Power Wagon Quirks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Here is the video I was referring to in the OP.
I wonder if the guy in the video is from California. I noticed the fuel nozzle appears to be of the "fumes recycle" kind where one has to put the nozzle quite a ways into the filler neck to trigger the sensor on the nozzle that there is a good air seal and then allowing the fuel flow into the tank. I also noticed that at first he did squeeze the handle tightly so that the fuel was at max flow.

Since PW run on Unleaded Gasoline, they have the restrictor plate at the top of the filler neck to prevent the use of Leaded Gasoline. I would say from watching his video, he will have to lift up on the back of the nozzle like he demonstrated and maybe he should try using a lower pressure setting on the auto fill lever on the fuel nozzle. Back off the pressure and raise the back of the nozzle to get better airflow allowing the air to escape the tank as it is being filled.

I'm lucky in that I have a diesel engine and my fuel neck is more open to allow the air in the tank to escape while I fuel up the truck.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You guys gas nozzle stops?!

Joke aside, like @Trailmaker I sometime have to pull the nozzle a bit.

I had to adjust the hood to keep it from jumping. Easy peasy.

IMG_20200131_161447.jpg

Edit:
I never leave the cap hanging!
It fell while panickingly removing the nozzle
:boxed:

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
The beef I have with the gas tank is that 31gal is not big enough. 36 gallons at least or a dual tank. The PW is/can be for adventure. By the time you get out to your spot or to the end of a trail you have to take you Jerry can out and and refuel so you can get back to the pump.
And if you use the miles till empty gauge, you will be disappointed that you have 3 gallons left in the tank after you took it to Zero. I am still crying about this I know. Lol. I take it 20-30 miles past 0 now.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/new-power-wagon-heading-to-the-smoky-mountains.149377/page-2

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see videos of people carrying extra gas in like a rotopax. How safe is it to carry extra gas in the bed?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The beef I have with the gas tank is that 31gal is not big enough. 36 gallons at least or a dual tank. The PW is/can be for adventure. By the time you get out to your spot or to the end of a trail you have to take you Jerry can out and and refuel so you can get back to the pump.
And if you use the miles till empty gauge, you will be disappointed that you have 3 gallons left in the tank after you took it to Zero. I am still crying about this I know. Lol. I take it 20-30 miles past 0 now.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/new-power-wagon-heading-to-the-smoky-mountains.149377/page-2

One thing to consider when your running your fuel level right down to the wire is your fuel pump longevity. The fuel in your tank actually cools the in tank fuel pump when it's running. and 3-4 gallons cools better than 1-2 gallons. For an example My wife had a 2003 Chevy Tahoe and she/we would always refill her tank when it got to a quarter tank. I had a friend with a similar vintage GMC Yukon and he was putting fuel pumps in every 30,000 miles. The difference was he'd run his tank down to fumes with the gas light on every time before refueling.

BTW, my dad now own's that Tahoe. It still has the factory fuel pump from 2003

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
One thing to consider when your running your fuel level right down to the wire is your fuel pump longevity. The fuel in your tank actually cools the in tank fuel pump when it's running. and 3-4 gallons cools better than 1-2 gallons. For an example My wife had a 2003 Chevy Tahoe and she/we would always refill her tank when it got to a quarter tank. I had a friend with a similar vintage GMC Yukon and he was putting fuel pumps in every 30,000 miles. The difference was he'd run his tank down to fumes with the gas light on every time before refueling.

BTW, my dad now own's that Tahoe. It still has the factory fuel pump from 2003
Good to know. Glad I got the 100k warranty. If I filled up when the light came on each time, I would have to get gas every 3-4 days.

Deplorable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2018 power wagon 28,500 miles
Quirks are: 4wd shift in progress message flashes when you let off gas peddle, skips at idle, smokes at start up once in a while, radio goes wide open sometimes, in mornings for about 5 miles smell a chemical scent.
All issues dealers says no check engine light,,,,, no problem.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 power wagon 28,500 miles
Quirks are: 4wd shift in progress message flashes when you let off gas peddle, skips at idle, smokes at start up once in a while, radio goes wide open sometimes, in mornings for about 5 miles smell a chemical scent.
All issues dealers says no check engine light,,,,, no problem.
You need a new dealer! Check engine light has nothing to do with those electric issues.

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I agree. I wish the tank were larger too.

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well guys when FCA builds trucks again, I will order a PW. Despite the quirks I am sold. I wish I could find one on the lot with the options that I wanted but pickins are slim.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well guys when FCA builds trucks again, I will order a PW. Despite the quirks I am sold. I wish I could find one on the lot with the options that I wanted but pickins are slim.

You won't be disappointed.
That's the baddest truck you can buy.
No one seats as high.
No one's as macho.
No one's as off road capable.

Hope you find a deal on a lot!

Cheers

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not seeing any online in dealership inventory with Ramboxes. I've checked MT and a few surrounding states.

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow! Thanks brother. Checking those out now.

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That blue one is close. I would like a front camera and no sunroof. Hmmm.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That blue one is close. I would like a front camera and no sunroof. Hmmm.

I was in the same boat with the options. I didn't really think I wanted a sunroof and would rather save the money. The dealership down the road from me had one with the sunroof, and there was one a few hundred miles away with no sunroof (every other option was the same). The local dealership gave me a deal I couldn't pass up so I ended up with the sunroof. Maybe it's the mild weather or the fact that getting out and driving around is the only thing you can really do at the moment where I live, but I've used the sunroof more than I have in any other vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007