Fuel tank replacement by dealer (sorry for the long post.)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
To cover up the fact that their tech broke the fuel pump and didn't want to eat the cost. Probably cheaper to RIP one out of a junk yard pump and all attached. Unfortunately I'm the guy that gets under my vehicle to check the work.

I'll bet they lied about the fuel pump because they couldn't get a tank or didn't want to get a new tank, they were looking around for a used one, and that's the only one that could find. I would be raising holy hell!

I just looked at my tank and that's not a cover that's the tank.

Get hold of corporate and who is that dealer? Post their name so no one uses them again.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have you gone and talked to the dealer? Before everyone goes all crazy with conspiracy theories and blasting the dealer, maybe talk to them first.
That's true Tach_tech but in the end there's no excuse for putting a previously abused tank in a 2 year old truck, especially without running it by the owner of the truck. If it's a junk yard tank it could be out of a 2009 or so and more likely for the pump to fail well before the useful life of the 2018 truck is up and it will be on the owner to pay for it. So hear them out but you still have every right to rip them a new *******.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I still don’t see any reason why a dealer would fit the bill to get a junkyard tank, that’s reaching to accuse that.

So the tech broke the fuel pump during removal, it also showed on his paperwork the fuel pump being replaced for a CEL. Little shady to do it that way to be honest but whatever. They did that to get warranty to cover it. Not right but that’s what they did.

I’d be more inclined to believe the gouges are from transportation/shipping from the parts warehouse to the dealer, than it being a used tank. Which the dealer paid out of pocket for yet claimed warranty for the pump.

Id say talk to dealer without being a **** about it until it’s needed. At this point I don’t feel going in guns blazing is necessary.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I still don’t see any reason why a dealer would fit the bill to get a junkyard tank, that’s reaching to accuse that.

So the tech broke the fuel pump during removal, it also showed on his paperwork the fuel pump being replaced for a CEL. Little shady to do it that way to be honest but whatever. They did that to get warranty to cover it. Not right but that’s what they did.

I’d be more inclined to believe the gouges are from transportation/shipping from the parts warehouse to the dealer, than it being a used tank. Which the dealer paid out of pocket for yet claimed warranty for the pump.

Id say talk to dealer without being a **** about it until it’s needed. At this point I don’t feel going in guns blazing is necessary.
I'll go with that assuming it is a new tank. Maybe the manager of that shop should look at having the diamond chip coated shop floor resurfaced, those are some pretty deep gouges in that tank.
:cheers:

Dad_Jokes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are the low points on the tank, and what it rests on if you have it sitting on the floor. Having been a tech I can tell you I'm 98% confident the tech dragged it from parts to his bay...happens all the time. If he drags the whole box then he has to waste time cutting up and throwing the box away, if he deboxes it in parts its their problem. Part of a lazy tech that is trying to maximize flat rate time.

Now the "fake" code may be an issue worth reporting to corp, as it could be used to cover the pump screw up. Was it listed at the top of the RO in the customer concern section or the 'Cause; section. Sometimes the code is a non-visible code that only shows up on the scanners, but if thats the case it should be in the cause section from diagnosis, not the customer concern section.

I don't believe for a second that they would have installed a junkyard tank in your vehicle. As indicated above there is no point. They dont pay for it(they actually make a markup on it) and to submit the claim the system would have to see that they ordered a tank first.

Last edited:

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

It's obviously a shady dealer, they have no problem lying and cheating. They should be outed and people should refuse to go there until they get new management.

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is why I shy away from the dealer even for a simple oil change. I just inherently dont trust them.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unless that tank was being dragged flat on the ground full of fuel for a mile, there's no way it's going to gouge that badly. They're ridiculously light when new/empty.

If it looks that ridiculous from the outside, could you imagine what was in it? Probably has a used fuel pump/sending unit in it too.

This angers me when you're paying a dealer top dollar for OEM parts, knowledge and service and you get none of that along with lies and still pay top dollar.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my opinion there is no way that tank is new. I don't see how dragging an EMPTY plastic fuel tank across a smooth cement shop floor could put those kinds of gouges in it. They go the direction the a truck would be going if it bottomed out. If a Tech were to drag it assuming he even could without the filler neck in it wouldn't he drag it sideways because the filler neck attaches from the side? Like others I don't let anyone touch my truck other than myself and a dealer is the last place I would go if if for some reason it wasn't something I could fix myself. Unfortunately when your under warranty you really don't have a choice. I personally would have looked under the truck before I even got in it but that's just me. I Don't trust dealers. If it were me at this point I would go back to the dealer and politely ask if they could explain the damage on the tank and see what they say and then ask them about the phantom CEL for the fuel pump. I would insist on another tank. If they don't give you an acceptable explanation I would get FCA involved and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I am with the not new tank camp. To drag it flat across the floor means bending over or attaching a rope or something to it. Way too much work for a "lazy tech". When dragging something oblong. People usually lift one of the narrow ends and drag the opposite end which should put the scratches on the rear bottom corner. The depth and location of the scratches just don't fit dragging it across the floor.

