How To: Install a 2018 4C (UAQ/UAS) Radio in 2013 - 2017 RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Going nuclear on the screen. I've discovered that what may seem like a really scuffed screen is actually a really scuffed factory anti glare laminate.

It is removable with heat, WD-40, Isopropyl Alcohol and patience. It also leaves you with a pristine screen you can apply a new screen protector to. Do not apply too much heat but the heat is necessary to pull the liner up. First the protector comes off and leaves adhesive. The adhesive gets soaked in WD-40 to soften it up. The alcohol gets the adhesive and WD-40 up. The final cleaning was performed with electronics cleaner.

I'm hoping it cured my phantom touch issue as well. The factory liner was peeling up at the corners I believe from the aforementioned oily substance that may have coated it in the accident.

93b4584dcff971fee5b00628bc3372cc.jpg7f1b69ddf16120c916a2983f4b5a0558.jpgd88529a48c8a9b4318917846629f09ee.jpg8bcad052be63c167f2b99966bad02a11.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
I can't edit my post for some reason but just wanted to say if you go to remove the factory anti-glare screen its easier (and probably safer for the screen) to just use a razor blade. The glass on the digitizer is pretty tough.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

David_411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
Just out of curiosity... I've been running a 4C nav unit in both my trucks for quite a while. I recently had the SXM option just vanish from my radio. I can still see the subscription as active in the SXM menu and even force it using Alfa to manually "test" the source over to it (it works for about 10 seconds and then goes back to the last source). Does anyone have any ideas? I don't see an option to disable or enable the SXM in the radio module or the BCM. If that doesn't work- should I try the radio from this 20 model truck- 1C6SRFJT1LN378787 ?https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C6SRFJT1LN378787

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
That's a 5th gen UAV radio with the disassociated/seperate screen. I wouldn't recommend it.

M² Mods.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just out of curiosity... I've been running a 4C nav unit in both my trucks for quite a while. I recently had the SXM option just vanish from my radio. I can still see the subscription as active in the SXM menu and even force it using Alfa to manually "test" the source over to it (it works for about 10 seconds and then goes back to the last source). Does anyone have any ideas? I don't see an option to disable or enable the SXM in the radio module or the BCM. If that doesn't work- should I try the radio from this 20 model truck- 1C6SRFJT1LN378787 ?https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C6SRFJT1LN378787
Did you disconnect the battery? If so it should come back on its own.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

This ^^^
The Panasonic radios don't finish their reset until the SXM button comes back and the backup cam works again

M² Mods.

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
This ^^^
The Panasonic radios don't finish their reset until the SXM button comes back and the backup cam works again

M² Mods.

It just disappeared one day after not driving the truck for a few weeks. I got into it and noticed the SXM button was missing but it was still working (which I thought was strange). I left the airport and hit FM on the way home and it won't go back. I've pulled the hidden radio fuse and it resets. The backup camera works as well as the other misc. icons that need to refresh from the BCM. When I force it to SXM using the mode selection tests in Alfa- even my presets are there and it works as it should.

Not to trigger it. I have since to try and regain my SXM icon. I've done quite a few of these conversions and this is the first time I've seen this happen.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@PJs97Talon
Did you contact SXM support to see if they could send a refresh signal?

Other than that, it sounds like the SXM module may have failed. (Failing/rebooting on my 5th gen truck radio as well)

M² Mods.

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
@PJs97Talon
Did you contact SXM support to see if they could send a refresh signal?

Other than that, it sounds like the SXM module may have failed. (Failing/rebooting on my 5th gen truck radio as well)

M² Mods.

I've sent refresh signals from the website. The SXM still works. The presets are still there. Just the icon to switch over to them is gone. I'm going to grab a micropod and see if I can see anything in WiTech that Alfa isn't showing that may need to be changed. I may just refresh everything back to as-built and then make my changes as needed again.

TriadGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It just disappeared one day after not driving the truck for a few weeks. I got into it and noticed the SXM button was missing but it was still working (which I thought was strange). I left the airport and hit FM on the way home and it won't go back. I've pulled the hidden radio fuse and it resets. The backup camera works as well as the other misc. icons that need to refresh from the BCM. When I force it to SXM using the mode selection tests in Alfa- even my presets are there and it works as it should.

