Brake Job Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I second Power Stop slotted and drilled. I still have OEMs on my Ram, only 30k now but I will replace with Power Stop. I did so no our mini Van and Challenger. What a difference.

On OEMs I got over 75,000 miles out of the front brakes on my mini van and almost 200,000 on the rear. Neither were in a hurt to be replaced. Besides if they get to the danger point the terrible warning noise will start annoying youi.

I cannot count the number of times I was told I need brakes. My question is how can the pads be accurately measured without removing the wheel? Yes, a somewhat measurement can be done if one can access the gap in the pad. But how accurate it that?

I have went so far as to pull my pads. Most of the time they are about half worn. The worst was once I would estimate 25% left.

Rotors need not be replaced unless you have vibration. I have turned them a little (2or 3 turns) to correct that. Nowadays most are too thin to turn. You might need to replace rotors if you wore the pads down to bare metal but then most of the time they will mate up after a few miles.

Yep easy money for the tech. Even then I'd question if the rotors were really replaced. You are lucky they didn't tell you new calipers were needed.

I guess "dangerous brakes" goes in the same bogus repair as "decarbonization", easy money. One of the service writers at the local dealership is big on that one.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I second Power Stop slotted and drilled. I still have OEMs on my Ram, only 30k now but I will replace with Power Stop. I did so no our mini Van and Challenger. What a difference.

On OEMs I got over 75,000 miles out of the front brakes on my mini van and almost 200,000 on the rear. Neither were in a hurt to be replaced. Besides if they get to the danger point the terrible warning noise will start annoying youi.

I cannot count the number of times I was told I need brakes. My question is how can the pads be accurately measured without removing the wheel? Yes, a somewhat measurement can be done if one can access the gap in the pad. But how accurate it that?

I have went so far as to pull my pads. Most of the time they are about half worn. The worst was once I would estimate 25% left.

Rotors need not be replaced unless you have vibration. I have turned them a little (2or 3 turns) to correct that. Nowadays most are too thin to turn. You might need to replace rotors if you wore the pads down to bare metal but then most of the time they will mate up after a few miles.

Yep easy money for the tech. .
-
I agree it is easy $$$ for the tech. At about 53k I went into dealership for oil change and tire rotation, Tech said need new brakes ! I had the mechanic at the company I worked for before I retired , check the brakes, They were around 50% ! But I did have him change them anyway as I had a PT job at a parts store and got a good deal on parts ! , Round 2 , go to same dealership for tire rotation ,State inspection and oil change . Service writer comes out says Tech says will not pass inspection needs brakes and had badly rusted rotors.Had 73k on the clock and maybe 25k on the brakes, For the Great Deal of $1400.00.$1500.00 WOW such a deal NOT !!!
Had mechanic I know check them and they were at 40 to 50% and yes rotors rusted but good shape ! Guess dealership figured since I got a lube job they could slip it in lol Not to this old fart

Last edited:

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Heck, even the NAPA replacement rotors and pads are a marked improvement from the OEM stuff. I had to do the rear brakes (pads & rotors on y wife's 2018 Jeep at just over 20,000 miles. The wear and warping was most likely caused by the road salt/brine that is used here in the northeastern states... two winters of that and the corrosion takes its toll. My 2017 Ram has 36,000 miles and the OEM brakes still look pretty good... it will not get OEM stuff as replacements.

Steve D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ECO
Check out the PowerStop Z36 package. For around $350 you can replace your rotors and pads. This package increases your stopping power for towing too.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My 07' Quad Cab 1500 has 91, 500 miles on original pads and rotors, still have life left. I have purchased a full set of power stop drilled rotors, pads, calipers, and all 5 brake line hoses to replace the originals.

IMG_0811.JPG

Reactions: TC

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
The change place down the street from me rotated my tires and said that the backs were worn but the fronts were fine. He showed me. About 1mm left. They put on new pads for $86 and it drives and stops fine.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rotors need resurfacing at a minimum to properly seat new brake pads and to clean any material imprints and other deviations that can cause pulsation down the line. Now, your dealer "not turning" rotors is BS, they all have "on-Hub" brake lathes these days...... However I will state I am not a fan of turning what are already minimal thickness rotors to start as all vehicles today are built with. Basically you can turn them once before they are no longer serviceable due to minimum thickness requirements.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dont know what new tires the dealership was planning to use. I assume GY since they are OEM. Drove from NY to CT to pick up my tires direct from tire rack. Saved about $60.and it was a nice fall drive. Got General grabbers. Ordered the Wagner's full rotors and pads from Amazon. Since I have to have tires installed and alignment I'll have the brakes added to their to do list. Will do a few hrs of OT to cover it all. I WANT to do it myself but the time and effort... wont make sense in this situation. Cant wait til I retire... tho may not be as motivated then either, lol. Rotors weren't needed but I hate the amount of rust on the edges of the OEM's and I like the black on the Wagners

Definitely looking forward to low dust brakes. Tires/ wheels look like ***** within a few days of a wash. Will be nice to keep them clean a while

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Dont know what new tires the dealership was planning to use. I assume GY since they are OEM. Drove from NY to CT to pick up my tires direct from tire rack. Saved about $60.and it was a nice fall drive. Got General grabbers. Ordered the Wagner's full rotors and pads from Amazon. Since I have to have tires installed and alignment I'll have the brakes added to their to do list. Will do a few hrs of OT to cover it all. I WANT to do it myself but the time and effort... wont make sense in this situation. Cant wait til I retire... tho may not be as motivated then either, lol. Rotors weren't needed but I hate the amount of rust on the edges of the OEM's and I like the black on the Wagners

Definitely looking forward to low dust brakes. Tires/ wheels look like ***** within a few days of a wash. Will be nice to keep them clean a while

You drove to Ct. from NY ? You must be near ! I use www.simpletire.com and the deliver free ! I thought Tire Rack delivered Free ?? I had the WAGNER's put on my Son'sF150 aa few years ago. holding up well ! That is why I just had mine put on !

FYI I am retired and could do it but I am lazy and did not want to do it lol
But like you the old rusted rotors were driving my nuts :O

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not close at all. Couple of silly reasons really. I like fall colors so I like windy "cross country" drives this time of year. It was out of stock at first and then they would have taken 2 extra days to come from GA (I believe)... and you get a discount of $64 to pick them up but there was also a $24 difference (my favor) taxes CT vs NY. But most importantly I've been Covid bunkered. A nice drive seemed fun. Stopped at City Island omw back and spent mybsavings on a seafood take out feast. Lol. No... I'm not counting the cost of gas (trip averaged 21 until I got back in the city at rush hour. Dropped to 19.1.

And before anyone says anything... yes I make much more in a work day than I saved... so that wasnt the issue. Lol. It was just an enjoyable Covid World outing

20201019_192702.jpg

20201019_154234.jpg

20201019_154257.jpg

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not close at all. Couple of silly reasons really. I like fall colors so I like windy "cross country" drives this time of year. It was out of stock at first and then they would have taken 2 extra days to come from GA (I believe)... and you get a discount of $64 to pick them up but there was also a $24 difference (my favor) taxes CT vs NY. But most importantly I've been Covid bunkered. A nice drive seemed fun. Stopped at City Island omw back and spent mybsavings on a seafood take out feast. Lol. No... I'm not counting the cost of gas (trip averaged 21 until I got back in the city at rush hour. Dropped to 19.1.

And before anyone says anything... yes I make much more in a work day than I saved... so that wasnt the issue. Lol. It was just an enjoyable Covid World outing

View attachment 225152

View attachment 225153

View attachment 225154
Sinister1. Nice grabbers. We make those in Illinois. Maybe not those exact ones, but I work where we make most of them. Have a brother in Groton CT. Beautiful area. And btw like the rambox too.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6

View attachment 225152

View attachment 225153

View attachment 225154

View attachment 225152

View attachment 225153

View attachment 225154
I don't blame you at all. I like driving my Ram and I take the long way all the time just to admire the scenery. Therapeutic! I would love to take a drive across New England to pick up from Tire Rack.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

View attachment 225152

View attachment 225153

View attachment 225154
I hear you about being cooped up and taking a long ride in the RAM :) I sometimes drive 1 1/2hours to grab a Roast Beef sandwich at my favorite place lol ! Sometimes a drive in the RAM is all you need to chill out :) I also like the ride from Bangor Me. to my son's house in Middletown Ct. 5 to 6 hrs on the road .. Just listening to tones !
Sometime not about the money , peace of mind is priceless

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I hear you about being cooped up and taking a long ride in the RAM :) I sometimes drive 1 1/2hours to grab a Roast Beef sandwich at my favorite place lol ! Sometimes a drive in the RAM is all you need to chill out :) I also like the ride from Bangor Me. to my son's house in Middletown Ct. 5 to 6 hrs on the road .. Just listening to tones !
Sometime not about the money , peace of mind is priceless
We drove from my friends house on Lake Sebago to Conway NH one day in August several years ago. Can't wait to do it again on the Goldwing.

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys all get it! Lol. Its the little things... and the quiet times. Lots of living in there if you look for it. I got the sound system upgrade with the truck and it is honestly the second best system I've owned. The other is my current home set up... exceedingly neutral and revealing to my ear. I've got 5k tunes on my usb.... long drive? What long drive.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no way your rotors need replacing at 42,000 miles.
Unfortunately I had to do mine too. These rotors are crap, pure Chineseium metal!!

I bought out my lease, so I had to do a safety to transfer the ownership. The garage would not pass the rotors and I had to change them. They did vibrate, and they were pitted. The pads were only worn down 0.080" compared to the new ones I put on.

Rotors are relatively cheap and not worth machining like they were years ago.
I had 62000kms ( about 40000 miles)611db4110925a84524fb93e83f72fab7.jpg15058bc91df05a67625b741fd5de5136.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Sinistre1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn. Those look brine pickled!!! So glad I opted for the Wagners. Mine arent anywhere near that bad but just knowing that they COULD be.... scary.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unfortunately I had to do mine too. These rotors are crap, pure Chineseium metal!!

I bought out my lease, so I had to do a safety to transfer the ownership. The garage would not pass the rotors and I had to change them. They did vibrate, and they were pitted. The pads were only worn down 0.080" compared to the new ones I put on.

That's exactly how the pads and rotors looked on my 2017 at around 40k miles. The pads were frozen in place due to rust and gunk even though I cleaned and serviced them at 15k miles!

Wonderful Buffalo NY winters.