5th Gen 8.4 UAV Radio in a 4th Gen (And Possible Surround View)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
ah here is the other thread i came back to here to watch someone needs a 3D printer now to make a clean install kit for the 12" screen. Would look great in my 18 Limited. Also being a limited, i don't see myself hacking the dash, did that in my 02 and 05, i avoided it (mostly) in my 12, but really don't feel like doing it in my 18, fingers crossed that a kit will come out and give us a professional level easier install option

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ah here is the other thread i came back to here to watch someone needs a 3D printer now to make a clean install kit for the 12" screen. Would look great in my 18 Limited. Also being a limited, i don't see myself hacking the dash, did that in my 02 and 05, i avoided it (mostly) in my 12, but really don't feel like doing it in my 18, fingers crossed that a kit will come out and give us a professional level easier install option
I am sort of working on that. I just gave my buddy the screen and bezel to 3D scan at work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

frankss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've been interested in this as soon as I saw the new 5th Gen interiors. I also want to try and get the 5th Gen center console into my truck as well.

Question though.... instead of having the full surround camera setup working, can it be set up to just have the Front, rear and cargo cams and thats all?

ric221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is your reverse camera mounted correctly as the display looks to be upside down

D

Deleted member 26229

Is this climate control module you created just translating the CAN bus messages? Would you be able to open source your research into what CAN frames need to be translated.

I think a 3d printed bezel is definitely necessary as the screen just looks out of place right now. Great work so far!

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to get an 8.4 radio from a 5th gen installed and working on a 4th gen, so here’s some info on that. This is the UAV 8.4 with navigation. A few things to let you know about this, first:
1- If all you’re looking to do is have an 8.4 upgrade for CarPlay or Android Auto, there’s really no advantage of installing this instead of the UAQ or UAS radio. The only reason I did this is to ultimately get the factory surround view from the 5th gen working on my 4th gen, and the UAS/UAQ radios don’t support it, so *hopefully* this thread evolves into how to do that.
2- The UAV 8.4 is three separate parts: the display screen, the radio module, and the LVDS cable that links the 2 together. A “Y” conversion harness also needs to be made that plugs into the harness connector for the HVAC hard controls so that same connector can be plugged into the display screen (more on that later).
3- The back of the center stack with radio bezel has to be modified to be able to screw the display screen to it.
4- The windows version of AlfaOBD is needed to make the necessary change to get the display screen to work. At this time, the Android version isn’t capable.
5- I haven’t tested this on any other vehicle except mine- 2017 Ram 2500 Tradesman. I drove around for a day and a half with multiple drive cycles to make sure everything I could think of works the way it should before finalizing the install.

Part number for the display screen is 68356773AD. The radio module is 68307655AI. The LVDS cable is 68082364AC.

A conversion Y harness needs to be built for the HVAC/Hazard switch controls. The two circled connectors are the same 8 way connector that contain the same circuits, just with different pin locations, and they both need to be plugged in. yuEl6tW.jpg The red circled connector is the original one that the factory dash harness plugs into. Here’s it’s pin layout- z5gnK5e.jpg

Here’s the pin layout of the purple circled connector on the display screen- dzz3c8o.jpg

You’ll have to build a harness that plugs into the female 8 way dash harness connector, takes those circuits, and branches them off to the appropriate pin locations on both circled connectors. HqoOBlH.jpg