Not to trigger it. I have since to try and regain my SXM icon. I've done quite a few of these conversions and this is the first time I've seen this happen.

Had the same issue. Mine never came back

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Hello All-

Ive been lurking out here a while and have learned A TON....and for that I say THANK YOU!!

I purchased a UAQ Radio off Ebay- Part # 68289296AA Appears to be a Compass/Cherokee unit.

Software Version 19.42.16
Application version USA-ASO-8.4-JR-30.24.0-20191016-JOHQ

I purchased all the pieces needed- Cables ...media unit...adapters etc.

Subd XM with No issues.

Install went PERFECTLY......Until............ I had a battery failure in my 2016 Ram 3500.

Now.....that being said.

Suddenly I have lost ALL XM icons.

I can use AlphaOBD to see Radio info....shows MY truck VIN.

Diagnostic mode will bring up XM perfectly.
BUT......No way to get it on screen.
Info screen shows I AM subd.

All else works Perfectly.....BUT it does show Jeep stuff in the Apps.......

Dealer could NOT get it to work ....
Ebay guy will NOT refund me.

ANY help out here????

I don't recommend this but if you're at your wits end and already running a Jeep Application version, an update may get you going again... Or may brick it...

See ClearlyStabile 's:
Additional (non Ram) UAQ UAS Update Files v28.3/v30.24/v33.02.
>>> May work as non authorized sw update for ram UAx radios. See thread for details (not recommended/mixed results) <<<

I've sent refresh signals from the website. The SXM still works. The presets are still there. Just the icon to switch over to them is gone. I'm going to grab a micropod and see if I can see anything in WiTech that Alfa isn't showing that may need to be changed. I may just refresh everything back to as-built and then make my changes as needed again.

Pjs97talon
What's your radio PN (& vehicle it came from if not a 4th Gen ram) and what application version are you running? (See above)

M² Mods.

Last edited:

Jhuss96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all,

I pulled apart the dash to verify the USB input was working on the rear of my UAQ. I was able to connect to it using a mini USB to USB dongle, after re-seating the USB cable in the rear of the radio, it now works perfectly!! Evidently it was knocked loose/not fully seated during the installation of the radio.

A HUGE thank you to @SitKneelBend and @Mpgrimm2 for helping me through the diagnostic steps and being so responsive on this thread. Seriously, you guys absolutely rock
pUFEc8I.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello all,

I pulled apart the dash to verify the USB input was working on the rear of my UAQ. I was able to connect to it using a mini USB to USB dongle, after re-seating the USB cable in the rear of the radio, it now works perfectly!! Evidently it was knocked loose/not fully seated during the installation of the radio.

A HUGE thank you to @SitKneelBend and @Mpgrimm2 for helping me through the diagnostic steps and being so responsive on this thread. Seriously, you guys absolutely rock
pUFEc8I.jpg
Glad it was an easy fix!

LHalat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Hello All, I was wondering if you could help me out...

I have a 2018 ram 2500 originally came with a 5.0 radio. I recently tried to upgrade my radio to a 8.4 UAS (68399198AF) radio from a 2019 ram 2500. I bought a conversion harness from 4th gen ram electronics and i got the the oem resistor(68048901AA), hvac module(68366553AA) and the hvac controls (found out this came off of a 2015 Ram 1UJ96DX9AJ). My issue is the climate controls dont show up on the radio and i could only control it from the upgraded hvac control bezel in which i only have two options on the window or to the floor. When i scanned the codes on alfaobd its said theres no communication with the radio even though the radio works perfectly final... even carplay works.

Thank you for your time

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

I have a 2018 ram 2500 originally came with a 5.0 radio. I recently tried to upgrade my radio to a 8.4 UAS (68399198AF) radio from a 2019 ram 2500. I bought a conversion harness from 4th gen ram electronics and i got the the oem resistor(68048901AA), hvac module(68366553AA) and the hvac controls (found out this came off of a 2015 Ram 1UJ96DX9AJ).
My issue is the climate controls dont show up on the radio and i could only control it from the upgraded hvac control bezel in which i only have two options on the window or to the floor. When i scanned the codes on alfaobd its said theres no communication with the radio even though the radio works perfectly final... even carplay works.

