Jscan - better than AlfaOBD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had never heard of Jscan before but I bought a Jeep recently (still have the Ram, both 2015 models) and needed to adjust tire size.

I was introduced to Jscan which works awesome on the Jeep - it looks like it has most of the stuff that AlfaOBD has but in an easier format. And it looks like it would work with Rams (they're on the menu... )

VIN licenses are $22 per vehicle so I haven't bought one yet for the Ram as I don't really need to do anything to it at the moment.

Anyone else have experience with Jscan on a Ram?

GJadYWI.jpg

FcwVXEU.jpg

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Subscribed. Looking forward to more comment on this. I've looked at AlphaOBD, but the threads are a million posts long and their website is not easy to understand. So an easier to use product would be very interesting to me.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Interesting. I loaded it up and connected to the truck. Looks like it doesn't have everything that Alfa has at this point. Also got an adapter error when connecting to one of the modules saying I needed a ELM327 adapter which I have with the OBDlink MX and it works perfect with Alfa so know that is not the issue.

Something to keep an eye on if they continue to develop and iron out the bugs. Looks like they have it for Apple so good option for those folks.

OP
OP
kurek

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the OBDLink MX with JSCAN on my 2015 Jeep Patriot and didn't have any kind of errors, corrected the tire size and disabled TPMS and fooled around with the OEM radio settings.

Will be interesting to see if other people have the same experience on Rams

OP
OP
kurek

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have an android device it's in the google play store just look for jscan. No idea about apple

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will admit I was apprehensive about using AlphaOBD for the reason stated above, there is just so much out there in the subject. But then I realized that is a good thing and I finally bought the plug, the security bypass and the app. I did have a glitch due to a change in the architecture but the fact that a lot of people use it was the best thing. I was helped quite a bit by Mpgrimm2 as I was using a harness I bought from him and figured out my problem. By the way he builds quality stuff, is a wealth of knowledge, and is a really nice guy and if you need any cables I highly recommend. Anyway, having those posts and videos from people like Big daddy's house (member here) plus all the other members who take the time to post and help is the reason why I felt confident enough to use the OBD. Good luck.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The app updated the other day but I haven't messed with it again (still only have the demo version) so have no idea what changed? Wish these companies would publish change logs so you can see what they updated?

Part of me wonders if someone took Alfa and just skinned over top of it or if this is a ground up new program?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The app updated the other day but I haven't messed with it again (still only have the demo version) so have no idea what changed? Wish these companies would publish change logs so you can see what they updated?

Part of me wonders if someone took Alfa and just skinned over top of it or if this is a ground up new program?

There was another program out, I think even before Alfa, called AppCarDiag. The dev let me trial run a full copy and it looked promising, but it really looked like they were not exposing all of the functionality the truck has. Lots of UI stuff, but things like enabling LEDs, etc would need to be added as UI elements that werent there.

It did download a database of features based on VIN, so potentially all of the things it could change are there, they just werent enabled yet....everything was a wizard type change, so there would need to be multiple UI elements for each feature. I havent used JScan but checking the demo really quick, it seems very similar. Versus AlfaOBD which seems like its just dumping the database of settings into drop downs and letting the user choose.

TBH I would look at JScan and AppCarDiag as a "novice" user alternative to AlfaOBD. most of the basic changes are already available and the UI walks you through everything. Alfa is there for the "big" stuff like adding keyless entry, heated/vented seats, etc.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ve got a Jscan license for my 2017 VIN. It is definitely nowhere NEAR as capable as AlfaOBD. It has your basic BCM settings changes that the average person would do, but there’s no BCM configurable inputs and outputs settings in the list to be able to change. There’s basically no RF Hub support, except for sending test signals to lock and unlock the doors, so no fob programming or threshold changes. About the only good thing is, it’ll run a quick scan on all modules in one shot, but if it pulls up faults in different modules, you still have to connect to each module to clear the faults. My opinion...it’s $24 for ONE vehicle VIN, so you’re already half way to AlfaOBD. Might as well just go with AlfaOBD for those that are on the fence between different apps.

OP
OP
kurek

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got a Jscan license for my 2017 VIN. It is definitely nowhere NEAR as capable as AlfaOBD. It has your basic BCM settings changes that the average person would do, but there’s no BCM configurable inputs and outputs settings in the list to be able to change. There’s basically no RF Hub support, except for sending test signals to lock and unlock the doors, so no fob programming or threshold changes. About the only good thing is, it’ll run a quick scan on all modules in one shot, but if it pulls up faults in different modules, you still have to connect to each module to clear the faults. My opinion...it’s $24 for ONE vehicle VIN, so you’re already half way to AlfaOBD. Might as well just go with AlfaOBD for those that are on the fence between different apps.

