All going away..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I could maybe see that back in the days when OBD was new. But there's no excuse for that now. IMO if someone doesn't know what a CEL is they should not be driving.
I would have thought that if someone doesn't know what a dipstick is they shouldn't be driving, but here we are.

Most people never take the plastic covers off the owners manuals. Drivers Ed classes are terrible at teaching kids how to drive, and don't even get close to checking oil, coolant or anything else under the hood. Let alone changing a flat, jumpstarting, checking tire pressure.

Ever notice how many people are at the gas station on the first cold morning putting air in their tires? That's because the cold caused the low tire light to come on. That is because they have not checked tire pressure since the first cold day last year.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt it was a cost savings measure. As mentioned, there is added complexity with the sensor, associated wiring, and coding. No way that costs less than a dipstick. I suspect the decision came from the Europeans at the top of Stellantis because people generally don't check their oil on a regular basis. With a dipstick only, there is no warning that the oil level is low until the oil pressure drops below a threshold. At that point it's almost too late, as damage can happen at that point. The oil light is a last resort. But the oil monitoring system informs you when the oil level is a quart down. Generally giving you time to drive someplace to get oil or have it looked at. Given a choice I'd much rather have the oil level monitor AND a dipstick.

Those of you complaining about a sensor that can fail must be ignoring the other hundreds of sensors these trucks have LOL.
The other year I had an O2 sensor go out, got the wateva mil light. Hooked up my bluedriver, researched code, aha Bank 1, Sensor 1 O2 *****. So called dealership, and got it in and they changed sensor, reset code. Drove out of service area, went 1/4 mile to Burger King. Waiting to get da Boird a Burger and wala, Mil light. Right back to dealership. This time they did not play around, they replaced all "4" O2 sensors on their dime. Truck been OK in that retrospect since. But that is a lot different than relying on a "sensor" to tell me, "Add Oil". That for me is a no go, guess showing my age, LOL.

ADDED: IF THEY gotta add another BS sensor, so be it. But WTH, leave my oil dipstick alone !!!!!!!!!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The other year I had an O2 sensor go out, got the wateva mil light. Hooked up my bluedriver, researched code, aha Bank 1, Sensor 1 O2 *****. So called dealership, and got it in and they changed sensor, reset code. Drove out of service area, went 1/4 mile to Burger King. Waiting to get da Boird a Burger and wala, Mil light. Right back to dealership. This time they did not play around, they replaced all "4" O2 sensors on their dime. Truck been OK in that retrospect since. But that is a lot different than relying on a "sensor" to tell me, "Add Oil". That for me is a no go, guess showing my age, LOL.

ADDED: IF THEY gotta add another BS sensor, so be it. But WTH, leave my oil dipstick alone !!!!!!!!!
Without a dipstick, how can you tell how low the oil is or how much to add?

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Without a dipstick, how can you tell how the oil is
This is actually a very good question for all of the dipstick proponents- how can you actually tell how the oil is by just looking at it on the dipstick?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You guys seem to think I'm in favor of removing all dipsticks LOL. I'd rather have one, which is why I bought aftermarket dipsticks for every car I've owned that didn't have one. I'm just saying you all are making a bigger deal out of this than it really is.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't even with a dipstick. Color is not an indication of its condition.
I can't agree on that if you have a head gasket leak, pulling the dip stick and seeing a milky substance on the dip stick, I will not purchase that vehicle, also if you come across a vehicle with clean oil on the dip stick Run, and it will also tell you the condition of the oil from clear to darkened.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well to be honest since checking it 1 time I know my truck doesn't use oil so I don't check between changes.i do check it after I do an oil change but I don't know why because I have just put 7 qts in it.people rarely if ever check break fluid or coolant level unless there is a problem.water almost as important to engine health as oil and brake fluid 100 times more important to your health than low oil.but both almost never checked.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are we dealing with the same population that has mastered the computer or cellphone? There are already gauges that monitor various automobile system, like cooling, electrical, and fuel.

Besides, the absence of an engine oil dipstick now puts the full onus on the manufacturer if the monitor system has failed and the engine is damaged because it ran out of oil.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 108571 miles.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Are we dealing with the same population that has mastered the computer or cellphone? There are already gauges that monitor various automobile system, like cooling, electrical, and fuel.

Besides, the absence of an engine oil dipstick now puts the full onus on the manufacturer if the monitor system has failed and the engine is damaged because it ran out of oil.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 108571 miles.
I suspect a lot of the people complaining about no dipstick are more concerned with what happens after the warranty expires. Because at that point it doesn't matter that it was the manufacturer's monitoring system that failed. The owner would be stuck with the full repair bill once the warranty expires.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No matter what, I like to look at my oil for level, color, and smell.

What good is a full reading if a large portion of the oil is gas or water?
Excellent point. I would prefer the old method of a dipstick as well, but I suspect that these auto companies are addressing the lowest common denominator of people that are not familiar with machinery, are ignorant of what it takes to properly take care of a automobile, or just plain lazy. Unfortunately its become an artifact of our dumbed-down culture.

If this no dipstick strategy fails, people will probably sue.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 108593 miles.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My last 3 or 4 trucks, I don't think I ever had to add oil.
Running around town I don't usually check, but If out for a trip to the kids or what ever I check what I can. Going to town use to be a 2 hr trip, so I would check most of the time.
If you have water or fuel in the oil, you can tell from the smell, feel and look of the oil.

Checking oil on the dipstick on my diesels don't tell you anything as it's black 20 min. after a change.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
My RAM burned very little between oil changes...maybe 1/2 quart or less at most.

My VW doesn't burn much if any. My dipstick is pretty much on full when the oil change rolls around.

Still doesn't change my routine of checking all of my vehicles each weekend "just in case".

Checking oil on the dipstick on my diesels don't tell you anything as it's black 20 min. after a change.
My diesel was a different story. I checked the level every 2-3 days because who knows when/where the next oil leak was going to happen.

True, the oil was black in a day but that made it easier to read on the dipstick. :cool:

cerbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
glad my 24 still has the stick. I ve had Porsche s with no stick and the issue I ve always had is that when I did an oil change you then had to drive a certain amount of miles to get a reading . As you can imagine that was annoying .
The the wife's CX90 Mazda has the stick and the computer readout. Again the readout only works at certain engine temps and running times and I ve had to stop and start the engine numerous times to get it to function for me. The stick is easier IMO.