maybe but for now, four down low and sometimes with a locker or two on is where I live.
Thanks man [emoji106]

And I believe those are ready right away, I always like that