DIY: 2013-2017 RA3/RA4 8.4" Radio Upgrade/HVAC Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dustinnolen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got an issue I was hoping y’all could help me with. Ive been in talks with Mpgrimm2 & he suggested that I post on here to see if y’all could see if we over looked anything.

I have a 2015 RAM 1500 & I’ve recently tried doing the 8.4 UConnect upgrade but the climate controls are not working.

Here is what I have:
**8.4 UConnect ra3 screen (pt# 68249986AH)

**Dual auto climate control bezel (pt# 1UJ97DX9AJ).
—originally I thought this piece was my issue so I purchased a singe zone manual bezel (pt# 1UJ96DX9AE)

**It came with a 7spd harness but everything about it looked wrong to me & the guy at 4th Gen RAM Electronics. So I purchased a new one from him.
—I thought this for sure was my issue since replacing the bezel didn’t help.

**HVAC control module (pt# P68268186AA).
—This is the only thing left to replace.

Everything works on the radio except the climate control. If I try one of the new bezels, the only thing that I can control is the volume/changing of the stations. It just says “climate control off” on the screen & there is an “on” button on the screen but it does nothing. So I’m having to use the stock bezel with 3 knobs that only controls the HVAC system & I can’t even adjust the volume of my radio, which makes my over an hour drive to work everyday pretty dull.

I’ve tried everything that I can think of to get it to work. I’ve used AlfaOBD & even unhooked the battery & touched the disconnected cables together just to see if maybe it needed to “re-learn”.

Needless to say, I’m at a little aggravated...

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It gets a little harder to narrow down with bits from different sources, but at this point it's either the harness, something not plugged in correctly, or the module.

Sent you a message with some options.

PS: I'm curious what your 1st harness lookd like that you replaced?

M² Mods.

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, got it from Facebook marketplace lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured. Just FYI, the guy who had it before you couldn't get it to work either. If you've replaced the harness and bezel already its almost a guarantee its the hvac module. I have one from a 2015 that I know is good working condition. The one you currently have is for a 2016/17 but it should still work in your truck. But 2015's are known to be picky about electronics so could be the issue as well. Shoot me a pm if interested

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
He should have another xxxx8186AE hvac module now and has the second harness from another vendor vs the one pictured.
Curious if @dustinnolen tried it out yet?

PS: Whoever sold that 'kit' to him on Facebook knew it didn't work or "yeah, I couldn't get it to work either". Not sure if that was clear when it was sold, but it sucks all the same.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

dustinnolen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
upload_2021-2-13_11-59-0.jpeg upload_2021-2-13_11-51-48.jpeg
He should have another xxxx8186AE hvac module now and has the second harness from another vendor vs the one pictured.
Curious if @dustinnolen tried it out yet?

PS: Whoever sold that 'kit' to him on Facebook knew it didn't work or "yeah, I couldn't get it to work either". Not sure if that was clear when it was sold, but it sucks all the same.

M² Mods.
Yes I have tried it out & thanks to you everything is finally working!! I texted you a picture the night I received & installed it. upload_2021-2-13_11-51-48.jpeg
upload_2021-2-13_11-59-0.jpeg

The guy I bought the kit from never bothered to mention he couldn’t get it to work until I hooked everything up & only had control over 50% of it. Then I asked him some questions & that’s when he finally told me. Not trying to bad mouth him or anything, just would’ve been nice to know ahead of time. But all is good now! So if anyone needs a dual climate bezel, I’ve got an extra lol.

thanks again man!

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
View attachment 236756 This is the harness that I replaced. Hope the photo shows up.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" - Benjamin Franklin
View attachment 237468 View attachment 237467
Yes I have tried it out & thanks to you everything is finally working!! I texted you a picture the night I received & installed it. View attachment 237467
View attachment 237468

The guy I bought the kit from never bothered to mention he couldn’t get it to work until I hooked everything up & only had control over 50% of it. Then I asked him some questions & that’s when he finally told me. Not trying to bad mouth him or anything, just would’ve been nice to know ahead of time. But all is good now! So if anyone needs a dual climate bezel, I’ve got an extra lol.

thanks again man!
Thanks again for posting Dustin!
Your experience above is unfortunately typical and I end up helping a lot of people behind the scenes here.

Just want to remind some folks how things can work out with getting 'kits' and copy cat harnesses from facebook and other places online with slick websites and fake reviews by "Jane Doe" (Really!). Many of these seller's actually bought harnesses from us to copy and continue to try and catch up to what we've been offering here for a few years now ...

As a vendor and Ram owner with a regular job, it's actually fun to help with items I would only install in my own truck using factory spec'd wire and connectors. You get genuine support from someone that's been there, standing by what is sold and being community focused here on the forum only.

Aa a reminder, our latest v4 universal harness is a little bit more but offers much more in the long run ...

Ready for prime time ....

True universal 8.4 primary conversion harness (v4)... with:

($165) - 4spd/7spd support in same harness
>> Just add our plug n play fan harness for 2500/3500 4 speed fan trucks ($55)

- Single Zone ATC part 1 built in
>> Just add our ATC part 2 harness if needed (for 14+ 1500's/classic, $60)

- Support for true Dual Zone ATC ... For those wanting to add extra blend door.
>> Will have to custom build rest of blend door wiring into add-on harness ($25 add-on. See here)

Will be same price as current harness with ATC Pt1 built in.
2b80b287cb3dfdface22baf5af8a3621.jpg

And an actual review right from the forum...

A great BIG thank you to M2Mods @Mpgrimm2 and his fantastic harnesses and tech support (without laughing, lol) !!!!! I seem to have needed some lessons in pinning a connector and he was there to avert a total F'n disaster.

His wiring is sooooo nice, I removed my not so nice Infotainment microphone harness and installed a 2016 mirror w/a 2018 microphone conversion harness w/camera bypass and a lead up the A pillar to the the humidity sensor. Plus a second beautiful harness to change my UAQ MTC control to full ATC. I also changed the hockey puck antenna to a shark fin with all the wiring in between for cell service.

So I now have ATC, microphone in the mirror (people can hear me much clearer), auto dim, smart beam and soon to have AT&T cell service hot spot in the radio.

And not to be left out of the accolades is @DeereGuy for my overhead console harness w/homelink and his wonderful 2018 bypass harness to turn all the "good stuff" on without paying the dealer $$$$$$$$$ for 20+ options.

M2Mods rock and I said it before but I don't mind saying it again.........

"You can pay more but you can't buy better than a M2Mods product"

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Snerdly3rd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
already have a 7 speed fan 2015 express, have an ra3 8.4 and a dual zone bezel from another 2015. Can I plug and play?

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
already have a 7 speed fan 2015 express, have an ra3 8.4 and a dual zone bezel from another 2015. Can I plug and play?
What's your original radio and what does your dash/HVAC look like?

M² Mods.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
FYI...
I don't usually have radios for complete kits, but I have a complete 2017 RA4 VP4-NA Upgrade kit available with support to add on Single Zone ATC if wanted (1 extra sensor for 4 speed 2500/3500, wiring is already built in to the harness. 1500 req's a bit more). Ideally for a 2013-17 ram (Haven't heard back in a week from the person that was supposed to get it).

Comes with used/tested 17ra4 w/unlock code & sw v18.45.x (very good condition), new Single Zone MTC bezel, cell bypass plug, new HVAC module, our universal conversion harness (& New Mopar/ Denso fan Resistor & Plug n play fan harness for 2500/3500's). 1500 harness setup boxed up and ready to ship... Have parts to easily swap out for 2500/3500 setup.

Message me if interested.

Mike G.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

hbseth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Mega 2500
Engine
Cummins
Has anyone ever swapped the main board of a VP4 into a VP3 head unit in theory this would make it a VP4 with the NAV HD radio etc (all benefits of a VP4). Can anyone shed some light if anyone has tried it or not?

I've found some refurbished VP4 main boards on eBay for $110-$130 and that cost added to what I got my VP3 for would be cheaper than I could have gotten a VP4 for in the first place. I build and refurbish desktop PCs and laptops so I am confident with my ability to do the work I am just trying to save myself from wasted money if this won't work but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I picked up a UAS P# 68332807AJ. These are the units out of the 2018+ Chrysler 200's with the aluminum cast mounting tabs on the bezels. In an attempt to use my bezel from my 2013 8.4, I had opened both units to find that everything was completely different. Not even the LCD mounting board is the same. Panasonic changed virtually everything internally on these units, no circuit board connections even came close.. I put them back together and just cut off the aluminum tabs.

Austen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Alright gentleman. I have swapped my UAQ out of my '16 2500 G56 for the time being and purchased a 2017 RA4 from Don K on Facebook (he's been good to work with). However I have two things that I can't help let me OCD get the best of me. 1st being it has a brand new screen on it. I believe that was prior to Don receiving it and me purchasing the radio. With the radio off the screen looks great however with the radio on while looking at it from any angle and not dead center it has curvy lines in it almost like a terrible glare? The "lines" don't move and can only be seen with screen on and it kills your eyes unless your leaning on the center console. I am afraid a screen protector will not resolve this because my cousin has a factory RA3 and you can look at the screen from any angle without anything appearing on screen. My truck came factory with an RA3 never had this issue either. Don offered a couple weeks ago for me to pay shipping and he would replace it with a good factory screen but I can't run the truck without a radio as I currently don't have my UAQ available. He also offered to split the price of a screen protector with me to see if it would resolve my issue. 2nd is my factory RA3 gave me the option for a backup camera soft key and my cargo camera soft key (both were installed from the factory on my truck) and my 2017 RA4 only has the cargo camera icon then from there after you open the cargo camera you are able to switch to reverse. My cousins factory installed RA3 in his '17 also gives you the option to click on both. I'm curious to know if my part number is actually for a '17 radio or 13-15 radio.. Part number is 68270661AF
Picture of the back of the radio is what I currently have installed in my '163df33b7f73b0617cdf5fcc4f4170a752.jpg77b8f52909fe92684aee679df6ed22af.jpg

'16 CCSB 4X4 G56 2500 6.7 SLT, CTT tuning, UAQ, Customtronix Enzo, Single Zone ATC

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
The 17 RA4 kit sold the other day.

I don't have any radios currently (can help you find one), but I do have or can get everything else...

New Single Zone MTC or Dual Zone ATC bezel - (5-10 day ETA)

New Mopar HVAC module - In stock

New Mopar/ Denso fan Resistor - in stock
(for 2500/3500's).

Cell Bypass Plug - in stock

Our Universal 4/7 speed conversion harness w/ATC Pt1 v4 support - in stock

Plug n play fan harness v4 - In Stock to 1 week ETA.
(for 2500/3500's)

ATC Pt2 Sensor Add-on harness - ~2 week ETA
(for 14 - 18/classic 1500's. Often req'd with UAQ or UAS upgrade)

M² Mods.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
... Another one of "4th Gen Ram's" customers (edit: now going by 4wheelelectronics ) that found me via Facebook referral. I will be getting him fixed up because of a crap harness that apparently looked ok when installed ... (He gave permission to share).
It's the worst one I've ever seen (there have been several) ... it sucks to see people have to pay more money to fix poor quality like this.
166d340e93e08776e46b38d1fab4b2af.jpg

e8b4f63fab5ffcf0a74ac3e86ad1ecb0.jpg

8/1/21 Edit: similar no support situation ...
20210731_214903.jpg20210810_232005.jpg

6/21/22 Edit:
Here's another 4wE customer that just came to me with a bad fan harness ....
20220621_202049.jpg

9/8/22
Help. I have a 2018 ram 2500 st.. base model. Radio is a Ra1 and has 4 speed fan. I installed a ra4 and a 7 sped resistor and used a 4 wheel electronics radio upgrade harness. Everything is working aside from ac.. compressor no longer kicks in after conversion. Anyone ever have this issue ?
4we is not replying to any emails to help me. Paid more for the harness and shipping than I did for the radio and module.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Now that is some fine work right there. Was that guy a butcher at Safeway?