Brake Job Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SMP190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I'm sure I already know the answer.....or at least I think I do.
Here's the issue: 2016 RAM Eco Diesel, Original Owner, 42000 miles, regular and on-time service history with my local RAM Dealer. Truck went in for routine oil change, no other issues. Service Manager texted me and said that during their "free routine safety inspection" they discovered "your front brake pads are at 4mm's, new pads are 10mm's and unsafe pads are 2mm's." He gave me a quote of $672 for pads and rotors.
Wait......why do the rotors need replacing?..... Reply...."The rotors get worn out and we don't machine rotors because that will cause vibration when braking.
I needed my truck out by the end of the day, so I gave the OK to perform the work.
Wait.....if new pads are 10mm's, and are unsafe at 2mm's....and mine were at 4mm's.....How did the rotors get damaged and/or why do they need to be replaced????
I recently received a payoff for an eco-diesel class action suit and started thinking......are the thousands (my low ball estimate...LOL) of RAM pickup truck owners also being scammed by dealers to replace rotors during a routine brake job.....?
Thoughts?

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
my rotors 60,000 still in great shape bet could use and not even turn but got slotted rotors brakes for 250.. 100 to install in front pads were still not bad so bs I think still driving on rears look great at 60,000 ! my dealer doesn't even want to fix my truck anymore really sad ! a ticking problem again and stalling at stop rpms go to 400 stops running few seconds then pops right up !

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I needed my truck out by the end of the day, so I gave the OK to perform the work.

Brake job, especially just pads are a real easy dyi job, but as your statement says you gave the ok, live with it. Coming from a dealer point of view, I wouldn't machine rotors either, not for the ********* reason you got, just because I'm not wasting a guys time who gets paid a lot of money an hour to spin and cut metal for some chump change charge. Live and learn, next time you should surely dyi, that bad feeling I have in my gut is that your oil in the brake reservoir is black? Which means no fluid change, and it is more then likely the fluid was more in need of changing then brakes??

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure I already know the answer.....or at least I think I do.
Here's the issue: 2016 RAM Eco Diesel, Original Owner, 42000 miles, regular and on-time service history with my local RAM Dealer. Truck went in for routine oil change, no other issues. Service Manager texted me and said that during their "free routine safety inspection" they discovered "your front brake pads are at 4mm's, new pads are 10mm's and unsafe pads are 2mm's." He gave me a quote of $672 for pads and rotors.

Have you considered “upgrading” your stock brakes to a brand like PowerStop? You can buy a front and rear set for less than $672. I have them and like them. I probably have at least 50k miles on mine and the pads still have a lot of life left. What I like most about PowerStop is no brake dust! Rims stay clean!!

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Literally just had the same experience at my dealership which is USUALLY very good. about 4k to put on new tires, brakes, rotors and flush trans and something else. Went in for an oil change. Lmao. 2016, 26k mile garage queen. I do need new tires. Ordered... and I am planning on brakes just because I have way more fun in my truck than I should. I pay at the pump but knew it going in... Hey, its s hemi. Lol. As for the flushes... nice descriptor. Lol

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Funny thing is I had a similar experience with my 2015 ! Went in for oil change and FREE state inspection, Service writer comes out and says he was told will not pass inspection because of pad at 40/50% and bad rust on rotors :O Imagine that rust on rotors lol go figure.

And since I did get a lube job he figured his price of $1400.00/$1500.00 would slip right in :O
Well I do not like going in a shop like (__*__) and coming out like (__O__), so said I'll wait,

Stopped over to a friends garage and asked if I could get a appointment , He said how about now :) So he pulls a wheels and pads are 40/50% and rotors fine, maybe 30k on them !
Even though not needed the rusty rotors have been bugging me forever lol so had him put on the Wagner E Coated rotors and OEX pads , To me worth the $500.00 installed ,And yes he cut me a deal, I always pay him a bit more then what he asks on any work he does for me ! Pays off lol And when I hit 53k a few years ago, I was told at inspection it needed brakes , same dealer,,, Our shop mechanic checked and I was at %50 Needless to say since I am not at 73 k on the clock my buddy will get any repairs now unless it is covered by the 100k part of wattanty

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
$672 for just the front rotors and pads? Sweet baby Jeezus..

