Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Falken Wildpeak AT3/W

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looking to get new tires for my truck (2018 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4). I currently have BFGoodrich KO2s and although they're great tires, they never had very good traction on wet surfaces. I'm trying to decide between the ridge grapplers and the falken wildpeaks. Overall, here is what I'm curious about and want to know which tire performs best in these categories:

1. Tread life (My KO2s have 65,000 miles on them and are just now at 4/32")
2. Best in terms of traction on wet surfaces
3. Road noise and ride comfort

Also if it helps, my tire size is 275/60R20
I put LT295/60/20 Falken Wild Peak AT3W on my Rebel from stock 18
Mine are E rated and and R
No experience with other brand you asked.

I find the Falken's better than stock. Do well in heavy rain. I'm also using them to off-road every weekend.
Plan on using them in the winter as they are snow rated.

Keifus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I just picked up a set of Cooper Discover ATP 265/60R20 and I’m absolutely happy with them coming from the K02’s. They’re quite, great traction and very smooth going over bumps.

Attachments

• 594B6B24-0331-4F57-BCA5-E31D4AD3F3DF.png
    594B6B24-0331-4F57-BCA5-E31D4AD3F3DF.png
    810.7 KB · Views: 20

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m running Cooper AT3 4S . 20000 miles on them. Good in the rain, snow and dry roads. They run quite and smooth. I rotate every every 5000 miles, they do have the snowflake symbol. I also run them at 40 psi. Only downside is I lost close to 2 mpg as compared to the stock Goodyear’s.

If you check these out, these are upgraded from the old Cooper AT3. The older model is still sold at places like Walmart.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
FWIW, Terra Grapplers are supposed to have better treadlife than Ridge Grapplers. I've been pretty happy with my Terra Grapplers for the past 3 years or so.

alex6666

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 slt
Engine
About 15k into a set of falken wildpeaks. Good ride/road noise. For wear they seem to have worn quite a bit for 15k. wet weather good. Snow....while they have performed ok the read is really quite flat and as i live in kamloops bc canada we get a fair amount of snow and i'm not overly confident in them. I run one tire all year long. Offroad....i do some light offroad and while they have been okay again the tread pattern doesn't give me confidence in anything other than dry light offroad. All in all i'll probably switch when these run out, which looking at the wear i think i'll be lucky to get 40k

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll pile on to the Ridge Grapplers. Mine were easy to balance and drive nice and quiet, but they behave on wet streets like an ice rink. There's no way I could get through a winter with them. Can't wait till they wear out.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My friend as the ridge grapplers, I have the at3w's. The ridge grapplers are louder and are wearing faster for him.

I've had no issues and have made it through a couple swamps that have gave others problems.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I liked my at3w but they are rock magnets and if you drive gravel roads they fling gravel like crazy when yoy get up to speed. I like my toyo rt’s better.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My friend as the ridge grapplers, I have the at3w's. The ridge grapplers are louder and are wearing faster for him.

I've had no issues and have made it through a couple swamps that have gave others problems.
Interesting as my RG’s are crazy quiet. Honestly when I bought the truck with them on it I expected them to be somewhat noisy. They have almost no road noise to them.

friedturkeyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok... since some one brought up the general grabbers, has anyone else bought any? This will be the first set of tires that ive needed to buy and i cant really decide whats the best all terrain to get.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Interesting as my RG’s are crazy quiet. Honestly when I bought the truck with them on it I expected them to be somewhat noisy. They have almost no road noise to them.
I thought the same until they started wearing down a bit. They get louder over time.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought the same until they started wearing down a bit. They get louder over time.
Huh, mine have about 1/3 of the tread left and still dead quiet.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ok... since some one brought up the general grabbers, has anyone else bought any? This will be the first set of tires that ive needed to buy and i cant really decide whats the best all terrain to get.

Family is on 3rd set in 3 years on 3 different trucks - that's how much we like 'em.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Huh, mine have about 1/3 of the tread left and still dead quiet.
I guess it's all relative. Just took mine off for the winter, but still a fair bit of tread and I found them quiet when I first got them, but find them noisy now. Not unbearable or anything, but I do notice them.IMG_20211114_1325084.jpg

Moparian1221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm alittle biased as I make them, but the Wildpeak is just a great all around tire. Also check eBay. I've been able to find the best prices plus free shipping from some of the sellers on there.

SlothRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
Going off the board a bit, but recently Midas had an INSANE sale, buy 4 get 1 free, and I couldn't pass up getting a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs for my 2017 2500 with 20" tires. Also got a $70 mail in rebate. Called my guy at Belle Tire and he couldn't even begin to match the sale, told me to buy them from Midas. If you're not in the market now but will be next year keep an eye out for that sale next October. They look great, agressive but quiet on the road, and made in the USA. So far great traction on wet surfaces. We'll see when the snow really starts here in Michigan.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
FWIW, Terra Grapplers are supposed to have better treadlife than Ridge Grapplers. I've been pretty happy with my Terra Grapplers for the past 3 years or so.
My ram came with worn 4 ply terra grapplers (265/70/17) Ive since lifted it a bit since the po had it lowered and added 295/70/18 e rated 10 ply tires mickey thompson AT and I hate them tey ride like a dump truck. I dislike them so much I just ordered 4 (or possible 6 ply dont remember) 295/70/18 terra grapplers because they sell them in the lighter ply and weight. each tire weights 51bls vs 69 which is what I have now. My fuel mileage really tanked with the tires I have now and im hoping to get some of that back. For reference
Years ago I had a lifted wrangler with the 2.5 4cyl. I had the 5 speed stick and 31.5 4 ply kelly safari tires... I decided to put 32" bfg mud tires on it.... well that change alone made it such a dog I couldnt use 5th gear on the highway anymore and hold highway speeds and my mileage went down the toilet since I was always over gassing it and it was always struggling. Then I had the 4.10 gears swapped with 4.56 gears. It was like a new jeep all over again. My gas mileage improved dramatically in all types of driving. And I was able to use 5th gear again.

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Falken tires. They are made about 10 minutes from my house I believe at the old dunlop tire plant which used to be a customer of mine for years. My girlfriend and both her parents worked there for years also. unfortunately that doesnt get me any discounts lol..

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
My ram came with worn 4 ply terra grapplers (265/70/17) Ive since lifted it a bit since the po had it lowered and added 295/70/18 e rated 10 ply tires mickey thompson AT and I hate them tey ride like a dump truck. I dislike them so much I just ordered 4 (or possible 6 ply dont remember) 295/70/18 terra grapplers because they sell them in the lighter ply and weight. each tire weights 51bls vs 69 which is what I have now. My fuel mileage really tanked with the tires I have now and im hoping to get some of that back. For reference
Years ago I had a lifted wrangler with the 2.5 4cyl. I had the 5 speed stick and 31.5 4 ply kelly safari tires... I decided to put 32" bfg mud tires on it.... well that change alone made it such a dog I couldnt use 5th gear on the highway anymore and hold highway speeds and my mileage went down the toilet since I was always over gassing it and it was always struggling. Then I had the 4.10 gears swapped with 4.56 gears. It was like a new jeep all over again. My gas mileage improved dramatically in all types of driving. And I was able to use 5th gear again.

Rotating weight is the worst weight. The power used to spin the weight isn't being used to move the weight forward. Lighter things to spin eat up less of the available power.

I very seldom haul anything heavy. When I do, it's at low speeds and for short distances. I do not "offroad" anything more than rutted out logging roads or wet weeds. I, do, however, run 80-85 mph on the interstate. For my purposes the lighter tire is ideal. Better acceleration, better fuel economy, more available power, better stopping, quiet, decent tread life. Others may have different needs, of course, but for similar use I do suggest considering the terra grapplers.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I should clarify that they sell the terra grapplers in both the 10 ply and the lighter configuration. The 50.5lb 295/70r18 tires I bought also come in a 10 ply version that weighs 65lbs... for comparison the 31.5 terra grappler I got 34mpg on the highway with weighed just 41bs and the 10 ply version of that same size tire weighed more than the larger 34" version I just bought.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
About 15k into a set of falken wildpeaks. Good ride/road noise. For wear they seem to have worn quite a bit for 15k. wet weather good. Snow....while they have performed ok the read is really quite flat and as i live in kamloops bc canada we get a fair amount of snow and i'm not overly confident in them. I run one tire all year long. Offroad....i do some light offroad and while they have been okay again the tread pattern doesn't give me confidence in anything other than dry light offroad. All in all i'll probably switch when these run out, which looking at the wear i think i'll be lucky to get 40k
Same here, love the tire but seems to be wearing very fast for me. I did kill the stock RSA's in 16K as well though (well to about 4-6/32).

I'm on the fence about trying to make it through the winter on them honestly. I have about 20,000miles on them and they are getting low for sure.

Love them and have no complaints, but not 100% sure I will run them again.

FWIW I do drive my truck like a car and take turns faster than I should if I really want tires to last.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio