DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If anybody has an 18 or up
I need help fixing the 911 issue I figured out a solution send me a message

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Give mpgrimm2 a shout. He sells a piece that should fix this. It did for my conversion.

5pointdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Looking for the same fix for my 18. Last update I saw said it currently can’t be fixed. Need to use a 18 + radio. I’m following to see if anyone responds with a possible solution other than replacing the radio I have now (15 8.4 RA4).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Give mpgrimm2 a shout. He sells a piece that should fix this. It did for my conversion.

Though that doesn’t fix it on the 18 and up is discussed in detail in the beginning of this that piece only fixes the 13 through 17

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Looking for the same fix for my 18. Last update I saw said it currently can’t be fixed. Need to use a 18 + radio. I’m following to see if anyone responds with a possible solution other than replacing the radio I have now (15 8.4 RA4).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent you a message I don’t have a possible solution I have a solution
We’re currently running it already in four different vehicle and it’s working perfectly
One of them actually has a Ra3 from a 15 in a 19

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I sent you a message I don’t have a possible operation I have a solution
We’re currently running it already in four different vehicle and it’s working perfectly
One of them actually has a Ra3 in a 19

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What we are doing is routing
Pin 1 and 11 from the back of the radio to the can block under the dash
If you have more questions feel free to send me a message I’ll explain in detail

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently ordered conversion parts from @Mpgrimm2 for my 2017 Ram to install an RA4 NA radio. He supplied the extended HVAC harness, 911 plug, and the control module. The conversion was an easy install with the parts I that I got from him.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. He answered my questions and was very helpful.

- Donnie King

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I recently ordered conversion parts from @Mpgrimm2 for my 2017 Ram to install an RA4 NA radio. He supplied the extended HVAC harness, 911 plug, and the control module. The conversion was an easy install with the parts I that I got from him.

I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. He answered my questions and was very helpful.

- Donnie King
Is Products so far and above everybody else’s they may not be the fastest to get there but I can promise you they’re of the best quality

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Message sent

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Outback199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V3.0 Diesel
Hello hive,

With your support I have been enjoying a 8.4 upgrade and ATC for the part 6 months. It's been working flawlessly.

Recently, I purchased powerfold mirrors, with turn signal and puddle lights. I bought the switch, and two modules as explained in guides here (thanks again).
Before you think I'm posting in the wrong thread, hear me out.

I'm not an owner of Alpha OBD - I got the ATC working using a ODB Genie programmer.

I decided to pay the dealer to activate my power fold mirrors, AAAAND, at the same time, add the sales codes for my 8.4 radio, and Single Zone ATC.
They called when done, and said all went well - except the Single Zone ATC was no working. Thinking about what I had read here, I asked them to attempt dual zone ATC as well. They advised they tried that, no luck.

I picked up the truck, mirrors working great, but the ATC no longer programmed. In fact, the temp control had reverted to a state it was in the past, where click on the hot/cold would move the slider in 4 increments only.

I was annoyed, but thought to myself, I'll just use the GENIE again. This involves pulling out the radio to bypass the mobile security gateway, then using the genie. I bit of work, but I want my ATC.

I wouldn't be writing had the procedure worked. As last time, it seemed to update the truck. After the first "reboot" the radio showed two zones (as it did in the past). Then after the 2nd cycling, it showed 1, as expected, and the AUTO button was shown. However, the slider is ALWAYS stuck in LO. I can drag it, it shows number as I drag it, but it always bounces back to LO. (as seen in the photo)

Pressing the HEAT button will move the mechanical, so I get heat - but the display shows LO, all the time. :(

Debating going back to the dealership and asking them to remove the sales codes for the 8.4 radio. I don't know what else it be. I search this forum, and I saw one fellow complained about this issue in 2020, but no resolution. I miss this feature.

I have pulled the power to the battery to 20+ minute, let the radio reset - no love. GOing on 48 hours.

Appreciate all advice.
Mark

IMG_7451.jpg

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Where did up get your 8.4 Upgrade and 'ATC' setup from?
(Infotainment? EDIT: Yep, see original post here and see here.)

What year truck? 1500?

What year/model/PN radio?

What HVAC module pn are you using?

Did you add ATC Temp Sensor only or Temp and Humidity Sensors? (depends on your truck model)

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Last edited:

Outback199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V3.0 Diesel
Where did up get your 8.4 Upgrade and 'ATC' setup from?
(Infotainment? EDIT: Yep, see original post here and see here.) (thank you)
What year truck? 1500?
2019 Ram Classic

What year/model/PN radio?
What HVAC module pn are you using?
  • HVAC module (P68366552AA)
  • Wire harness (assume made by Infotainment)
  • USB Media Hub
  • 8.4 Radio (68331631AK)
Did you add ATC Temp Sensor only or Temp and Humidity Sensors? (depends on your truck model)
Temp Sensor ONLY.

This WAS working... before Dealer visit / reflash...

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
And what did Infotainment say about the issue? One would assume since they were paid good money for the upgrade they would provide support to their customer.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
1) Basically you need to go back to the dealer and have them flash you're truck back to stock/ Single Zone MTC... Make sure everything is working and then do your upgrade with OBDgenie (they can leave the mirror sales codes in there).
Unfortunately this is a big limitation with the Genies vs AlfaOBD.... No way to verify that they actually flash/change settings correctly and no way to revert back to stock without a trip to the dealer.

2) I can guarantee your hvac wasn't working correctly with the Infotainment ATC setup before ... even if the temp slider works correctly with their Single Zone ATC changes.

Here's how you can verify it's not working correctly ...
Use the on screen menu or Auto button to take the system out of Auto mode. With the truck running and the A/C light on (ie manual cooling), pop the hood and look at the hvac compressor clutch... It will be engaged. Now have someone turn off/disable the 'A/C' button while watching the compressor clutch... It should disengage from the compressor!! ... but with their setup it never does and stays engaged/runs continuously ... Even in the winter! (Wearing out your compressor!)

Cheers!

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

Outback199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V3.0 Diesel
1) Basically you need to go back to the dealer and have them flash you're truck back to stock/ Single Zone MTC... Make sure everything is working and then do your upgrade with OBDgenie (they can leave the mirror sales codes in there).
Unfortunately this is a big limitation with the Genies vs AlfaOBD.... No way to verify that they actually flash/change settings correctly and no way to revert back to stock without a trip to the dealer.

2) I can guarantee your hvac wasn't working correctly with the Infotainment ATC setup before ... even if the temp slider works correctly with their Single Zone ATC changes.

Here's how you can verify it's not working correctly ...
Use the on screen menu or Auto button to take the system out of Auto mode. With the truck running and the A/C light on (ie manual cooling), pop the hood and look at the hvac compressor clutch... It will be engaged. Now have someone turn off/disable the 'A/C' button while watching the compressor clutch... It should disengage from the compressor!! ... but with their setup it never does and stays engaged/runs continuously ... Even in the winter! (Wearing out your compressor!)

Cheers!

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)

I appreciate you taking the time to reply - believe me, if I could turn back time - I would have bought from you. I found this group after I had issues.

I will attempt your test. Do you believe this is because I don't have a humidity sensor?

If I switch to your harness, and add the sensor, will this be resolved?

Mark

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I'm not going to elaborate further. If you want it to work right, you will need our harness setup.

M² Mods.
(via Tapatalk App)