I know it's sort of comparing bananas and waffles but I have a license for AlfaOBD for my Ram and I have a VIN license for Jscan for my Patriot, and when I wanted to change the Ram's tire size and enable the trailer brake controller in AlfaOBD there were 3 or 4 different places I had to go to make sure the speedometer and the ABS and the body control module were all happy.. and I screwed it up a couple times and had to stare at a check ABS light until I just took it in to a Ram dealer because I ran out of time (moving to a new state, towing a trailer.. no more time to dink around) .

Meanwhile on my Jeep Patriot when I wanted to change tire size it's all just in one menu I pick whatever tire size I want and it's done in one step with no drama.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know it's sort of comparing bananas and waffles but I have a license for AlfaOBD for my Ram and I have a VIN license for Jscan for my Patriot, and when I wanted to change the Ram's tire size and enable the trailer brake controller in AlfaOBD there were 3 or 4 different places I had to go to make sure the speedometer and the ABS and the body control module were all happy.. and I screwed it up a couple times and had to stare at a check ABS light until I just took it in to a Ram dealer because I ran out of time (moving to a new state, towing a trailer.. no more time to dink around) .

Meanwhile on my Jeep Patriot when I wanted to change tire size it's all just in one menu I pick whatever tire size I want and it's done in one step with no drama.
Yup, there’s a few threads here on the tire size change with AlfaOBD that explains the exact steps for the tire size change and abs initialization process. It’s in the one of the known working lists in the first post of the AlfaOBD thread. That’s the other reason I would recommend AlfaOBD over jscan- the support, and known working features are plastered all over every FCA vehicle forum.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have both. I like the interface of the JSCAN a bit better (more initiative), but AlphaOBD has more capability.

JSCAN wasn't much - I think $20 when I got it? I figured...low risk to try, worst case, I'm out $20.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking about buying alpha might try this though

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I doubt it will be "better", but i'm going to try it because all of my devices are iOS. I want to get all the benefits of Alpha OBD without having to go buy an android device.
The OBDlink app for ios is pretty basic (unless there's something I've missed) The only thing it's really good for is reading and clearing codes.

I'll keep OBDlink on my phone for reading/clearing codes on my wife and friends cars, but I'll pay the $20 and keep Jscan just for my truck.

If anyone knows of an alternative for iOS devices I'm all ears though.

Livinalittle

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport, 6 speed, 4x4, 3.92
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I haven't specifically looked at TPMS, but I have no doubt that you can disable TPMS with either app.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having both programs and both iOS and Android I feel I can add to this. I started off with JScan on a hemi Jeep wk on iOS and I purchased a license for my 16 Ram aswell. I also bought a cheap android phone and picked up alfaobd for my ram because it has a few features that you can’t do with the JScan such as odometer correction and changing the evic splash screen and things like that.

I will say, Alfa for sure has far more in depth changes that can be made vs. the JScan.

price for price....

JScan I already had an iPhone (works for android also) the app was free, the vin license was $18 . Will cost more if you plan to use on more vehicles since you have to purchase vin licenses.

Alfa, bought a $30 android phone and paid $50 For the app. No vin licenses to purchase.

JScan has a FAR superior i user interface and nowhere near as clunky as alpha. I never had to worry about breaking something if I click a wrong button the way I do on Alfa lol. JScan there is no wait time when changing settings like there is on Alfa. JScan you can easily change things like TPMS, speedo corrections and such and without needing a 4 digit pin like on Alfa. The guy that runs JScan has pretty damn good customer services and always messages me back on social media when I have questions or concerns.

That being said, Alfa still does a lot more than JScan and has potential to do even more yet as people continue to unlock its potential.

I think Alfa would take off like a rocket if they made 2 very important changes. Add support for iOS and overhaul the user interface.

mas for which I think you should purchase?. I would purchase both (I did lol) they both are good tools to have on hand if you own a Chrysler product and they both have their place in my arsenal.

BUT, if you must choose one.... weigh out what your situation is first. Do you have iOS?.... do you want to a simple fogs on with highbeamed setting or enable led headlights/turns or adjust speedometer only looking to spend under $20...... then get the JScan.

if you have android and you are looking to do things like program miles after a 7” evic swap, or program spare keys or other pretty in depth enabling of features... and you don’t mind spending a little extra on the initial investment than go AlfaOBD.

I hope that helps folks make the decision a little easier on what they should get .