Thank you for your time

What did 4th Gen say or can't you get a hold of him?

** I personally think you should ask for your money back because if you look at the OP/first 5 posts, you will see that 5th gen 2019 ram radio isn't recommended for your truck upgrade ... & unfortunately that's what happens when the someone is only concerned with making a buck vs verifying what you have/need.

What about Auto Temp Control?
It probably wasn't mentioned at all because it's not something 4th Gen offers (& hasn't copied from us yet). ATC Part 1 for 2500's is built into all our conversion harnesses and is something you will likely need. Even Infotainment will direct people to us to get it. Unfortunately it will cost you more to add it after the fact with our universal add-on harness set.

Here's the difference...
I just installed a new UAQ in my 2019 Warlock and can not believe how well it all came out.

First I'd like to thank the people in this forum, and especially Mpgrimm2, tron67j, SitKneelBend, and Benny at AllMoparParts.com.

Prior to replacing the radio, I spend many days and read literally thousands of posts on this forum. I ordered the new unit through Benny, and it arrived a week after I placed the order. Following the instructions I got from this forum, I was able to remove the old radio and install the new one in less than 30 minutes. Normally when I work on a car, it's with a hammer and a credit card and nothing works right after I'm finished. But this time, when I started the truck, everything worked great. I still have trouble believing it all worked out so well.

I was really impressed that the new unit pretty well saved all my settings on the unit. It kept the settings on everything except my station presets on AM and FM. On the old UAS system, I had never activated the SiriusXM but it is up and running on the new unit. Also, I used AlphaOBD and set the Travel Link to yes and I now also have it working. I was surprised that nothing came up about activating a trial period or a request for credit card info or whatever. But in any event, it is all working. And it was totally plug and play with the exception of the Travel Link setting in Alpha.

Again, I want to say thank you to everyone in this forum.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

PJs97Talon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014/2016
Engine
3.0 and 6.7
I don't recommend this but if you're at your wits end and already running a Jeep Application version, an update may get you going again... Or may brick it...

See ClearlyStabile 's:
Additional (non Ram) UAQ UAS Update Files v28.3/v30.24/v33.02.
>>> May work as non authorized sw update for ram UAx radios. See thread for details (not recommended/mixed results) <<<

Pjs97talon
What's your radio PN (& vehicle it came from if not a 4th Gen ram) and what application version are you running? (See above)

M² Mods.

I don't have my truck right now to access the application version is as I'm traveling for work. The radio came from a 2018 1500 that was an early build truck. 1C6RR7PM0JS100062

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I have a 2018 ram 2500 originally came with a 5.0 radio. I recently tried to upgrade my radio to a 8.4 UAS (68399198AF) radio from a 2019 ram 2500. I bought a conversion harness from 4th gen ram electronics and i got the the oem resistor(68048901AA), hvac module(68366553AA) and the hvac controls (found out this came off of a 2015 Ram 1UJ96DX9AJ). My issue is the climate controls dont show up on the radio and i could only control it from the upgraded hvac control bezel in which i only have two options on the window or to the floor. When i scanned the codes on alfaobd its said theres no communication with the radio even though the radio works perfectly final... even carplay works.

Thank you for your time

I had never heard of 4th Gen Ram Electronics before last week but it seems that you are not the only member having an issue after purchasing their product.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/ra3-upgrade-problem-please-help.174383/#post-2463645

I would certainly consider returning your purchase and getting a full refund. I also highly recommend that you and anyone else here on the Forum would be miles ahead by purchasing from and doing business with M2Mods, a vendor here on the Forum. Their products and support are superior to anyone else in the market. I have purchased multiple harnesses and other products from them and will personally attest to the superiority of their product quality and professional integrity.

Last edited:

FizzikalJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Anyone have a 3D printed hub adapter or can someone make one? To mount the 2018 dual hub in my 2016? I saw some older posts that someone made some, but I attempted to reach out to him and he has not logged into the forum in like 2 years so I assume he won’t be replying to my PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk