Manifold screws

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took my truck to have these darn manifold bolts fixed under warranty.
They got all the bolts out of the heads but one. That one bolt they could not get to so they have to replace one head (passenger). Here’s a picture i took

1697909600760.jpeg

1697909633030.jpeg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you telling me they don't have anyone in that shop that can weld a nut onto that stud and wind it out? Rediculous.

With that much hanging out of the head is it really even necessary?

Spray some Kroil, apply some heat to the stud, latch on some vise grips...can't believe it wouldn't break loose by itself.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Took my truck to have these darn manifold bolts fixed under warranty.
They got all the bolts out of the heads but one. That one bolt they could not get to so they have to replace one head (passenger). Here’s a picture i took

View attachment 530449

View attachment 530450
I'd find a welder with a rig truck,give him a couple hundred bucks to weld a nut on for you,as whoever did the initial weld isn't very good by the looks of that weld. With a good weld the stud should wind out pretty easily.Sounds like a poor shop,or one that wants to give it to you,if they want to replace the head because of that stud.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If they got you to buy a replacement head, likely they would tell you that the old head was trash, then they would pull the head off & either fix it, or send it to a machine shop.
Then sell it to someone else.

Either they are not good mechanics, or they are just out to sell parts & labor

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you telling me they don't have anyone in that shop that can weld a nut onto that stud and wind it out? Rediculous.
If you look closely at the pictures i posted you can see they tried and failed.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have spent a few hours trying to get them out sometimes its easy sometimes it takes time/work they probably tried twice and went NOPE dont go to a dealer you 100% do not need a new head i would tow it out of there asap.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The guy they had welding on it,wasn't very good,if he'd got a decent weld between a nut and stud,and the stud didn't come out,it should of broke at the head. They're taking you to the cleaners.Get them to pull the head,and then take it to a welding shop and have a good welder weld a nut to the stud,and i'd lay odds the stud will wind out pretty easily.If nothing else you could grind it flush with the head and then drill it and use an easy out

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you telling me they don't have
With that much hanging out of the head is it really even necessary?

Spray some Kroil, apply some heat to the stud, latch on some vise grips...can't believe it wouldn't break loose by itself.
Buddy, that’s the screw they tried to weld to the broken piece

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Buddy, that’s the screw they tried to weld to the broken piece
That's where they screwed up,they should of welded a washer to the broke off bolt,then welded a nut to the washer.Even if the broke off bolt is below the surface of the head,you fill the cavity created by the washer with weld,then weld a nut to the washer. normal weld won't stick to the aluminium head.There's a pile of video's on youtube showing how to do it properly,they didn't do it properly.
If they suck you into a new head,make sure you get the old head back,as you could probably sell it,or fix it yourself and have a spare head.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That was a horrible "bird S**t" weld. The "welder" needs to go get some training or they need to get actual welder. They are just trying to sell a new head.

That is 99.5% repairable.

OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
from a mechanic standpoint, there is incentive in that screw being “broken” in the head. (More work) It’s money in their pocket. Honestly, I myself thought it looked a bit suspect but then again wth do I know?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cmz2800

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If bolts are being replaced under some kind of warranty, shouldn’t the head be covered as well?
It’s not your fault the mechanic is unable to extract it
My truck was out of warranty already but after numerous weeks of waiting, they finally approved covering the work to fix it. Only thing I had to pay was a $250 co-pay. But then this happened. So it went from being a $1300 job to being a $5k job. They haven’t approved this yet (has to go through Chrysler) so I’m waiting on that. For now they gave me a Cherokee loaner and my service advisor told me that they will probably have my car for about a month because the parts are in back order.
My car has been at the dealer one week and already they put a scratch on my front bumper…. I told the service manager and without hesitation he said they would fix. I’m just concerned of any more dents/scratches.

1697999023278.jpeg

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck was out of warranty already but after numerous weeks of waiting, they finally approved covering the work to fix it. Only thing I had to pay was a $250 co-pay. But then this happened. So it went from being a $1300 job to being a $5k job. They haven’t approved this yet (has to go through Chrysler) so I’m waiting on that. For now they gave me a Cherokee loaner and my service advisor told me that they will probably have my car for about a month because the parts are in back order.
My car has been at the dealer one week and already they put a scratch on my front bumper…. I told the service manager and without hesitation he said they would fix. I’m just concerned of any more dents/scratches.

View attachment 530516
Man…I feel for you.