@Jimmy07 I wanted to say thank you for this.
I just installed a UAV from a 2019 Grand Cherokee in my 2016 1500. I was able to install the screen with no modification to the dash(I did end up cutting / modifying the screen's mounting tabs). The UAV receiver from the Grand Cherokee would have fit in the space my RA4 was in if it wasn't for the metal brace in the dash. I had to mount the receiver with zip ties near the bottom of the dash. A UAQ would've been an easier install but I scored the UAV for $600.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Jimmy07 I wanted to say thank you for this.
I just installed a UAV from a 2019 Grand Cherokee in my 2016 1500. I was able to install the screen with no modification to the dash(I did end up cutting / modifying the screen's mounting tabs). The UAV receiver from the Grand Cherokee would have fit in the space my RA4 was in if it wasn't for the metal brace in the dash. I had to mount the receiver with zip ties near the bottom of the dash. A UAQ would've been an easier install but I scored the UAV for $600.
Did a similar install but even with cutting the brace, the module doesn't have a place to bolt in. I ended up custom making some brackets from 1/8" aluminum and plan to have a buddy cut a nicer version with his CNC machine. 028a7356a596764f6c66fd082b91879f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did a similar install but even with cutting the brace, the module doesn't have a place to bolt in. I ended up custom making some brackets from 1/8" aluminum and plan to have a buddy cut a nicer version with his CNC machine. 028a7356a596764f6c66fd082b91879f.jpg

mine came with a bracket that would allow you to mount it to the old radio mount.

image.jpg

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Does everything work properly on the radio in your '16?

'16 CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT, CTT tuning, UAQ, Customtronix Enzo, Single Zone ATC

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

'16 CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT, CTT tuning, UAQ, Customtronix Enzo, Single Zone ATC

Only issue I’ve had is the gps clock being an hour off, but that’s not a big deal(just changed it to manual).

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Only issue I’ve had is the gps clock being an hour off, but that’s not a big deal(just changed it to manual).
Good to know. That's awesome! I have a UAQ in my '16 SLT G56 and had it in my '17 68 Tradesman. It worked flawless in my Tradesman since it was an auto but, in my 2016 the backup camera will not automatically display when the truck is in reverse. It acts up a lot with the Customtronix Enzo in it in the 16 as well. I had an RA2, RA4, & UAQ in my Tradesman and a RA3 & UAQ in my SLT. I'm about to go back to an RA4 unfortunately. I just bought one and I'm going to sell my UAQ to my Dad since he's got an 18 Tradesman and put the RA4 in my 6 speed so I can have the backup camera working correctly. It will work if you open it with the soft key but says "Camera system Unavailable". If I had not already dumped so much money into radios I would try what you did but I'm sure the backup camera wouldn't work correctly either since my truck is a G56.

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know. That's awesome! I have a UAQ in my '16 SLT G56 and had it in my '17 68 Tradesman. It worked flawless in my Tradesman since it was an auto but, in my 2016 the backup camera will not automatically display when the truck is in reverse. It acts up a lot with the Customtronix Enzo in it in the 16 as well. I had an RA2, RA4, & UAQ in my Tradesman and a RA3 & UAQ in my SLT. I'm about to go back to an RA4 unfortunately. I just bought one and I'm going to sell my UAQ to my Dad since he's got an 18 Tradesman and put the RA4 in my 6 speed so I can have the backup camera working correctly. It will work if you open it with the soft key but says "Camera system Unavailable". If I had not already dumped so much money into radios I would try what you did but I'm sure the backup camera wouldn't work correctly either since my truck is a G56.

I wonder if a UAQ from a Wrangler or Gladiator would work(since those have manual transmission options). Also I noticed Naviks makes a camera switcher that goes directly into the display of UAV so maybe that would be a work around(although it would be expensive).

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Everything works flawlessly with the UAV. I'm currently working on doing the 12" now and the only issue I've found so far is the buttons on either side of the screen don't work properly. They bring up the corresponding feature on the screen but you can't adjust anything with them. Hoping to work with some of the guys on here to figure out a solution.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything works flawlessly with the UAV. I'm currently working on doing the 12" now and the only issue I've found so far is the buttons on either side of the screen don't work properly. They bring up the corresponding feature on the screen but you can't adjust anything with them. Hoping to work with some of the guys on here to figure out a solution.

Working on it and making some good progress. @skuppy069 is doing some testing with it but it needs a bit more refinement.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

48PowerWagon

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
@Jimmy07 @Roman217 @Ramit2016 Any Chance you guys can collaborate on a Clean Writeup on this including Parts, Brackets cables etc.? car-parts.com has several listed and I'm thinking of going for it and I want to make sure I get what I'm paying for.