PS. When I zoom in, it looks like gravel embedded in some of the deeper scratches. Hopefully the dealer doesn't have a gravel floor in their parts department or shop. Automotive dismantling and recycling facilities usually have grave in their lots.

Last edited:

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Used tank probably came complete with the fuel pump and they probably pocketed the other new tank and not ordered the fuel pump they broke !

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There’s also another possibility that the tank they received from the parts warehouse was somebody else’s old tank. I’ve seen that happen where a dealer sent back a part due to it being a “wrong part” when actually they were pulling a fast one on FCA. Clean it up so no one really notices then the parts centre ships that tank to someone else when they need it.

Still could have been damaged from shipping. I’ve seen some pretty messed up parts come from the distributors.

Policeboss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
The paperwork from the dealer is not enough. Most reputable dealers/owners are not going to pull something like. My first thought is to suspect the Mechanic. Did your new take end up on his or a friends truck that was swapped for yours thinking you would not realize what they had done. If you didn’t catch it straight away, they can just say that you must have done it after you drove away from the shop. That’s my 2 cents.

squeeky wheel gets the grease. Demand answers. Good Luck.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Anything short of a new tank and I'm getting corporate involved. Especially because they did it to cover up the fact they broke the fuel pump and wrote it up as a failure so warranty covered it.

Please do not hesitate to follow up with us on this via private message, @JLEONARD. I am more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey folks,
I brought my 18 Ram 1500 to the dealer because the truck would not take fuel. Pump just shut off every 5 seconds. I know this has been an issue in the past with other Rams and it requires a fuel tank replacement. They changed the filler neck first to see if that cured the problem. It didn't and I called the dealer 30 minutes later. That's how long it took to fill it. They told me they would order a new tank and call me when it came in. Ok I'm good with that.
I dropped the truck off on 5-5-20 for the tank swap. I get a call a day later saying the mechanic broke the fuel pump when taking the old tank out and they need to order a fuel pump. I get a call today saying the truck is done. I pick it up, drive home 10 minutes. Look under the truck to see my nice new fuel tank and what do I see? A tank that looks like it was bottomed out rock climbing, gouged in three spots.
So my issue is: if this is a used tank and not the updated version that doesn't fail, what if this one fails too? I have 4k left on my warrantee. It took my new truck's tank 30k Miles to fail. (Do I have the right to a new tank?) The paperwork is also written up as if I reported a check engine light on. It wasn't. I'm guessing that was to cover their ass on the fuel pump mishap.
Thoughts????
They probably thought you woudnt get under and check it out--I would be royally pissed!!

View attachment 206560

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey folks,
I brought my 18 Ram 1500 to the dealer because the truck would not take fuel. Pump just shut off every 5 seconds. I know this has been an issue in the past with other Rams and it requires a fuel tank replacement. They changed the filler neck first to see if that cured the problem. It didn't and I called the dealer 30 minutes later. That's how long it took to fill it. They told me they would order a new tank and call me when it came in. Ok I'm good with that.
I dropped the truck off on 5-5-20 for the tank swap. I get a call a day later saying the mechanic broke the fuel pump when taking the old tank out and they need to order a fuel pump. I get a call today saying the truck is done. I pick it up, drive home 10 minutes. Look under the truck to see my nice new fuel tank and what do I see? A tank that looks like it was bottomed out rock climbing, gouged in three spots.
So my issue is: if this is a used tank and not the updated version that doesn't fail, what if this one fails too? I have 4k left on my warrantee. It took my new truck's tank 30k Miles to fail. (Do I have the right to a new tank?) The paperwork is also written up as if I reported a check engine light on. It wasn't. I'm guessing that was to cover their ass on the fuel pump mishap.
Thoughts????

View attachment 206560
They probably didnt think you would climb under and check it out--man would I be royally pissed!

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That makes zero sense. The dealer doesn’t pay for parts under warranty. Why would they purchase a tank from a junk yard on their dime when they could get a new one from Mopar for free?
Im thinking they had a used one laying around and used it and put the new one on the shelf to sell later at full price.