Typical for dealer service around me is around $350 per axle.

I know you were in a time crunch and may not do your own brake work, but when I did pads and rotors all the way around on my 2017 Ram with mail order eBay pads and rotors. It was $169 for all the parts. Couple hours for me to do the work.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny thing is I had a similar experience with my 2015 ! Went in for oil change and FREE state inspection, Service writer comes out and says he was told will not pass inspection because of pad at 40/50% and bad rust on rotors :O Imagine that rust on rotors lol go figure.

And since I did get a lube job he figured his price of $1400.00/$1500.00 would slip right in :O
Well I do not like going in a shop like (__*__) and coming out like (__O__), so said I'll wait,

Stopped over to a friends garage and asked if I could get a appointment , He said how about now :) So he pulls a wheels and pads are 40/50% and rotors fine, maybe 30k on them !
Even though not needed the rusty rotors have been bugging me forever lol so had him put on the Wagner E Coated rotors and OEX pads , To me worth the $500.00 installed ,And yes he cut me a deal, I always pay him a bit more then what he asks on any work he does for me ! Pays off lol And when I hit 53k a few years ago, I was told at inspection it needed brakes , same dealer,,, Our shop mechanic checked and I was at %50 Needless to say since I am not at 73 k on the clock my buddy will get any repairs now unless it is covered by the 100k part of wattanty

Rado, how long have you had them on and how well are they holding up. I put the rotors and pads in my Amazon cart not realizing the rotors were for a single rotor. I know I don't NEED rotors but even my 26k rotors have enough of a rusty look on their edges that I figured it was worth the dosh for the aesthetic upgrade but they just went from 250 to $350 and I still have to pay to get them installed (yes... I COULD... but no, I WON'T.) I did all of my own work when I was younger... now time is more an issue and well honestly the old back ain't what she used to be. I'd like to start doing work again when I retire but for now it is worth the $120-150 that I expect it will cost. So i'm waffling on the rotors... decisions, decision!

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Rado, how long have you had them on and how well are they holding up. I put the rotors and pads in my Amazon cart not realizing the rotors were for a single rotor. I know I don't NEED rotors but even my 26k rotors have enough of a rusty look on their edges that I figured it was worth the dosh for the aesthetic upgrade but they just went from 250 to $350 and I still have to pay to get them installed (yes... I COULD... but no, I WON'T.) I did all of my own work when I was younger... now time is more an issue and well honestly the old back ain't what she used to be. I'd like to start doing work again when I retire but for now it is worth the $120-150 that I expect it will cost. So i'm waffling on the rotors... decisions, decision!

Sinistre.

I have only had the Wagner E Coated on a couple weeks ! I had the Wagner E Coated on my son's F150 a few years and they are holding up well ! So IMO worth the extra few $

The OEX pads I had on before were about 30k on them at 40/50% ! Very little to no dust and worked well when wet !
I could have changed them myself but at almost 70 y/o and a bad back + nerve damage left leg I paid a shop to do it ! Plus I am smart enough to not let me do it ! lol

The rotors I had on after the OEM where IMO a low priced China made rotor, and man they rusted bad ,and bugged the heck out of me how they looked ! IMO !

My E Brake pads were toast and I never used them :O but it did have 20k on it from previous owner ! getting those done a= in a few weeks !

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
$672 for just the front rotors and pads? Sweet baby Jeezus..

Typical for dealer service around me is around $350 per axle.

