Getting to,the bottom of my ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
Ok guys I don't think my ticking is a ticking at all but maybe an exhaust leak. What is all invloved in fixing this will I have to drill any studs out?

Thanks guys

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been having this same problem, I have a 09 Ram 1500 QC TRX4. I actually called the dealership today, and because I am not the original owner it is not covered under any warranty or anything. They said that if I bring it in to them and it is only the bolts that it would not cost anywhere over $250, she said if one broke off and the have to tear the engine apart to get them out it can go up to about $500-$550.

IDK how much of a help I am, but this is what a Dodge dealership told me.

OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
Eff that. I can do the work with the help of my dad. And if I had too I can take the head off and see my local machine shop

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Broken bolts are a common problem on these trucks. If it is an exhaust leak, then now is the time to upgrade to a set of headers as well. No point in going through all that work only to put the stock log manifolds back on.

OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I know. I can't afford a set of long tubes

Oh course if it is an exhaust leak I could deal with it and save cash for long tubes

Last edited:

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All I got changed on my exhaust was the muffler and the piping from there back, will the shortys plug in to the stock cats and stuff

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
All I got changed on my exhaust was the muffler and the piping from there back, will the shortys plug in to the stock cats and stuff

Yes...shorties bolt right up to the factory y-pipe...no cutting or welding required.

The ARH longtubes also bolt up easy...you would just clamp the back of their Y-pipe onto your existing exhaust.

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why are the arh headers so much more expensive? Lol

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Why are the arh headers so much more expensive? Lol

Because the ARH headers are a complete syetem, and not just a set of headers. They come with the headers, mandrel bent y-pipe, high flow cats, o2 sensor extensions, new bolts, new gaskets, and stainless clamps. Not to mention, they will make more than double the power that you get from a set of shorties.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Broken exhaust bolts are a fairly common problem and repaired/header installed by many of the folks on the forum. It just takes a little patience to get it done. It's a good DIY project.

OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
I'm going to start with the exhaust manifolds on the lpassenger side.. If its still there then off comes the heads for a valve and spring job

OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
Well guys I have concluded that my ticking is a broken exhaust manifold bolt. 2 to be exact. Both on cylender 8 passenger side.. Not so worried about it now as I thought it was more serious top end issue. Time to save for some arh long tubes.

Criscone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy just had same issue on his 09, he is second owner so dealer charged him $150 "deductible"

OP
OP
S

scHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 RAM SLT Crew
Engine
Hemi
I can do the job for less then that if I don't do long tube headers