I know you were in a time crunch and may not do your own brake work, but when I did pads and rotors all the way around on my 2017 Ram with mail order eBay pads and rotors. It was $169 for all the parts. Couple hours for me to do the work.
I was looking at the power stop- pretty sure the 672$ is for front & rear- but as I read thru these posts going to check Callahan & Wagner members seem happy with them. I have never done rotors before, have heard can be difficult to remove, did you have any problems? I worry I’ll end up stuck in my parking lot & end up having to tow to mechanic, but would love to save shop labor cost & do myself

Villalobos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I was looking at the power stop- pretty sure the 672$ is for front & rear- but as I read thru these posts going to check Callahan & Wagner members seem happy with them. I have never done rotors before, have heard can be difficult to remove, did you have any problems? I worry I’ll end up stuck in my parking lot & end up having to tow to mechanic, but would love to save shop labor cost & do myself
I haven’t changed on my ram yet, but lots of other vehicles. Generally there are threaded holes for bolts, you crank them down and usually pops off, small sledge also works. Then when you put the new ones on use anti seize BETWEEN the lugs on the hub and you’ll never have any problems removing the rotors again. I’m sure there’s a great diy on this forum. Don’t be afraid! If you purchased your truck used, maybe previous owner did their own brakes and used anti seize, then you’re all set! I use Detroit axle products.

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brakes are one of the biggest ripoffs in the industry. They are extremely easy to change yourself on almost all vehicles. Back in the day when we had drum style rear brakes and and front brakes had rotors that actually had to have the wheel bearings and races possibly changed and re packed and then have the brakes adjusted there was some skill involved but those days are gone. It literally takes longer to jack up the vehicle and remove the wheels than it does to change the actual brake pads and rotors. Dealerships and other shops try to discourage people from attempting it themselves because it's literally one of the biggest money making scams they have. They mark up all the parts and then charge you a fortune to install them when it literally takes a few minutes per axel. Since rotors are no longer part of the actual wheel bearing assembly and don't cost nearly as much you Just un bolt the caliper bracket and they pop off and you slide on the new one. If your vehicle is well maintained and you aren't one of those people who brakes hard at the last minute constantly overheating his rotors they will usually last a long time and don't need to be changed but in many cases they are so enexpensive that you might as well do it while your in there. The best thing to do is find a YouTube video of someone actually changing brakes in a vehicle as close to yours as possible that actually knows what he's doing and you will be amazed at how simple it is. Trust me if it was something that was actually difficult to do the average backyard mechanic wouldn't be allowed to do it. I have three daughters and trust me they aren't tom boys by any sense Two of them change their own brakes and perform minor tuneups and oil changes on their cars because they watched me do it for years. I have always cringed when I see guys post on here that the dealer told them they needed brakes and they were getting to a dangerous level so they had them changed for a ridiculous amount of money when 99% of the time the pads were just getting a little worn and were going to need to be replaced soon. It's honestly sad how many people get ripped off by mechanics and especially dealers. I do all my own work but if there was ever a situation that I decided to take one of my vehicles to a mechanic the dealership is the last place I would take it. Why do you think they have those great oil change specials all the time? They're looking for other parts and services they can push on you that you don't necessarily need and charge you an arm and a leg for it.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I haven’t changed on my ram yet, but lots of other vehicles. Generally there are threaded holes for bolts, you crank them down and usually pops off, small sledge also works. Then when you put the new ones on use anti seize BETWEEN the lugs on the hub and you’ll never have any problems removing the rotors again. I’m sure there’s a great diy on this forum. Don’t be afraid! If you purchased your truck used, maybe previous owner did their own brakes and used anti seize, then you’re all set! I use Detroit axle products.

There are no threaded holes on Ram 1500 rotors to help push them off the hubs. They're going to come off hard if you live in the rust belt. If they're really stuck and you don't want to beat your hubs to oblivion, if you don't have an air hammer, cut the rotors with a sawzall. They cut easily with a good blade

For the rear rotors, you will need to back off the star wheel adjusters for the parking brake shoes or you will not get the rear rotors off without destroying the parking brake shoes and hardware.

The parking brake cam actuators need to be slathered with never seize or they will be junk in a few years.

With me living in the rust belt, a proper 4 wheel brake job takes me a few hours and I've been doing them myself for 35yrs. Lot of cleaning, rust removal, lube, prep work to do it right.